Jewel Case vs Digipack

Jewel Case or Digipack?

• Jewel Case

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Digipack

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do. When digipacks first came out years ago I loved them, but now I think they kinda suck. The edges and pretty much the whole package gets all worn waaaay too quickly, and the colors usually look much better in the booklet in the jewel case. Plus, in my eyes the whole "glassy" look and feel of a jewel case CD can't be beaten.

I bought this album 2 or 3 months ago:
2013-04-19%2014.10.58.jpg

How is this supposed to last my whole life? And I barely use CDs, I buy them, rip them and keep them in a collection, except when I take them to the car cause I always leave 3 or 4 CDs in the car in case I'm too lazy/hurried to plug in my iPhone.

I prefer jewel cases as well, but they are pretty easy to crack. I've even seen a lot of jewel cases at retail stores that were already cracked. However, you can easily replace cracked ones and just transfer the graphic inserts.

Digipack all the way. CD cases are as good as dead IMO. The last CD I bought was probably 3-4 years ago, and as soon as it was ripped to my PC, I didn't touch it again. Just a waste of space now. Especially when I was in uni, having to move house every year with all these CD's and DVD's and games. They just get in the way. I much prefer a digipack with hi-res artwork, than a crappy little CD booklet that gets ripped and damaged everytime you try and get it out of the case.

^I'm not sure you understood the term "digipack" right.
It doesn't mean the digital version of a CD.

Voted digipack here.
I'm a fan of physical CD's, but if there's a digipack version then I most of the time prefer that one.
I don't mind if they get a bit worn, cause I have more CD's with cracked plastic parts then ripped/worn digipacks.

Made my bands cd a digipack version, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150135181222567.297837.374839552566&type=3, and I still dig it

I'm also a huge sucker for steelbook editions of DVD's.

^I'm not sure you understood the term "digipack" right.
It doesn't mean the digital version of a CD.

Voted digipack here.
I'm a fan of physical CD's, but if there's a digipack version then I most of the time prefer that one.
I don't mind if they get a bit worn, cause I have more CD's with cracked plastic parts then ripped/worn digipacks.

Made my bands cd a digipack version, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150135181222567.297837.374839552566&type=3, and I still dig it

I'm also a huge sucker for steelbook editions of DVD's.

:lol: Hahaha, really? My bad. That doesn't make any sense to me - I understood that the 'digi' part meant 'digital', if not, what the hell does it stand for? So a digipack is just a cardboardy version of a jewel case? What's the big deal then?

:lol: Hahaha, really? My bad. That doesn't make any sense to me - I understood that the 'digi' part meant 'digital', if not, what the hell does it stand for? So a digipack is just a cardboardy version of a jewel case? What's the big deal then?

I thought the same thing as you up until RIGHT NOW. :lol:

When digipacks came out there was barely an internet, let alone MP3's or music for download. I still have the NIN "broken" digipack I bought in 1992. CD's ARE digital. It was a clever name at the time.

Practical? jewel case, if it breaks you just put all the inserts in a new case and done.

But I find the digipacks nice, If I can, I always buy digipack versions. Just a matter of looks I guess.

Jewel cases, in the fact one main reason I bought the deluxe version of the new Ghost album yesterday is that the regular version was in digipak form and the deluxe version was a jewel case.

I'm pretty indifferent for the most part as all my CD's get instantly ripped to FLAC within a few hours of getting them (they don't even tend to hit my CD player in my car on the way home) and then stored away pretty much forever. In some ways I guess I prefer jewel cases simply for the fact that the booklet is always separate from the case - can't stand the glued in books in digipacks like some come as now. If the booklet comes in a pocket in the digipack that's fine, but hate the glued in booklet as is common.

Another thing I hate is a little rubber bump to hold the CD in the digipack, as was found on a couple recent purchases, instead of a pocket sleeve. Once you removed the CD for the first time it would never really stick back in place consistently.

Glued in booklets suck ass, the latest My Dying Bride album comes in a big book-like box a bit thicker than a standard digipack (cause it comes with a DVD), when I saw it in the store I loved the packaging so I bought it right away, but the booklet is fucking glued to the pack, it's super annoying cause it's just so awkward to hold the whole box with one hand and turning pages with the other.

Yeah jewel cases break, when I was a kid I used to keep them all in ziplock bags as extra protection, but now I barely ever take them out of their place, but they're easy to replace. Digipacks on the other hand get all worn and you're screwed. It also depends on the digipack, I noticed I've got some 10+year old digipacks that are in much better conditions than my two month old Tristania album (go to hell Pedro, I love that album! Hahaha)