JMP-1 noob Question

edlamb0306

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hey guys, I can't seem to find a good explanation as to whether this will work so I thought I'd make the question below my first post. (Hoorah for generic 1st post greeting!) I hope I've posted it in the right place aswell.

Alright, I think I know what the answer will be (No) but It's worth a go anyway.

I want to buy a JMP-1 (because they're dirt cheap used over here (UK)) for bedroom practice, occasional recording and then be able to port it over to a live environment. Essentially to avoid buying and selling lots of equipment in the future. So my question is, will I be able to use it at bedroom levels? Would it be possible to use some sort of amplifier to plug it into monitors or would it only be possible to use it with a Power amp + cab at volumes ill-fitting for any decent tone past 2, i.e. in no way bedroom levels.

Please excuse the noobishness... ness...

So I guess it all boils down to:
How do this? will i gets bR00t4l tonez? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Hi !
I own a JMP-1.
It's only a preamp.
The best way to use it for bedroom practice is to plug it straight into a line input on your DAW, and apply some cab IR.
I think it's the cheaper and easiest solution, but you'll need to have your DAW in your bedroom.

There's also a phone output, but I've never tried it and I don't know if you'll hear the raw preamp sound or if there's some sort of cab sim on it.
I can try it if you want.

Oh and for the tones, here is a clip I did with JMP-1 + IR (the free God's cab Mesa OS 4x12) :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6120012/Studio/Masters/PERSO/TRUIE%20Compo2%20TEST.mp3
If I remember correctly, there's also my Maxon OD808, and I added a Boss HM-2 for the "blast" part (but this part sound bad, it was just a try).

Hi !
I own a JMP-1.
It's only a preamp.
The best way to use it for bedroom practice is to plug it straight into a line input on your DAW, and apply some cab IR.
I think it's the cheaper and easiest solution, but you'll need to have your DAW in your bedroom.

There's also a phone output, but I've never tried it and I don't know if you'll hear the raw preamp sound or if there's some sort of cab sim on it.
I can try it if you want.

Oh and for the tones, here is a clip I did with JMP-1 + IR (the free God's cab Mesa OS 4x12) :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6120012/Studio/Masters/PERSO/TRUIE%20Compo2%20TEST.mp3
If I remember correctly, there's also my Maxon OD808, and I added a Boss HM-2 for the "blast" part (but this part sound bad, it was just a try).

Awesome! Did you put any sort of Interface in between the JMP-1 and the PC?

I'm guessing then, that I could plug an amplifier and monitors into the line-out (correct term?) of the my laptop and monitor audio in good quality, at reasonable volumes?

Edit: I know it's only a preamp, that's why I asked if it would sound good at low volumes with a power amp + cab :)

Yes, the JMP-1 out is plugged straight into one of my RME Fireface400 line in.
If you have only a laptop for the moment and want to do serious recordings, you'll need a decent audio interface (= soundcard) that will handle everything sound related, and a pair of monitors that you'll plug on the soundcard.

I still haven't tried my JMP-1 with poweramp + cab, but for the low volume thing... I guess it depends of the poweramp.

Yes, the JMP-1 out is plugged straight into one of my RME Fireface400 line in.
If you have only a laptop for the moment and want to do serious recordings, you'll need a decent audio interface (= soundcard) that will handle everything sound related, and a pair of monitors that you'll plug on the soundcard.

I still haven't tried my JMP-1 with poweramp + cab, but for the low volume thing... I guess it depends of the poweramp.

Really helpful, thanks! :worship:
You say to plug the monitors into the soundcard? Do I need an amp for this or is it safe to just plug them straight in? Is it the same for HiFi speakers?

Sorry for all the questions :D

For everyone else: has anyone used the JMP-1 with a poweramp & cab? If so, could you say what the tone in relation to volume is like and whether it sounds good at low volumes?

Forget my last post about the monitors, I know the answer now.

Poweramp + Cab question still going though, anyone had any experience plugging ANY tube preamp with a power amp into a cab? Any suggestions?