Joey Belladonna interview

I recently spoke with Thrash metal pioneer Joey Belladonna about his time in Anthrax, The recent tragic shooting of Dimebag Darrell, His latest Cd ‘Artifacts I’, memories of touring Australia & much more. Joey Belladonna has been in the music industry for over 20 years & is considered an icon amongst Thrash metal fans worldwide. Joey has had a hand in Influencing many of the new metal artist we hear today & certainly changed my life when I first heard him singing with Anthrax many years ago. For me it’s been a real honour to ask Joey these questions about his life & career. I hope you all enjoy it!

INSIDE_OUT666: Hi Joey first of all I would just like to thank you once again for taking the time out to answer these questions for us here at INSIDE_OUT666. I’d like to start right back at the beginning, Can you tell us a bit about your first encounter with Anthrax? The audition etc?

JOEY: There wasn't really any audition. They just called me up and asked if I'd like to come up and check out the band. From there, we set up the mike and I blurted out a couple of pieces of my own and they asked me if I'd like to get started. It happened pretty fast.

INSIDE_OUT666: Anthrax has just released a new album "The Greater of Two Evils" which contains all old Anthrax material re-recorded with the current line-up. Have you heard any of the tracks yet? What did you think?

JOEY: No, I haven't heard any of it, so I can't express an opinion.

INSIDE_OUT666: A few years back you recorded a track "Balls of Confusion" for the Anthrax cd Return of the killer A’s which for those who don’t know had both John Bush & yourself sharing lead vocals. Can you tell us how this came about?

JOEY: They called and asked if I wanted to participate in the song and I said sure, why not, it would be fun. We did it in one day.

INSIDE_OUT666: What memories do you have from the Australian "Persistence in Time" tour? Any stories you would like to share with us?

JOEY: I can't really remember, but I think it was Sydney where the barricades broke and all the cops had to stand in line arm-in-arm to form a barricade themselves. That was quite cool. (When something like that happens, you never know what's in store from that time on.) I know some of the guys went bungee jumping in Brisbane and it was cool watching that. All-in-all, it was an awesome tour. I remember, too, how fantastic your opera house is. The record company guy asked me if I'd like to see it and he took me there, so it was just the two of us. Awesome! Also, the band, Cheap Trick, came to one of our shows and it was neat having them there. We went out one night and watched Cheap Trick perform with Angel City, which was exciting. Really cool.

INSIDE_OUT666: Do you have any plans in the pipeline to tour Australia again soon?

JOEY: As of right now, no. I'd do it in a minute, though, given the chance.

INSIDE_OUT666: I believe the new album "Artifacts I" was originally recorded in 1993 and has now been remastered. Why did you wait so long to release the album?

JOEY: Well, it was originally only going to be a demo, but after going on with a career you sometimes reach a point where you think "why not, it's great stuff". It was a great session and I loved doing it. Then, Pauly Crook and I got talking and decided to put it out. It was too damned good to waste. Also, it just wasn't the right time to put it out (1993).

INSIDE_OUT666: "Artifacts I" is the 1st of a two part set when can we expect the release of the second instalment?

JOEY: I don't know. People are asking me that already, but it's really hard to tell, seeing as how we just released this one. It'll be sooner than later, though.

INSIDE_OUT666: How would you compare the new album to your first solo release "Belladonna"? Can fans expect to hear the old school anthrax sound on the new album or have you gone in another direction?

JOEY: There are some songs that are the same, but the performances and players are just better by far. Everything is better by far. We all wrote the songs and it's easier that way for things to be a lot tighter. On the first record, "Belladonna", there were some songs written by the performers, but not all of them.

INSIDE_OUT666: I believe Paul Crook is among one of the talented musicians who has worked on the new album along side Paul Mocci [Bass] & Jeff Tortura [Drums] what was it about these guys that stood out from the crowd?

JOEY: Well, Pauly is a friend from the Anthrax days and is just a great player as well as a great friend. Mocci is a friend of Pauly's and that's how I met him. Jeff is a really talented drummer from my area in Upstate New York and we asked him to come in and cut the demo with us. They're all fantastic musicians.

INSIDE_OUT666: How long did the new album take to record?

JOEY: Well, there were 26 songs that were recorded in a span of four or five months, and we've taken eight of these for the first of the two-album set.

INSIDE_OUT666: When you prepare to do a new album, what comes first the lyrics or the music?

JOEY: Definitely the music.

INSIDE_OUT666: After all these years of writing and recording how do you constantly come up with new fresh sounding material without falling into the trap a lot of other bands do by repeating themselves?

JOEY: I just have an array of new ideas that are always flowing in my head. I have so many influences that the songs just keep coming along. Of course, when you play with different people you come up with different inspirations and styles.

INSIDE_OUT666: Do you find you have a different approach writing/recording a song now as opposed to your days with Anthrax??

JOEY: Yeah, because a lot of the time I'm walking into a situation that's all set up to go. With Anthrax, I wasn't there for the beginning of each project.......the song would already be underway. Now, I do stuff from the beginning and see it through to where I want it to be.

INSIDE_OUT666: On December 16th you performed the national anthem in front of record crowds at the Minnesota Vikings/Seattle Seahawks football game in Minnesota. This must have been a real honour for you? It’s not every day a metal singer is asked to perform a national anthem. How did this all come about? Were you approached to perform?

JOEY: Being a big Vikings fan and playing a gig that weekend in Minneapolis, I went ahead and notified the organization that I was going to be in town. They returned my call and said they'd love to have me do it.

INSIDE_OUT666: This isn’t the first time you have sung the national anthem in front of large crowds is it?

