John5

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Posted: Jul 17, 2http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1582402#1582402006 01:57 pm Post subject: http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1582402 http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=1582402 I know he's not metal but one hell of a nice guy. Just in case there's some interest... This is not the final edit, but here's my phone interview with John5....

John5 Interview

<b> I remember first hearing John5 back when he was guitarist for Rob Halford’s Two project. I became more familiar when he signed on to record with David Lee Roth on the DLR Band record. He delivered one hell of a performance on that record. The song “Slam Dunk” off DLR Band has that vintage Van Halen sound. Then he went on to Manson’s band after a lengthy stint he left and has now joined Rob Zombie’s band. I spoke with John5 about his past bands and his role Zombie’s band and his part in the fantastic new Rob Zombie record <i>Educated Horses</i>. I found John5 to be a humble, soft spoken, passionate about music and very much looking to his future with Rob Zombie. Here’s my interview that took place on 6.27.06. Enjoy.</b><br><br>

<b>Ruben Mosqueda for Pivotal Rage: John thanks for taking the time to talk to Pivotal Rage, I know you are about ready to kick off a tour. That starts when? </b>

John5: We head to El Paso on Thursday and the first show is that Friday, I’m really looking forward to it.

<b>PR: You once played with K.D. Lang correct? What was that like? And how did you land that gig?</b>

John5: Great question, yeah I did, 1996-97. I there was this famous pedal steel player name Greg Leach who has played on many records, he suggested me for a guitar playing gig. There was like 200 guitar players auditioning. I love playing guitar and I’m real psycho about, so I learned the songs, I learned all the keyboard parts, all the melody lines, just everything. I really wanted the gig and I went in there nailed it and got the gig. It was awesome, that was my first professional tour.

<b>PR: Were you into the music? It’s not traditional country music, how would you describe it?</b>

John5: Well, I‘ll tell you it’s completely, completely different than playing rock. Everybody and I mean everybody in the band is a multi-instrumentalist and very, very…It’s all they do, they don’t party, they just play their instruments. When we were on the road, everyone was great to each other there was no drama and I always thought that it was such an amazing situation. I thought will I ever find something like this again? It never did until I got this opportunity to work with Rob Zombie, it happened. Everyone is so cool, it’s perfect, very much like a family. With K.D. Lang was a great situation, I got a chance to play country music and it was a great situation.

<b>PR: Then you worked with Rob Halford on the “Two” project. How did that come together? And how was your experience working with “The Metal GOD” in a not so “metal” album? </b>

John5: You know what? I don’t really recall how that one came about!
I think it came togther through Bob Marlette, he was our producer. He obviously knew Rob Halford and got in touch with musicians. That was another great experience, Rob is an amazing talent. What a singer, it was a true treat, we had a great time. We were on Nothing Records and that’s how that led to the Manson gig.

<b>PR: Why do you think that album wasn’t well received? Halford has legions of fans. It should have sold better than it did? </b>

John5: Well… personally I think. We made two records, of the same songs, one being a rock record and the other was the end result (“Voyeurs”). The rock record was heavy and guitar driven, really crazy, really crazy, that’s the record that I liked. I forget, it wasn’t Trent (Reznor) but someone else that remixed the album and as you can tell they took a lot of the guitars out! I’ll never forget Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine was down in the studio. When he got a listen to the album, he told me that it was one of the coolest sounding, heavy guitar records that he has ever heard. Unfortunately while the record was being mixed and mastered I was on tour with someone else and I wasn’t there to give my consent…

<b>PR: You also recorded with David Lee Roth’s DLR Band disc. I love that record, it was to be Diamond Dave’s big comeback after a couple of duds. What was the recording and writing for that record like? That record to me seemed geared for the Van Halen fans.</b>

John5: Exactly. You know I’m a Van Halen fan, so I know what Van Halen fans want to hear. I wrote him a bunch of songs and we went in and did it live like Van Halen used to do. When we finished it we sent it to radio and it blew up! One of my close friends works in publishing at Chrysalis. He was filling me in on the system they use to track when and where things are played on radio, he showed me what the single was doing and it just blew up.

