In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
John 5 - Songs for Sanity
Mascot Records - M7170-2 - 9/12/05
by Amanda J. Carlson
John5cover.jpg

I’ve not been much of a fan of instrumental guitar stuff, but John 5 has made me rethink that opinion. His songs are both engaging and unique; one doesn’t need a singer to stay attracted to this music. The guitar does that so well on it’s own, with plenty of shredding mixed in to stay away from repetition.

Songs of Sanity is an oddly eclectic album, going from a super heavy track like “Soul of a Robot,” to “Gein with Envy,” a rockin’ country like song you might hear at a hoe-down. He’s got dark songs, and he’s got slow songs, one with some slide guitar. He does blues, industrial, straight-ahead metal, and by golly more hoe-down. This album could appeal to everyone, no matter what their tastes. For a guy who’s done a lot of work with Marilyn Manson and recently Rob Zombie, he sure knows how to branch out on his own.

The cheesy voice-over samples aside, I can’t really come up with any striking negative moments. His attempt at bringing the album full circle with a slow and dragging rendition of the first song (appropriately titled “Denouement”) doesn’t feel like a strong finish, but that doesn’t matter. I dig John 5 and I hope he doesn’t let his hardcore collaborations get in the way of continuing with solo works like this.

8.5/10

Official John 5 Website
Official Mascot Records Website