JOEY: Nope. I sang it in Madison Square Garden for a big monster truck event.

INSIDE_OUT666: The recent tragic death of Dimebag Darrell Abbot has shocked the rock/metal community. Did you know Dimebag well & could you share some stories with us of the time you spent together?

JOEY: Unfortunately, I only met Darrell and his brother, Vinnie, a few times, but was never able to spend any quality time with them. Darrell was an awesome musician. One of a kind. Thank heaven Vinnie and the rest of the guys are still with us.

INSIDE_OUT666: Only days after the tragic death of Dimebag Darrell I believe a crazed fan also tried to attack former Iron maiden front-man Paul Di’Anno while onstage in Israel. Following recent events, how do you feel about performing onstage now?

JOEY: Well, the only thing you can do is hope that stuff doesn't happen. I'm not worried about performing.

INSIDE_OUT666: For someone like yourself who is often considered iconic with regard to Thrash/Speed metal, what do you think most people would be surprised to learn about Joey Belladonna?

JOEY: H-mmmmmmmmmmmm. Well, let me see. I was on the New York State All-Star hockey team when I was in high school. I started as a goalie when a freshman and played there all four years. (I was also always on time for class!!!) I have a Rottweiler named Kody, who is two years old. I never had any formal musical training, just sang for a semester in the school choir in ninth grade. I live with my wife out in the country. I don't want to bore you too much, so will leave it at that.

INSIDE_OUT666: Anthrax has always been one of my main musical influences along with Kiss, Maiden, Ac/dc etc. Do you feel you have played a large role in influencing a lot of the newer metal bands?

JOEY: I really wouldn't know how to answer that. It's hard to say. Perhaps we had some influence on someone.

INSIDE_OUT666: In you honest opinion what do you think about the direction Heavy Metal music has taken over the last few years?

JOEY: It's come back around, in my opinion. I think we might be hearing more of it. Everyone's going to keep busy in the metal scene.

INSIDE_OUT666: Are there still things you’re learning about the music business after all these years?

JOEY: Absolutely, there are always things you can learn to do better or differently.

INSIDE_OUT666: Over the years you have covered some of the finer metal songs. Black Sabbaths "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" & Kiss’ "Parasite" among others. What is the one song you have always wanted to cover but have never got around to doing?

JOEY: I'm saving that one for a surprise. I have a couple in mind.

INSIDE_OUT666: What are you favourite songs to perform live?

JOEY: "Armed and Dangerous", "Medusa", and "N.F.L." are some of my favourites to do live.

INSIDE_OUT666: Over the years you have shared the stage with so many great bands, Kiss, Sabbath, Overkill, Slayer, and Iron Maiden among many others. Who did you enjoy touring with the most & could you share a funny road story with us from the tour?

JOEY: It was great touring with each of them. Each one was a totally different experience and I can't really pick out just one. Nicko McBrain, with Iron Maiden, was always a laugh. Really cracked me up.

INSIDE_OUT666: Back in 1986 your tour with Metallica was cut short due to the untimely death of bassist Cliff Burton. Off stage did you get to spend much time with Cliff & what was he like?

JOEY: Yeah, at the catering every night where we had dinner I got to know him. He was a really sweet, nice guy and I got to know him pretty well. His death was hard to take.

INSIDE_OUT666: David Lee Roth has now given up music to pursue a career as a paramedic! What would you be doing if you stopped playing metal music?

JOEY: Probably hanging out with my wife and doing some fun things.

INSIDE_OUT666: Would you ever consider forming a new version of Anthrax & recording an album with Danny Spitz, Frankie Bello, Paul Crook & the aid of another drummer?

JOEY: Anything like that is always a thought. Scenarios like that always run through my mind. You never know..........time will only tell.

INSIDE_OUT666: There has been so many highlights in your career, what would you say have been your greatest achievements to date?

JOEY: Well, hooking up with Anthrax as well as touring with some of the biggest bands in the world were both great. Also, still being a part of the music world after all these years (and enjoying it) blows my mind.

INSIDE_OUT666: If you could put together a band consisting of musicians passed or present who would they be? And what would you call the band

JOEY: Well, there are really too many to choose from, but I'll give you one example: The band Rush and me together. We could call it Rush II (ha ha). Putting my own band together would be Getty Lee on bass; John Bonham, drums; Eddie Van Halen, guitar; and me on vocals. I'd call it "The Band That Kicks Butt".

INSIDE_OUT666: Well Joey that’s it thanks again for your time it has been an honour. Is there anything you would like to add for all of our readers?

JOEY: Yes. I'd like you to know what an honour it's been to do this interview and to thank each and every one of you for your support through the years. I wish I could be in Australia meeting each of you.
Joey.
© http://groups.yahoo.com.group/INSIDE_OUT666 Jan 2005
Used with permission from Cameron Jan 2005©

Jan 7th Lewis Bowl & Sports Bar, Sioux City, IA
Jan 8th Nitecap, Chicago, IL
Jan 9th Cronies Charhouse & Ginmill, Kouts, IN
Jan 10th House of Blues, Cleveland, OH
Jan 15th Webster Theater, Hartford, CT
Jan 21st The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY

‘Artifacts I’ is out now.
You can purchase Joeys latest cd wherever great cd’s are sold or through Joey’s official website
www.joeybelladonna.com

well the stuff he puts out now could be cool coz there´s only two albums I like his singing on: STD and his first Belladonna record. So if it´s something like his first release, I´m down with that. Otherwise, he can put up the new version of everything he wants but there is no other Anthrax without Scott, Charlie and John Bush.