Joey's vocals on Persistence of Time

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
Do all you Joey haters think Joey sounds too high pitched and not 'strong' enough on this album?

On POT he had a deeper vocal sound bit still had the 'high' range. Best of both.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/51vMbmIhyKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/51vMbmIhyKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

They used to open with this song back on the POT tour. With the big clock. When the drums kicked in the places would go apeshit.

Then after this album cycle was done and they were at the height of their popularity they changed singers and went more alternative / grungy. Hopefully they pick back up where POT left off

I remember thinking way back when on the day it came out that I didnt like his new vocal approach but after my second listen I loved it. Fav album

Yeah my fav Joey album is STD too, but POT did have great production and sounds great. When Anthrax was on Headbangers Ball when SOWN came out Charlie said they wanted a singer that had more "Ummph" to him. I have this recorded on VHS, Scott said John's voice was what he always pictured when he wrote lyrics and with Joey something was always lost in the translation. Unlike most of the rumors and speculation about reasons here, this comes from their own mouths, I just watched it. I would post it but oddly enough my VCR doesn't have a USB port:tickled:

The boys have always been business-conscious. They ditched Joey to fit the grunge scene. Bush even sounds similar to Vedder. Now that they're in the last stage of their career and thrash is revitalized, they'll ride into the sunset with Joey. All's well that ends well.
Very true. If they didn't change their sound when they did they probably would have been gone a long time ago. Luckily we're in 2010 and we've got a new album on the way, woo! I know it'll be great. Grunge wrecked so many things, I hope that talentless drug addict Cobain is burning in hell. Hopefully it's not their sunset though, I want many more albums. Realistically though...mmm we'll see.

I never had a problem with Joey's vocals on POT but i really like the way Bush sings Belly Of The Beast on the MOMD dvd not so much the GOTE version, he does a good job on Keep It.. on GOTE.

I love POT, but I still think it lacks in comparison with ATL and STD as far as catchy hooks go. But it's a very mature album for shure, shame it didn't had the crunchy production SOE had because overall it's a (far) better album IMO.

The boys have always been business-conscious. They ditched Joey to fit the grunge scene. Bush even sounds similar to Vedder. Now that they're in the last stage of their career and thrash is revitalized, they'll ride into the sunset with Joey. All's well that ends well.

I think there's truth in this....

business-conscious? Sure Charlie and Scott are but they are not business smart.

Would there still be an Anthrax had Bush not joined? Sure, joey has such a range to his voice that they could have done almost anything style wise. IMO, even if they had slowed down the tempos but kept that signature "thrax crunch" that made them stars then they could have continued on, and considering people do not like change and changing a vocalist is a huge shift they might have done better financially or atleast on par with Megadeth

business-conscious? Sure Charlie and Scott are but they are not business smart.

Would there still be an Anthrax had Bush not joined? Sure, joey has such a range to his voice that they could have done almost anything style wise. IMO, even if they had slowed down the tempos but kept that signature "thrax crunch" that made them stars then they could have continued on, and considering people do not like change and changing a vocalist is a huge shift they might have done better financially or atleast on par with Megadeth

People didn't mind that much on SOWN just because Anthrax was at their prime just prior to that release. "Only" was the single and it got them decent radio play as it was more 'alternative'. But after that album cycle Anthrax was no longer the force they were pre- John Bush. There were bands like Pantera, Slayer, etc that kept doing heavy, fast shit and were able to continue doing what they started. Slayer for example never changed vocalists to try and sound more grunge. And today they are as big as they ever have been. Same with bands like Iron Maiden who still can sell out HUGE arenas without changing their core sound.

Hopefully Anthrax gets back to what go them to where they were PRE John Bush. And this is not a slam on John Bush, it is on the style Anthrax went to after POT. They had a signature sound. A Crunchy Thrash sound. That went away. And so did most of the original Anthrax fans

Good time for us old school Anthrax fans right now.

They used to open with this song back on the POT tour.

i hope they start playing this song again. i love that opening riff with the palm-muting... just chugging away on the 6th string. i have a recording of them on the 'clash of the titans' tour where it just has scott and charlie playing the first minute or so of this song. scott thrashes all over the stage doing his signature stomp and they just play that opening riff over and over.

but yeah dude, joey performed well on that album.

People didn't mind that much on SOWN just because Anthrax was at their prime just prior to that release. "Only" was the single and it got them decent radio play as it was more 'alternative'. But after that album cycle Anthrax was no longer the force they were pre- John Bush. There were bands like Pantera, Slayer, etc that kept doing heavy, fast shit and were able to continue doing what they started. Slayer for example never changed vocalists to try and sound more grunge. And today they are as big as they ever have been. Same with bands like Iron Maiden who still can sell out HUGE arenas without changing their core sound.

Hopefully Anthrax gets back to what go them to where they were PRE John Bush. And this is not a slam on John Bush, it is on the style Anthrax went to after POT. They had a signature sound. A Crunchy Thrash sound. That went away. And so did most of the original Anthrax fans

Good time for us old school Anthrax fans right now.

Agreed with that. I know that with SOWN and after i stopped buying the new albums on release day.

that sound is what made them and doing away with that sound is almost what killed them

something happened during the SOWN touring cycle.

