John Bush w/ STONE SOLDIER

Tharsh

Mar 30, 2003
Sup fellas, I have a demo by a band called Stone Soldier, sometimes late-1980s, its 4 songs, two of which were sung by John Bush...one was called LOVE OR CONFUSION, the other...ah fuck, can't remember, but they both kicked ass and the other 2 tunes with their "proper" singer weren't half-bad, haha...does anyone have any more info about this collaboration or details on Stone Soldier?

How did you get those demos??? The other song that John sings on is 'Self Made King'. Also, I know the music is dated... Those demos are from the mid 80's!!! I gotta pull 'em out, I haven't listened to them in fucking years.... Funny to hear that they are still floating around. Can you tell by the lyrics of the other 2 songs what the title might be? SS had several singers, wondering what songs and who is singing on them. If I don't have them I'd dig it if you could get 'em to me. I have a pretty big collection of boots/demos and I'll make it worth your while.

Edit: Also, does you copy of 'Self Made King' have a glitch in it? Basically the demo that I have got munched at a certain spot. I re-recorded it to mp3, but obvioulsy the little "warble" from where the tape was munched is still there. If yours doesn't, can you email me your version? It would be appreciated. Also Great WV Trendkill, I'll email over the mp3's that I have, but remember that 'Self Made King' has a small glitch in it... I'm hoping Thrash's version doesn't have the glitch in it.

far as the demos i know jack shit about them, but...
stone soldier was a local band (local los angeles) and
they were the main openning band for ARMORED SAINT
at the first of their legendary new years eve parties at san pedro's waters club on sat december 31st 1988!

my clearest memory of stone soldier was my drunk ass yealling ARMOREDSAINT!!! after they left the stage & the singer sayin "they went home so shuddup & go home"!

Mr. S8N...I got that demo from a trader some years ago, and yes I have the other 2 song titles but I do not have that CD on me at the moment so can't jot 'em down for you but will get back with the info when I can. Solid stff, I was hoping to hear more of this band, do you have any other recordings? So you can't pin it down to the exact year of recording/release? Do you know if it was professionally pressed with a J-card and everything or did they just make dubs from the master?

My copy shouldn't have any glitches, the dude ripped me a version from his cassette so I'm guessing its a different source than yours...

Trendkill, at this moment I don't have access to that shit, it will take some time, so I hope S8N can hook you up, sorry about that bro!

Does anyone have any contact info for any of the Stone Solider guys? Maybe we can do some digging directly?

Wow, 2 years late on this reply...the demo is:

Darkness
Love Or Confusion
Self Made King
Invincible Metal

Though the Invincible Metal recording sounds like its from another source, or maybe session...its all fairly generated but still sounds good. Bush sings on Love and Self.

And on Self Made King, 2:41 - 2:47, sound sorta craps out of the left channel...and blanks out at 3:24...is this what you meant?

Wow, 2 years late on this reply...

And on Self Made King, 2:41 - 2:47, sound sorta craps out of the left channel...and blanks out at 3:24...is this what you meant?

Damn Tharsh... I forgot about this thread completely.

Yeah, that is what I meant. I gotta pull it out again. Haven't listened to it since the last time we wrote in this thread...

Hey all.. Kind of a late response.. the other singer of Stone Soldier that is on the 88 demo is my dad, Julian Mendez (Stone Soldier/Heretic). Currently, he is working on the Heretic project although he has done a few 4 song shows with 'Stone Soldier'. His main focus right now is Heretic, another band from the mid-80s he sang for. Anyhow, keep an eye out for upcoming Heretic shows.. Here is a link to an old myspace account I made in honor of Heretic.. The songs are from "Torture Knows No Boundaries" - Heretic, and "88 Demo" - Stone Soldier. Also, The second link is to Heretic's facebook group, just in case you want to keep up with the latest. Enjoy!

Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/hereticfromla

Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_160593130670782

-Kyle Mendez

What is the lineup of Stone Soldier? Any Synthesizers in the band at the time or stuff?