John Petrucci - Mark V demo

Mr.Skull

Mar 16, 2010
Thought ya'll might enjoy this. Mesa recently posted a video of JP running through his settings and giving a demonstration using each channel. Pretty extreme settings at times, but I think it works for his playing. Love watching him play.

Part 1

Part 2
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24e8icZG1o&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the clean sound on this head, the natural compression of it is so nice and warm. The reverb is also extremely lush. Honestly I've never found a clean I like as much anywhere else.

LOL in the beginning you can see how muscular John has become over the last years.

Thanks for posting this, OP.

I always wonder how people manage to make Mark IV or Vs sound buzzy. It's near impossible in my experience, they must really be looking for that fizzy shit.

Yeah, he probably hasn't used ear plugs his whole career, so I imagine he's got some decent 3-6KHz hearing damage going on.
He definitely has a little too much of that 6600Hz slider for my taste.
It would make sense to either leave that one flat, or to perhaps cut a bit from there, but it's not exactly a tonal region I'd really want to boost.
Probably would have made more sense to have had something around 4.5-5KhHz on there instead.

Love the clean sound on this head, the natural compression of it is so nice and warm. The reverb is also extremely lush. Honestly I've never found a clean I like as much anywhere else.

Yeah, I like to go for that kinda clean sound too, no breakup, relatively bright and chimey.
Makes me want a Mark V.

LOL in the beginning you can see how muscular John has become over the last years.

Yeah, he's definitely got that powerlifter look going on.
Love how people accuse him of being on 'roids. Guys in the Strongman competitions are on 'roids and have easily 21.5+ inch arms.
Petrucci said on his FB page he has 18 inch arms now. He's probably almost maxed out there.

^Yeah, he seems to be about that size.
I'm mates with the lead guitarist in the Melbourne thrash/groove metal band 4Arm and their rhythm guitarist/vocalist has arms about that same size too.
First time I met the guy, I was pretty intimidated, because this was before I started lifting weights and eating 3000+ calories a day (and to be honest, I'm still not big now, since I started being under averaged size except for having a gut......yep, the curse of being skinny fat :erk:) and I shook his hand and thought he'd rip my hand right off haha.
It's always good to see musos that work out. Heaps better than that fucking anorexic look that's going around lately with the super tight jeans, or just that "I party all the time and eat junk, so I have no muscle mass but a fucking gut" look that a ton of mediocre Aussie bands have.

I feel ya. I used to be hard into the gym myself years back when I was in college, but full-time audio work pretty much shatters all your bodybuilding ambitions, trust me. A lot of musos piss their time away getting wasted, and gaming, whereas its the image that takes a great deal of work if they want to get anywhere. Hitting the gym can really pay off in a performing role.

Reallllllllly makes me think about selling my IV to get a V.

MUST. NOT. CAVE.

amarshism - can you describe the differences between the IV and V, if you'd played/owned a IV, that is? I hear the V has LESS gain on tap and the 5-band EQ isn't as sensitive as the IV. But I heard nothing but good things about the V so far.

And I have to agree with Ermz - it's possible to get fizzy with too much gain/presence and too much bass will get some flub going (I keep my bass at like1-2)...but it's easy to NOT have that fizz as well. Guess it's time to take the girl back to the jam space....:Smokedev:

I feel ya. I used to be hard into the gym myself years back when I was in college, but full-time audio work pretty much shatters all your bodybuilding ambitions, trust me. A lot of musos piss their time away getting wasted, and gaming, whereas its the image that takes a great deal of work if they want to get anywhere. Hitting the gym can really pay off in a performing role.

Haha, well I've figured full time audio engineer/production isn't for me.
Went through a period of barely any exercise, and eating shit all the time, and it definitely played a role in worsening my anxiety and depression that was quite severe 2 years ago.
Decided to take up weights since I figured it would keep me healthy and boost my self esteem. I definitely feel more confident already.
I tend to think it's pretty sad (perhaps even pathetic) see guys in bands well in their 30s and beyond still doing the "gotta get wastedddddd!" party thing.
I've pretty much already grown out of binge drinking. My frequent partying days were fun, wont lie, and wouldn't have traded many of those nights for anything, but it seems like at some point you've gotta realize that you've already experienced it plenty of times and you've gotta move on.
Some of my mates give me shit for barely partying and rarely ever drinking alcohol now and I always find it funny that people will piss on you for trying to really better yourself. I'm just hoping they'll realize soon what motivates you as an adult shouldn't really be the same shit that motivated you as a 16-18 year old kid.
I imagine Petrucci got the whole "You've got no life" thing back in high school for playing guitar all day after school. And now look, he's achieved more than all those fuckers and could beat 'em all up easily haha.
I know that certainly happened to me a few times (being told I had no life because I was actually passionate about stuff wasn't out taking meth on the weekend), of course always from people barely intelligent enough to tell their own arse from their face.

Oh boy, that was a bit of a long one. Getting late again I suppose.

Yeah, I like to go for that kinda clean sound too, no breakup, relatively bright and chimey.
Makes me want a Mark V.

That clean section was probably my favorite part of the demo. Haven't really watched any demos of the clean channel, but MAN it sounds nice. Is he using the middle position on his pickups? If so, I need to try that out more often. I typically just play bridge/neck position when playing clean.

It's nice to hear petrucci playing again with some really tight tones after the mud-fest that were the few previous albums.

Haven't heard much of the previous albums, but pretty sure he used the IV and Lonestar? I wasn't too impressed with the IV tones he was getting (mainly rhythms) and I know what the amps are capable of.

I dunno, it sounds good, but just kinda...processed to my ears, sorta muffled but with weird spikes at certain frequencies (for example, 2.2k and 6k, wonder why :loco: ), which is always how I've sorta felt about Mark tones; I prefer the open fullness of just about any other high-gain amp (since I think the Mark series is pretty unique in its tone shaping abilities, for better or for worse - obviously a taste thing)

Damn those chugs on "Pull me under" sound great... And the Mark V is only 3000€ on Thomann! Whee...

damnit I must find a Mark V head to record grrrrrrr. maybe I have to order one from thomann and then use the 30-day return thingie. But I would probably keep it if I do. So no I have to find some guy in sweden owning one.