jmp-1

covil

johny bigode
Mar 22, 2007
a friend of mine gave me his jmp-1, so that i could use it on some recording im doing right now.
it's been a week now, and i still don't get any good sound from it.
i've tried everything i could thing of, but for nown, no luck!!!
for rythm guitars, it always sounds so shity.
is it just me, or this thing is a peace of crap???

does anyone got lucky with this???

if you do, please tell me how!!
eq settings; anything!!

I have it and I use it for demo recordings.
My signal path is:
BCRich USA with a PAFPro in Bridge position -> JMP-1 (Speaker simulated line-out) -> H&K RedBox (also Speaker simulation on) -> DI Box (which is a cheap crap) -> Soundcraft desk -> Motu -> Nuendo

But the DI Box is so crappy that it takes almost everything from the signal. Still I get a sound I can work with (I just boost the highs about 2 - 3 dB).

In Nuendo I just cut the bass on the guitar tracks (somewhere around 140 - 180 Hz depending on the Q) and add the Waves C4 with Andy's setting (just tweaked a little).

Off course when adding vocals I have to make some room for them ....

I don't have a sample here right now and I have no clue about the settings on the JMP-1 'cause I haven't changed them for a long time but, if you like, I can look for them on the weekend.

the JMP-1 REALLY needs an amp and cab combo to make it work. they do sound good but they are not meant for di recording no matter what those things say on the back of them woth those Di thingys

Love Curran

Yeah, can't remember the settings really, just played around with it for a bit. I think I used a PodXT Tube Screamer emulation before it. The preamp went into a Marshall EL34 100/100 poweramp and then into a 1960. That was mic'd with a 57 very slightly off axis into a Presonus pre, and then into a MOTU 896HD converter.

Yeah, can't remember the settings really, just played around with it for a bit. I think I used a PodXT Tube Screamer emulation before it. The preamp went into a Marshall EL34 100/100 poweramp and then into a 1960. That was mic'd with a 57 very slightly off axis into a Presonus pre, and then into a MOTU 896HD converter.[i do

i do own a tube screamer. so i think i'll give it another try.
thanks for sharing:kickass:

I always had great success with mine when I owned one. I wish I still had it. I used it with a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp. I replaced one side with 6L6Gc tubes. I also used it with a Peavey Classic 120/120 power amp which sounded a little better.

I ran a Rocktron intelliflex unit before the poweramp and did some post EQ, then ran the whole rig into a Marshall 1960 vintage cab but that preamp sounds a little bright with V30s. I bought a regular 1960A cabinet with celestion T75s just for this preamp and I thought it sounded much much better.

This is the same setup that Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones uses and I absolutely loved his tone on Around the Fur.

Here's the only clip I have left of it (Not the best either). I was recording a band a few years ago and messing with their mic positions on this sample.
JMP-1 into the Peavey poweramp then into a Marshall 1960A > SM57 straight on, 1 inch to side of center. No post EQ.

Click here

I have it...and it sounds good.....my chain is:
Jmp1-marshall el34 100+100-bbe-midiverb4- Marshall 1960
But my cobra sounds better!!:lol: :lol:

I worked with a band a few months back with a JMP-1 based guitar rig and I got an awesome tone out of it for the style of music (I only did guitar tracks and consulted on the guitar tracking, the mixing etc is Karl Groom)

Check out the first three tracks on the Crimson Tears MySpace player, there's just two tracks of guitar.