Jesu: Conquerer

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Anyone listen to the new Jesu album? Opinions?

I've given it about three listens, and I have very mixed feelings. In my opinion it does not match the genius of the S/T and the single Silver. Essentially, Broderick has taken the songs of the S/T, and toned them down--toned them down quite a bit actually. I will say a few songs are quite excellent, but not in that mesmerizing way found in the S/T and Silver. I think its because the dark murky heaviness of the old albums has been lost. I get sort of a tepid melancholy from the album, rather than a strange trance-like ecstasy of the s/t. Still a worthwhile album, but one that will most likely collect dust apart from the occasional listen.

I agree that it's not as good as either the s/t or the Silver EP but I think it is still a worthwhile listen.

I haven't heard the s/t or the Silver EP but I think Conqueror is completely awesome. I like just about everything about it. One of the best shoegazer albums I've ever heard, if not the best.

Then you need to get a hold of Heartache, the s/t, and Silver, and you'll see why most people are disappointed.

Just got the selftitled and Silver, and I see speed's point even less. Silver is very similar to Conqueror, just with the vocals lower in the mix, more guitar distortion, and with the guitars higher in the mix. The same basic ideas are still in place. I would say Conqueror is the best I've heard yet, but I've only heard part of the first song on the s/t so far.

Just got the selftitled and Silver, and I see speed's point even less. Silver is very similar to Conqueror, just with the vocals lower in the mix, more guitar distortion, and with the guitars higher in the mix. The same basic ideas are still in place. I would say Conqueror is the best I've heard yet, but I've only heard part of the first song on the s/t so far.

That was my point.

I've given it about three listens, and I have very mixed feelings. In my opinion it does not match the genius of the S/T and the single Silver. Essentially, Broderick has taken the songs of the S/T, and toned them down--toned them down quite a bit actually. I will say a few songs are quite excellent, but not in that mesmerizing way found in the S/T and Silver. I think its because the dark murky heaviness of the old albums has been lost. I get sort of a tepid melancholy from the album, rather than a strange trance-like ecstasy of the s/t. Still a worthwhile album, but one that will most likely collect dust apart from the occasional listen.

The album follows the same pattern as his previous ones, but essentially is not as heavy. He's toned it all down. And wheres the contrast in the new album? I loved the melody mixed with that dark depressive distortion and heaviness . Its gone. So, it really isnt too different, other than his singing is more in the forefront, and the distortion and guitars are toned down. So thats just my opinion.

from what i have heard i am surprised i thought it would be more calim and toned down with a mixture of brief metal undertones....but still good

I was listioning to the new conquerer online and so far i like it better then the s/t. I like the pop undertones. I dont know i really like it so far.