Joey's vocals on Persistence of Time

Scott or Charlie has said that on POT they wanted to sort of mix rap lyrics to very heavy metal riffs...that puts a melodic singer like Joey to very difficult situation.

You can clearly hear this on "Blood". He just doesn't sound right.

I loved the POT album when it came out and I still do like it. But when I listen to it now, the singing lacks a good portion of agressiveness.
It's like the band was halfway where they wanted to go, but Joey just couldn't make that jump. It varies from song to song, but that's the overall impression I'm getting now.

However, I really like how Joey sings the POT songs on Alive 2!!

metal fans use the term grunge like its pop rock or nu metal. Many grunge bands like AIC and Soundgarden were deeply influenced by metal and hard rock. Thrax definitely changed there sound w. SOWN but grunge? I don't think that was the tablet Charlie and the gang were drawing from.

The singles were Only, Room for one more, hy pro and Black Lodge. Hy pro aside those are three of the best written songs in the entire thrax catalog regardless of who is singing.

thrax's popularity peaked and fell quick during this period. Well Slayer and Pantera strived by sticking with a uniformly heavy sound most of the other thrash bands were on the decline during this period.

...I think grunge is kinda easy target... Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and especially Nirvana offered people an alternative and FRESH way to enjoy rock music again...metal had become some sort of a dinosaur - like prog rock during early 80's...hairdos were huge etc... metal bands were forced to downgrade their shows...and only the strongest survived.

Anthrax - with a little help from friends from Pantera camp - was strong enough! They did good tours! They kept playing. None of them overdosed, died etc... They did also some S.O.D. stuff...perhaps it was part of the survival. Anyway to me ANTHRAX was always an interesting metal band. They weren't funny in a goofy way anymore... and I'm glad they weren't. Music mattered and it was excellent!

Also Joey did music during 90's...like he says on ALIVE 2 DVD - he was on training camp - always ready to return. I still think that reunion was a mistake, but I agree that songs from POT were the best ones on ALIVE 2.

T:)

The only mistake was letting Joey go in the first place. Bush has always been a stand-in, a guest vocalist, the other guy.

You're right, that's why Scott kept saying this lion stuff and why they tried to get Bush back after the reunion and after Dan left.

They tried to get Bush back because Joey left. Bush was always number 2.

lol, thats just not true, but continue to deny reality if it makes you feel better. They asked John, John didn't want to tour so they got Joey back. Fact.

"Persistence" definitely contains Joey's best vocal performance in Anthrax, Bush's best vocal performance in Anthrax is on SOWN, really impressive

Great performance by Joey, especially given the ridiculus amount of words in the songs. Check out the Maiden support footage on Youtube, Time and Keep It......... Live in Auburn Hills.

'Thrax does not get much better for me!

Great performance by Joey, especially given the ridiculus amount of words in the songs. Check out the Maiden support footage on Youtube, Time and Keep It......... Live in Auburn Hills.

'Thrax does not get much better for me!

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjkTo2P7go8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjkTo2P7go8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I remember this like it was yesterday. When they had that huge clock and went into "Time" it was amazing. The place went apeshit. These were the best days of Anthrax.

I suppose Maidenboys treated them still like they treated Henry...:)

T:)

Last edited by a moderator:
[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjkTo2P7go8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjkTo2P7go8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I remember this like it was yesterday. When they had that huge clock and went into "Time" it was amazing. The place went apeshit. These were the best days of Anthrax.

I saw this show in Edinburgh, it was fantastic. Impossible to choose between this, the SOWN Glasgow show or the first WCFYA Glasgow show (not the Motorhead support gig). Not that theo thers were poor.............. :kickass: