SO basically...

Jul 14, 2002
Stratford, CT
Visit site
It is Fates Warning. Hell yeah!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152526

Former And Current FATES WARNNING Members JOHN ARCH And JIM MATHEOS Join Forces In New Project - Jan. 19, 2011 FATES WARNING/OSI guitarist Jim Matheos and former FATES WARNING singer John Arch are currently working together on a new full-length album that will be released in late spring/early summer via Metal Blade Records. The band, called ARCH/MATHEOS, began tracking the drums on January 12 and will continue to record through mid-February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album. ARCH/MATHEOS features an all-star lineup including the talents of Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) on bass, Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) on drums, and Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) on additional lead guitar.

Arch's solo EP, "A Twist Of Fate", was released in 2003 through Metal Blade Records. The CD was recorded at the Carriage House studios in Stamford, Connecticut and featured guest appearances by Matheos, ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy and Vera.

In other news...

whiskeyinacan.jpg

You're right, neal.

PSoG is decent...you have to really like prog to like this band.

They have some good songs but it's the same prog stuff everyone else has done since. Granted, FW were pioneers but by this point it's moot to even look for something new.

The prog world now sounds like the same band touring around under different monikers.

The prog world now sounds like the same band touring around under different monikers.

AGREED!

Which is why I've all but stopped listening to metal for 'new' sounds. The innovators just aren't shredding anymore; it's like ever since Necrophagist came out, is there any point in precision shred? Just one example, but you get my idea.

'Fast and complex' guitar has all but been conquered at this point. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum where the innovation lies these days; doom, stoner, and noise seem to be where the boundaries are being every so slightly nudged, and though it's not as exciting to listen to--sometimes rather difficult in fact--to me, it's often the most rewarding. At least in the world of teh heavies. Prog is a fucking joke.

Don't Shred! RIP!

(sorry for the slightly OT rant)

AGREED!

Which is why I've all but stopped listening to metal for 'new' sounds. The innovators just aren't shredding anymore; it's like ever since Necrophagist came out, is there any point in precision shred? Just one example, but you get my idea.

'Fast and complex' guitar has all but been conquered at this point. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum where the innovation lies these days; doom, stoner, and noise seem to be where the boundaries are being every so slightly nudged, and though it's not as exciting to listen to--sometimes rather difficult in fact--to me, it's often the most rewarding. At least in the world of teh heavies. Prog is a fucking joke.

Don't Shred! RIP!

(sorry for the slightly OT rant)

I kinda agree, but it's the same in every genre, there are 3-4 bands better than everyone else.

YOB, Baroness, Torche for me, I can take or leave all the Coughs, Rwakes, Thous and hundreds of Electric Wizard clones of the world. I think we've reached that point of exhaustionwith doom/stoner as well, where all you need is vintage gear and beards and be from the south to get hyped as the next big thing. Not saying that any of those bands are bad in any way, they do what they do well, but there are always just a small handful of bands to me that are a cut above the rest, the same goes for prog, power, tech death, etc.

and btw, Fates Warning are one of the greatest metal bands ever to me. Awaken the Guardian is still amazing to me, and Pleasant Shade is probably the highlight on the other side of the spectrum, though I really love everything in between as well.

Glad that Arch will be singing again, you might find his voice very sissy and weak, but melodically, the stuff he was doing was so ahead of his time, and it's still mindboggling the way he thinks and approaches melodies within metal. Dude is definitely one of the most unique and intricate singers ever.

Well for me, Fates are THE prog-metal band. The show up in all of my favorites categories.
As for them sounding
Like all the other prog bands I disagree. The was a period when all prog bands were trying the Fates/Queensryche sound but now they are all trying to be DY clones. Fates sound like themselves and are still better songwriters than any of the others. In my opinion.0