In Michigan it started off strong.. midsized outdoor shed with White Zombi and Quicksand..Thrax headlined and put on a decent show... they had an album people really liked and they were coming off of a legendary tour with Public Enemy , and Clash of the Titans, they signed a big contract with electra and changed there identifiable singer...risky move that seemed to pay off at first...

but, by the end of that cycle they were playing Harpo's in Detroit ( huge club, horrible reputation, ) and it wasnt sold out.

Saw them on the Stomp tour headline at harpo's..less people and the band had just gotten Paul Crook..while I liked the album, they werent the live Anhtrax i was used too...lack of fun, energy, and charisma..

by the time Vol. 8 came out Thrax was reduced to a half full St. Andrews Hall ( small , legendary venue)... they never seemed to recover in the states after that run...

I give Props to Slayer for always sticking it out and never changing for better or for worse..there die hard fans have stayed with them because of it and there integrity is intact...

In Michigan it started off strong.. midsized outdoor shed with White Zombi and Quicksand..Thrax headlined and put on a decent show... they had an album people really liked and they were coming off of a legendary tour with Public Enemy , and Clash of the Titans, they signed a big contract with electra and changed there identifiable singer...risky move that seemed to pay off at first...

but, by the end of that cycle they were playing Harpo's in Detroit ( huge club, horrible reputation, ) and it wasnt sold out.

Saw them on the Stomp tour headline at harpo's..less people and the band had just gotten Paul Crook..while I liked the album, they werent the live Anhtrax i was used too...lack of fun, energy, and charisma..

by the time Vol. 8 came out Thrax was reduced to a half full St. Andrews Hall ( small , legendary venue)... they never seemed to recover in the states after that run...

I give Props to Slayer for always sticking it out and never changing for better or for worse..there die hard fans have stayed with them because of it and there integrity is intact...

Agree. Same thing out in California. They opened for Iron Maiden and it was almost like an Anthrax headlining show. That was in huge arenas. Then they did the clash of the titans tour... which obviously was a huge success. Then the public enemy / Anthrax / Primus show which they headlined large outdoor venues. They were in their prime, and height of their popularity.

Then they went in hibernation to record the new album. Back then the internet wasn't anything. So most people didn't even know about John Bush taking over for Joey. But when the album came closer they announced that John Bush was taking over. I don't think initially many people care toooo much. But then "Only" was released as the single and I know I was completely disgusted with the song. I was hoping that the rest of the album would be like the POT album. Was wrong. But still Anthrax had the hype and was able to go out and do another large headlining tour with White Zombie.

A year later they were playing in clubs in town and they weren't sold out. You would have thought that would have sent them a message. But I guess they didn't seem to care.

I think it all comes down to those guys being scared to continue to be 'metal' when 'metal' was all but dead. They wanted to try and compete with Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana and all of that. That failed. Then the nu metal shit came out like Korn and what not. And they detuned and tried more of that sound. Although they gained a lot of newer / younger fans. They were never able to get back to the success they had pre-bush.

The other bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Pantera, (even Megadeth to a degree) kept doing what they were doing and now all of those bands are just as popular as they were back then.

Think of the Clash of the Titans tour. Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Alice In Chains.

All of those bands are still huge, except for Anthrax.

I really think if they didn't get scared, and stuck to their guns they could be sitting there with those other bands and doing the same sized shows.

Very poor business decisions over the years. You don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Looking forward to the next year with Anthrax

I was listening Persistance the other day, and I must say this is their best album with Joey. Solid from top to bottom, great "hits" like Belly Of The Beast and Got The Time.

This album also contains in my opinion Joey's best vocals yet. Not too high for my taste.

I was listening Persistance the other day, and I must say this is their best album with Joey. Solid from top to bottom, great "hits" like Belly Of The Beast and Got The Time.

This album also contains in my opinion Joey's best vocals yet. Not too high for my taste.

Thats one of two albums I listen to it in its entirety, that and SOE

True but understand Slayer's popularity waned at that time as well, when I saw Slayer live on I think it was the Diabolus tour in Jacksonville it was in a club with only maybe 2 or 3 hundred in attendance. It was more of a bar than a club. The sound of Diabolus also switched to more of a nu metal sound, although I LOVE that album, one of my favs actually. Slayer just kept putting out great material and their popularity returned as metal's popularity returned. Anthrax has never IMO put out material that wasn't great, they just haven't put out new material at all in SO long. They need to hurry this album up , I have no idea how they can even find time to work on it all, I wonder if they are.

I was just impressed that they were able to make a killer album as thrash was dying out and without Joey's high screams. He really is a good vocalist and should deliver quite well on this new record.

Hi,
people keep saying that bands like Alice In Chains, Iron Maiden and Slayer were huge during the 90's...I think that's NOT completely true...AIC did NOT exist the most part of the 90's...and Maiden and Slayer downgraded their concert places quite radically... in Finland they both played at Kulttuuritalo (House of Culture) which isn't really a huge concert hall....

When it comes to Joey's vocals on POT...I think that that album has same problem as Exodus' Impact Is Imminent...there are too many words to sing. Scott or Charlie has said that on POT they wanted to sort of mix rap lyrics to very heavy metal riffs...that puts a melodic singer like Joey to very difficult situation. He did a good job on that album though.

...Live the Island Years proves that live situation was quite different...:)

T:)