OT Black Album Live!

True to a degree. What's to say it was overplayed when written? Not actually sayin' it's the case but just sayin'. I bet if it was written without the DB in the verses, no-one would say it was missing. It would be just like all the other faster stuff they did. Dyers Eve would be hard to pull off perfectly everytime in a live setting. I do love the original and the live versions of it. 2 year tours, 2 hour shows, you have to pace yourself.

You seriously have your head so far up Lars' ass its not even funny. You are honestly going to say he has to pace himself because he plays a 2 hour show a few times a week? Give me a fuckng break.

Dave Lombardo could do double bass for 8 hours a day 7 days a week and not miss a beat.

Lars is a shitty drummer who just can't handle playing songs that require anything other than a simple bass, snare, bass, snare pattern.

What about all of the death metal bands and other speed/thrash bands who play the same amount of shows (or more) than Metallica? Those guys have no problem playing double bass in every song for their entire sets.

GO ask Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel if he could play Dyers eve... he'd laugh and say that song was too slow for him

Stompmosher's new tattoo:

104331.jpg

This is as heavy as anything they have ever done. Not thrash just straight out heavy. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about these all time - yet relatively underated - favourites:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCFWlso-UQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCFWlso-UQ[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-s7oHJBP8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-s7oHJBP8[/ame]

:headbang: :headbang:

I mean no offense, but I wonder why Lars drumming didn't stand up the test of time as most of the other thrash metal drummers? I mean no offense to all of you who are his fans; it just strikes me as odd that everybody else runs circles around him, even at a similar age. Probably he doesn't practice much? I am not a drummer, so I am not sure what could this all be about. For comparison's sake, Charlie is much better (and don't give me that feel vs technique argument-it seems every time a better technical drummer is compared to a less technical one, the one with the lesser technique will have "more soul"-but that is subjective, and I would say could be just trying to cover up for his/her deficiencies-again, no offense at all intended.) Mr. Benante is not even the "best" one, although I like his drumming. Perhaps Mr. Ulrich doesn't care for the music, or age really caught up to him? You that follow him should know better than I, for I don't know since when his live drumming declined.

As a side note, I honestly don't think that Thrash bands must have the most technically gifted musicians-it is not what the music is about, although there must be a specific mastery over certain techniques, as well as a thrashy feel. Many bands I love just have good musicians, not great virtuosos. But of course there should be a certain amount of respect for the music (IMHO), so as to always do their best onstage, whether they engage in "virtuoso" playing, or just decent, good over-all musicianship-imperfections are cool, IMHO, especially on a live setting, but sloppiness for its own sake (when the musicians don't care about the music they play) is rather sad.

Again, please don't take it personally. I was just reminded of this because of Dyer's Eve, which is not even the fastest double bass thrash metal song out there (although it's pretty awesome-I am not bashing it at all.) If I was trying to make attack, I would be hurling insults, such as "he blows!, etc. which I never intended to do. As they say, he is who he is, and if you like him, that's fine by me.

I mean no offense, but I wonder why Lars drumming didn't stand up the test of time as most of the other thrash metal drummers? I mean no offense to all of you who are his fans; it just strikes me as odd that everybody else runs circles around him, even at a similar age. Probably he doesn't practice much? I am not a drummer, so I am not sure what could this all be about. For comparison's sake, Charlie is much better (and don't give me that feel vs technique argument-it seems every time a better technical drummer is compared to a less technical one, the one with the lesser technique will have "more soul"-but that is subjective, and I would say could be just trying to cover up for his/her deficiencies-again, no offense at all intended.) Mr. Benante is not even the "best" one, although I like his drumming. Perhaps Mr. Ulrich doesn't care for the music, or age really caught up to him? You that follow him should know better than I, for I don't know since when his live drumming declined.

As a side note, I honestly don't think that Thrash bands must have the most technically gifted musicians-it is not what the music is about, although there must be a specific mastery over certain techniques, as well as a thrashy feel. Many bands I love just have good musicians, not great virtuosos. But of course there should be a certain amount of respect for the music (IMHO), so as to always do their best onstage, whether they engage in "virtuoso" playing, or just decent, good over-all musicianship-imperfections are cool, IMHO, especially on a live setting, but sloppiness for its own sake (when the musicians don't care about the music they play) is rather sad.

Again, please don't take it personally. I was just reminded of this because of Dyer's Eve, which is not even the fastest double bass thrash metal song out there (although it's pretty awesome-I am not bashing it at all.) If I was trying to make attack, I would be hurling insults, such as "he blows!, etc. which I never intended to do. As they say, he is who he is, and if you like him, that's fine by me.

No offence taken :headbang:

I actually agree with this and have wondered why myself. The thing that confuses me is at times he still pulls out something amazing, not often but sometimes. I know he doesn't practice, just enough for gigs and albums. I also know he has played with some degree of limitation from shoulder cuff injurys. He does keep himself fit, probably fitter that most in the industry. I know his feet are terrible by thrash standards, but they have never ever been the best, even from early on, it's just much more pronounced now. Sometimes I also think he reacts to the 'perception' of what a 'metal' drummer should be and goes 180* in the opposite direction. This somes up Metallica in general. They don't like being told what they should do. I think he has some ability left, but there is something holding him back, there must be. That's why I made comments about pacing over a 2/3 tour 2.5 hour shows. He leaves a lot of DB out of the fast stuff now. Of course I'd like to here it, no doubt, but I also understand if there is an issue. Not making excuses for him, just outlining possibilities. I would rather here Dyers Eve without the DB than no Dyers Eve at all, and they still sound great when playing all together. The sum of the parts is greater that any alone. BTW I love Charlie, my fave drummer because he has technical ability and feel, gives you the impression he could play anything from any style.

You sound like a very nice, passive person. Let me translate what you just said in my own interpretation.

Lars is a fucking douche bag that can not play drums for shit. He is a tiny little bitch boy that plays the drums like a pussy. All of the big 4 drummers absolutely destroy him. If he can't play the songs how they are supposed to be played he should not be playing them. It is bad enough this band turned to complete shit with the Black album but now they can't even play their classic (good songs) they way they are supposed to be played because of a lazy midget drummer with very little talent.

Go listen to Anthrax, Testament, Slayer, Kreator, Overkill, Exodus, etc ... they are the same age, play even more shows in a row than Metallica and still play their instruments note for note.

Face it. Metallica is a shit band now and it's really baffling that people will spend 100's of dollars to watch this abomination perform on stage---ahhhh

I would rather watch a good Metallica cover band any day than the 'real' Metallica!

Dyers Eve and Blackened. Great performaces regardless of how much DB of lack of.

Nu Metal like any genre of music has is good and then a million copy cat bads.

Love em or hate em Korn were a new style of heavy music that nobody had ever heard before. Their first album is ground breaking and it spawned thousands of other bands trying to sound like them. I still really like the first Korn CD as well as their second one. But really don't like anything since.

There are other bands like Deftones which are not really 'nu metal' but still were born during that time that are an amazing band.

Bands like System of a Down, Slipknot, Static X, etc are not my thing but were and are good for what they were.

Then you had a ton of crappy bands that came out like Limp Bizkit, linkin park, disturbed, methods of mayem, papa roach, etc etc that sucked donkey balls and saturated the entire movement and make it a really lame scene.

You can say the same with just about every other sub-genre of metal music. There are always the good ones, the innovators, and then those who copy and ultimately bring that genre to an end.

Yeh, I enjoyed that first Korn cd, for about 15 minutes and then I tossed in the garbage.

Probably the only nu metal I enjoy: (this band is fucking heavy)