John Arch EP - feat. Mike Portnoy...

Seventh Son

Zero Salvation
Apr 16, 2001
Sydney, Australia
homepage.mac.com
For those that don't know already, legendary ex-Fates Warning singer John Arch is about to release a prog metal EP. The line up is:

John Arch
Jim Matheos (FW, OSI)
Joey Vera (FW, Armored Saint)
Mike Portnoy (DT, OSI, LTE, Transatlantic.....)

Metal Blade have put up a 5min sample of the EP (which runs a little over 20mins).

Well worth a listen...

Because Mike has played in every band ever, I present:
6 degrees of Mike Portnoy

Zakk Wylde

MP played with Steve Morse
Steve Morse played with Deep Purple
Ian Gillan played with Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath had Ozzy
Zakk plays for Ozzy!

John Arch is a great singer (well, was - the last thing I heard him on was those Dream Theater audition tapes when they were looking for a replacement for Chuck D). Might even buy this if I see it.

Spawny.

Spawny saw Slayer
Slayer toured with Iron Maiden
Dream Theater covered NOTB
Mike Portnoy is in Dream Theater!

Planet X are cool Blitzy. They are instrumental band. Progresive stuff. If you have heard Liquid Tension Experiment... they arnt that much like that. Well, they are because they are instrumental and have an ex Dream Theater member playing keyboards.. But the songs are.... Oh for fucks sake. I cant exmplain this shit.

GO here: www.xplanetx.com and click on some sound clips. Derek has a new album out called Black Utopia which has gotten some kick ass reviews. Has alot of guests on it. www.dereksherenian.com You too can hear samples of this disk. The cover is cool

You like Liquid Tension Experiment Spiff? They are like Planet X, but with ALOT more melody in their songs. The 16 mintute epic 'When the Water Breaks' is my all time fave instrumental song. Has a shitload of emotion

I LOVE LTE! Can't stand Planet X though, even though I have three of their albums. Might give them another go, but not any time soon. :)

One thing I don't like about Planet X is that when Derek was with DT he was quite vocal about how he didn't care for prog, but then when he got the boot what does he go and do? Form a prog band.