<b>PR: I remember when I picked up the single for the DLR Band. It had Slam Dunk and King of the Hill, which were both the songs that were on the radio. And you wrote and played on Slam Dunk. That was vintage sounding Van Halen, but it wasn’t!</b>

John5: Yeah. Even Eddie Van Halen like it! I recall he commented on a Detroit radio station that he liked it! I’m really proud of that and Dave was awesome. I think this would have still been going on, but then I joined Marilyn Manson.

<b>PR: You weren’t involved with the series of shows to promote the record, what happened that you weren’t involved with that? </b>

John5: Well, it was at the time that I joined Manson. I just couldn’t do both!

<b>PR: Was there a better offer from the Manson camp? I mean here you are getting a chance of a lifetime, to play with one of your idols and you leave that gig for something else?</b>

John5: I was weighing them out, weighing them out, thinking about this gig vs. that gig. Thinking which one is the right thing to do, I’ll admit it I rolled the dice. I took Manson and I know I picked the right gig. And I’m very happy about the outcome.

<b>PR: You also spent a number of years as member of Marilyn Manson’s band. Didn’t you come on board during the “Mechanical Animals” record? </b>

John5: Right. When Mechanical Animals came out I was in the band.

<b>PR: What is Manson really like? I envision a guy that is putting on an act and in private he’s drinking tea and is a well mannered fellow. Am I wrong here? </b>

John5: Well, first of all the guy is a genius. And he’s an artist that is completely out of his mind. He’s so smart you’d never want to get into an argument with him, because he is that intelligent. A genius that is out of his mind, it was an experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life.

<b>PR: Manson was the guy that dubbed you “John 5.” What is the significance of that name?
And why keep it after leaving the band? </b>

John5: Yeah, well he was into numbers at the time of the Mechanical Animals record, it was a biblical reference and I was also the fifth member of the band. Well, I have put out material since leaving Manson and I was thinking, I have to be smart about this. If I use the name John Lowery, then there are a lot of people that wouldn’t know who that is. They know me as John5, which I think they sold better because I kept the name.

<b>PR: The split from Manson’s band was it on good terms? </b>

John5: That was on good terms I still talk to him and check in with what he’s doing. We will always be friends.

<b>PR: Prior to coming on board with Rob Zombie you had another band called Loser, what is the status of that band? Loser was set to release a record in June of 2006 and it was shelved by the label? Were you signed or was the band? I imagine if the label wanted to recoup any of the money, they’d put it out, right? </b>

John5: Well, it wasn’t shelved by the label. It was more or less shelved by me. What happened is, I’m in my favorite band, when I joined Rob Zombie. If you look at old interviews, you’ll see that I have mentioned when asked who would I like to work with or tour with. I have always mentioned Rob Zombie. I love Rob, I think he is phenomenal and I hope I never get out of this band, because this is my favorite band.
True I did have a band called Loser, before Rob Zombie, but as I got more and more involved with Rob Zombie, making music, touring, the record company (Island) said time to get going with Loser. I let them know that I’m in Rob’s band and I’m not committed to Loser. I even went as far as asking them if they could get someone to fill in for me. They said if I’m no there they aren’t there, so the record was put on the shelf. So it was kinda my choice.

<b>PR: You think that record will ever see the light of day? </b>

John5: I don’t know, I don’t know, it’s a real good record in fact it’s still being played on radio in many places. It takes a lot of money to get a record played on the radio, people like the song so much they still request it. Who knows what is gonna happen with it.

<b>PR: How much writing did you contribute to “Educated Horses?” What are your favorites on the record? </b>

John5: I wrote 8 out of the 11 songs, with Scott Humphrey and Rob. The three of us wrote very well together, I was really lucky that they let me in and let me write. My favorites I have to say I really like “American Witch,” that one is really fun, also “Let it All Bleed Out,” “Devil’s Rejects.” We’re doing that song live and it sound so great live!
I just really enjoy the record a lot. We did it live, we sat there and played, rocked out, you can tell from the pictures on the cd booklet.

<b>PR: How much of the record has made it onto the current set list? Does Rob get input from the entire band on what should make the set list? </b>

John5: Rob makes all the decision, but he does ask for opinions from the band. Rob will always be the guy that makes the final decision. We are doing “American Witch,” “Let it All Bleed Out,” “Foxy,Foxy,” “Devil’s Rejects,” and another favorite of mine is “Lords of Salem,” it’s so mean and heavy, I just love it!

