Joey Sturgis For Hire

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
so, as many of you know, on other forums when people ask about tips regarding Joey's recording style some one comes up with the wiseass remark of:
"if you want Joey's production, go to Joey"
it hasn't happened to me, but when I see it, I get annoyed.

realistically,
if you're an unsigned project, what are your chances of getting booked at Foundation within the next year?

secondly & more realistically, what are the chances of getting your recording Mixed or Mastered by Joey within the next year?

I actually emailed management for Joey for a full-length with preproduction done & completely prepared to pay full deposit and the full price for the production. I was completely ignored. haha.
no Disrespect to his manager, I imagine tons of stuff gets ignored.

Joey posted yesterday on Twitter that he won't be online for a week, hopefully he will answer this question when he gets back. This is slightly off topic, but on similar subject: Even tho I am not Joey and I mainly do just live FOH mixing, I am many times in a situation where I can actually choose who I work with, even if the other party has the money. Might not be nothing personal against the people or the band, but for example if I get 2 job offers from two different bands I've never worked with, I have to choose if I will mix a band for 20 gigs that will play for bigger crowds or do I mix an unknown band for 24 gigs in the same period and same salary. Realistically: I usually always agree to work with the band that I agreed earlier. I don't do double booking and then bail out on the other gig, but in this case I would choose the "bigger" band, even if they pay is slightly worse as it is highly unrewarding to mix to "nobody" in empty spaces. Of course there is always exception to the rule; if I know that the bigger band is full of assholes, I choose the smaller band.

To "Chances at recording with Joey within the next year": check from his calendar, (it's no secret, since it IS linked in his myspace page). When I just checked, he has been fully booked up until October, and possibly even longer. He has 8 days off in between there + 2 months "off". unless the band is called "off" :loco:

true true,
like I said. it was no disrespect to his management. I assumed that this actually happens.
I'm just basically curious to see the odds/if he ever records an unsigned/unrepresented project anymore where he doesn't previously know the members.

and off-topic.
speaking of his myspace page, it'd be nice to see it reformatted or given a spot on joeysturgis.com
myspace has become quite hard on the eyes since everyone abandoned it. haha