John Bush sings "Four Horsemen" with Metallica

Deege

Aug 15, 2002
Ohio
www.sdmfworldwide.com
Tonight (December 7th), Metallica brought up John Bush to sing The Four Horsemen with them during one of their 30th Anniversary shows at the Fillmore. Apparently this is significant because they had originally asked him to join the band between Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning, when James still wasn't completely comfortable singing and wanted to focus more on guitar - but of course he turned them down to stick with Saint, who were his childhood friends.

Tonight (December 7th), Metallica brought up John Bush to sing The Four Horsemen with them during one of their 30th Anniversary shows at the Fillmore. Apparently this is significant because they had originally asked him to join the band between Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning, when James still wasn't completely comfortable singing and wanted to focus more on guitar - but of course he turned them down to stick with Saint, who were his childhood friends.

Good thing he turned them down. He went on to have an amazing career in Armored Saint and Anthrax :erk: Poor guy.... literally

Now he is doing Burger King commercials while Metallica are the richest metal band in the world

A wonderful chap, as far as I can tell.
I love what he did on SOWN and WCFYA.

Good to hear that he's still singing, and I think the nod from Metallica is well deserved.

They should have done a side project with Bush instead of Lou Reed, I think.
It would probably generate less buzz than Lulu, but a lot of the "troo fans" would probably be interested in hearing what 'tallica would sound like if Bush had taken the job as singer back in the day. In fact, I'm confident that such a project would sell significantly better than Loutallicreed.

They should have done a side project with Bush instead of Lou Reed, I think.
It would probably generate less buzz than Lulu, but a lot of the "troo fans" would probably be interested in hearing what 'tallica would sound like if Bush had taken the job as singer back in the day. In fact, I'm confident that such a project would sell significantly better than Loutallicreed.

Good call. I think so too.

Still, Hetfield singing is part of what somehow made them big. With anyone else at the mic I don't think they'd have seen the same sort of success.

If someone else is singing for the 'TALLICA boys, surely it will not be the same, imagine songs in RTL with Bush, and he sang FADE TO BLACK..whoaa.

Good call. I think so too.

Still, Hetfield singing is part of what somehow made them big. With anyone else at the mic I don't think they'd have seen the same sort of success.

I can say one thing for sure: The vocals wouldn't be as shitty as they are now. They are both strong metal singers. Or at at least they were back in the day. I think it's possible they would have been just as popular. Maybe even better with James focusing only on guitar.

Heh they should bring back Mustain, Bush, and Les Claypool for a "what if" album. This would be in a magical world where egos didn't exist.

That's awesome. I love Bush's stage presence.....friggin great.

I love Worship Music and where Anthrax is at right now with Joe, but at the same time it's hard not to miss John Bush.

I don't get why they had him sing Four Horsemen.........also since Scott was there, I wonder how they interacted?

I don't get why they had him sing Four Horsemen.........also since Scott was there, I wonder how they interacted?

I'm sure it was all good. I wouldn't be surprised if John Bush ever rejoined Anthrax in some capacity. Whether it was a song onstage like this, a one off gig, tour or LP. Seems this band is rather cyclical when it comes to members coming and going. Charlie and Scott are the only ones that never left except for paternity leave.

I do miss John Bush as much as I like what's going on in Anthrax right now.

Awesome!

...only if it wasn't for the crappy drumming.

Still, I think it was James' vocals which helped make this band big.

I agree with everyone, change one ingredient and you never know how it would have changed a band's popularity. I love Bon Scott and never cared much for Brian Johnson - but would Back In Black have been as big if Bon didn't die? Doubt it.

Either way it's cool to see what they could have sounded like. As far as the significance of him doing this song - no idea. But after Kill Em All and before RTL is when Hetfield asked him to join - so at least it's a song from that era.

In recent years, I've wondered what Metallica would sound like with a decent singer. Now I know. I hope we get a pro-shot of this show.