<b>PR: How is the new material going over live? I have seen you guys do “American Witch” on Leno and Letterman and it gone over very well. </b>

John5: Here’s the thing, at the shows we have been seeing a lot of new fans, young fans, they might have never seen White Zombie, but are familiar with Rob solos stuff the new fans seem to really enjoy it.

<b>PR: What is your favorite song to play live from the White Zombie and Rob Zombie back catalog? And why? </b>

John5: That’s a good question, I really enjoy, we do all of Rob’s hits and stuff from White Zombie and we have played over 100 shows at this point. There hasn’t been a song that I have grown tired of playing, I can honestly say that I love playing every single one of his songs. I’m not just saying that. I’m still proud of being up there playing “More Human Than Human,” “Thunder Kiss” I’ve very proud of being part of the Zombie history.

<b>PR: You guys changing the set for this headlining tour? Or will it be similar to the last leg? </b>

John5: No, we always change it around, we are goin’ out with Anthrax opening, Friday is the first show. It’s gonna be great!

<b>PR: Rob stated last year when he signed up for the second stage on Ozzfest that he was growing tired of the big productions, what is the stage show like for this tour? Any surprises? </b>

John5: I think the reason that he wanted the second stage, is that it is a billion times crazier. There’s people up close tearing their shirts off and you can see everything that is happening. On the main stage there’s seats in the cement, the second stage you can see the pits, it’s one of the smartest things Rob has done. The second stage is the best, I even think Ozzy is talking about doing the side stage this year. I could be wrong. And as for the stage it’s not scaled back it’s gonna be ridiculous.

<b>PR: Any Surprises?</b>

John5: Nah, I can’t give ‘em away!

<b>PR: With all this touring will there be another solo record coming soon? </b>

John5: I’m working on another instrumental record and I just talked to Joe Satriani and sounds like he’s gonna help me out on this one.

<b>PR: Who have been your biggest influences? </b>

John5: Yeah, Van Halen, Kiss, it just so happens that I finished a song for Paul Stanley for his solo record. I’m really excited about that, yet another dream come true.

<b>PR: Can you share the title to the track you cut with Paul Stanley?</b>

John5: I don’t know if I can, but I think Paul’s record is phenomenal.
As for other influences, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Hendrix, Nine Inch Nails, Tom Morello, I love it all.

<b>PR: You mentioned Kiss as an influence? I’m a regular on Metal Sludge, I don’t know if you’re familiar with that site? Anyway I read on there that you have hell of a Kiss poster collection, is that true?<b>

John5: I have been collecting Kiss poster for a number of years and I just sold it about two years ago. So I cashed in!

<b>PR: In closing any thing you’d like to plug or anything you’d like to say to the readers of Pivotal Rage? </b>

John5: Come see us, come to the Zombie shows, we love meeting everybody and shaking everyone’s hand, all that stuff. It’s a true pleasure meeting all of the fans, because that’s why we are out there.

John5 is one hell of a nice guy it was blast interviewing the guy. He answered everything. Wish there were more musicians as humble and down to earth as him! Thanks to John5 and his PR crew for allowing Pivotal Rage to again score a killer interview.

Great interview man! I have Rob Zombie's Educated Horses CD and it's been getting a lot of play lately. Great guitar sound by 5. It's so cool to hear he's a KISS fan and he's written a song with Paul Stanley to boot! That's one more reason to pick up Paul's solo CD when it comes out.

I just went an saw the Zombie/Anthrax show here Friday.It was a hell of a show.

They played a few White Zombie songs which was great. John5 was great too. He looked very spooky, but was very cool and responsive to the audience. He gave us a nice solo too! ONe of the coolest parts is when he played this spooky part of a song using a violin bow on a twelve string guitar. :kickass:

The only thing I could say about John5 that is less than awesome is that he kept spitting on people:yuk:

Maybe he's still adjusting to life after Manson?!

That could be! He did have some face paint on...

But ya, he kept spitting into the crowd and when he wasn't doing that he was spitting into the air and catching it is his mouth. The guy enjoys saliva I guess!

One thing that really stood out about the performance is that Rob and John5 seem and act as if they have been best friends forever. Very good onstage chemistry/interaction.

I would really recomend going to the show. Robs stage show is great and Anthrax is the opener. Anthrax put on a great performance. They even performed Bring the Noise with all the guys rapping! The whole crowd got super into it and it was great to be a part of!