JON OLIVA: What Would YOU Like To Know?

I do understand the point you're making and it's a good one. With that said, I thought you were coming down just a tad hard on people that were asking questions specifically to Savatage.

In my thinking, regarding your point, I believe it would be a little more disheartening for the rest of the JOP band members, moreso than Jon. Again, I'm sure that they knew it would just come with the territory though.:kickass:

~Brian~
Both points well taken. Looking back, my original post was meant to be a little more light-hearted that it probably initially came across. (Probably should have thrown one of these :lol: in there at the end.) In the grand scheme of things, it sounds like we are on the same page though.

Also, forgot to give Wake of Magellan a mention along with my previous +1. And I'm realizing more and more I need to borrow Nick's Poets and Madmen since I'm not really too familiar with that album.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Bill.

You may all now return to your regularly scheduled questioning.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Bill.

You may all now return to your regularly scheduled questioning.

No problem at all. The discussions make for interesting trains of thought and fodder for questions.

I don't think anyone dissed Jon, or even each other, in this thread.

What's cool about a guy like Jon Oliva is that he's had such a long and remarkable career. If all he was known for is JoP, he'd still be a fascinating interview. Yet, he's associated with two other much-loved bands (Savatage and TSO, obviously) about which people are quite passionate. So there's bound to be a lively discussion whenever his name is brought up. :)

That said, are there questions specific to JoP that people would like to ask? I'm all eyes...

Bill

from what Jon has said both of the last 2 JOP albums are made from guitar riffs found that Cris had done years ago. Manical Renderings had some blistering tracks on it but the new one is more mellow like 'Tage Mahal. Why?

1) How much did the other guys contribute to the writing process?
2) Has Paul O'Neil voiced any interest in collaborating with Jon on a JOP album?
3) What different bands inspired the latest album?
4) What made Jon decide to use some industrial effects with his vocals on a song or two?
5) Are there any new metal bands out there that you are listening to?
6) Was he worried that when he was using some of Criss's old tapes that these were riffs that Criss didn't like enough to share?

How about if he has any desire of doing another Dr. Butcher album with Chris Caffery?

More specifically, has he thought of adding a Dr. Butcher song to his setlist? That would definitely make for a unique Progpower experience.

I'm drawing a blank on JoP specific questions though. I really haven't been following the band as much as I should be...

Rose, maybe there's a reason everyone's asking about Savatage/TSO. It might spark more fuel to the reunion fire to know that the fans are so interested in the project. I say all's fair.

Rose, maybe there's a reason everyone's asking about Savatage/TSO. It might spark more fuel to the reunion fire to know that the fans are so interested in the project. I say all's fair.
Oh, for sure. And spark I hope it does. As I said, I'd love to see a Savatage reunion someday. (I'm incredibly jealous of Nick who was able to drive to FL for the Criss 30th Birthday Show a few years ago - from what I've heard probably the closest thing to a reunion most people will ever see.) Just playing a little devil's advocate for Jon's side, and sort of for Bill's side too. After all Bill's writing/bringing together the interviews for the ProgPower program on the bands playing ProgPower - in this case, Jon Oliva's Pain. I'm sure he wants to touch upon all facets of Jon's career, but I would think with a focus on the band/project/what-have-you that is actually playing the festival.

Questions for Jon:
I know Jon knows how to play several different instruments. My questions to him would be what is his favorite instrument to play (I would assume piano, but you never know)? What is his favorite instrument to listen to?

Also, what is his writing process like? Does he compose first them come up with lyrics? Vice-verse? Is it a mixture of the two depending on the piece? Does it vary based on the band or project he is creating for? Or is it anyone's guess (including his) depending on what side of the bed he woke up on?

Looks like my interview with the Mountain King will take place this Friday night (May 23).

As always, I appreciate your questions and postings.

By the way, I've managed to ask some of your Qs during each of my interviews so far. It's been fun. I'm sure this Friday night will be no less so.

Cheers,

Bill

here are some questions
1. In October 2003, there was a Savatage performance in Tampa, FL. I'm talking about the Criss Oliva 10th Anniversary Memorial Concert (anyone else go to that?) A re-formed Dr. Butcher played 2 songs. Gene Barnett (drummer on Dr Butcher's album) was not on the drums. According to Gene, he was never even asked to play with Butcher again, nor was he even told about the album reissue.

Why was Gene left in the dark on this?

2. At the same show in October 2003, JoP had a different line up than they do now. After this show JoP became Jon + Circle II Circle. What happened to the other guys from the original line-up?
and what was the deal with that bass player? he looked like Chef Boyardee playing metal :lol:

it was the 10th Anniversary of his death, not 30th birthday
My bad. I thought you had a poster at home that said "Remembering him on his 30th birthday." Perhaps it was not from that show as I thought.

EDIT: My bad, again. Got home and checked last night and the poster says "40th Birthday" not 30th, and Nick explained that it was the year Criss would have turned 40, but the show was not on Criss' actual Birthday.