Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Masterpiece. Best album they've done. As good as anything he has done since Streets (and I think I had said the same about Maniacal Renderings, but this is better than MR).

I love the Queen influence on so many of the songs. This album makes so many other bands sound like amateurs, from the singing to the song arrangements to the melodies to the guitar solos.

The album is a mix of songs about a rising temperature of human termperment, and of songs that are more personal about I think the chaos and unpredictability of one's own life. I'll have to read the lyrics closer to really piece it together.

But I can't emphasize -songs- strong enough. While most bands are happy to produce a certain 'sound' and go with it. JOP changes things up from song to song. Its clear when one ends and another begins. Each can live with you long after you stop listening to the album. The art of quality sound crafting is so rare, especially in metal (as most bands seem just satisfied to -be- metal, and to mimick other metal bands), that when you come across an album that has nearly mastered that art... its just incredible.

The only part I take issue with at time is the lyrics. At times they are overly simply and cliche. But I think that Jon wanted these certain lyrics to be so.

I can't recommend this album more.

While I like it, I think that Jon is just recycling his stuff since his first solo disc. When 'Tage Mahal came out, I was wowed. It's Savatage reincarnate! With Maniacal Renderings, I was happy, but knew that there wasn't much in the way of originality. With Global Warning, that thought has been hammered home. Sure, Savatage was never very progressive from album to album, but with JOP, he hasn't been going anywhere at all, except perhaps a bit backwards.

So yeah, I'm a fan. But it can't hold my interest for repeat listens, or even make it through a whole album at a time. The intensity is there, but the memorable riffage, the interesting lyrics, and the melodic foundation are faded and gone since Poets and Madmen became old news.

I honestly haven't heard this release yet, because I haven't had the chance to buy it. With that said, I'll be picking it up soon, so that I can have some sort of opinion formed. I'm always looking for consistency when it comes to Jon and his music, and I'm sure that I'll be getting that with Global Warning.

~Brian~

Very disappointed in this album compared to Maniacal Renderings.

Masterpiece. Best album they've done. As good as anything he has done since Streets (and I think I had said the same about Maniacal Renderings, but this is better than MR).

I can't recommend this album more.

I agree. There's something about Global Warning that grabbed me from the first track. It has a cool vibe to it. Very creative album. I think it's his best work (post Savatage) to date.

I'm looking forward to asking Jon about it in a week or two.

Bill

Jon is probably my all-time favourite singer and songwriter, so I look forward to hearing the new album. It's on its way from lasercd as I type this, but so far I've heard lots of mixed reviews on it. Then again, I'm one of those who think MR was better than the debut. This one's said to be a lot more acoustic based, which I think would be cool.

Yeah, I haven't heard the CD yet - but this one is getting very mixed reviews from what I've seen. Some calling it one of his best works other, others calling it the worst of his 3 solo offerings (and a lot of the Savatage catalogue).

Waiting for it to arrive!

First off,I'm a huge fan of the Mtn King! I was excited about this disc when I heard it was coming,but now that I've heard it I've dubbed it "Global Boring". The material doesnt stand as anything redeemable compared to his past works...I've tried to like it,I just can't get into it.

What Kenneth R said - i heard it before, and honestly I heard it better. We all love Oliva, and he is a brilliant composer. But I think he is brilliant when paired up with O'Neil and his brother, RIP. I know he claims that this is now Savatage, but to me it's not. His solo stuff has had flashes of awesomness on each album, but as wholes, each album to me is just average. Including the new one. I feel similarly about Zach's and Chris' solo efforts. I mentioned this before, but what a great Savatage album(s) we could have if you put best songs from each one of their solo efforts?

What Kenneth R said - i heard it before, and honestly I heard it better. We all love Oliva, and he is a brilliant composer. But I think he is brilliant when paired up with O'Neil and his brother, RIP. I know he claims that this is now Savatage, but to me it's not. His solo stuff has had flashes of awesomness on each album, but as wholes, each album to me is just average. Including the new one. I feel similarly about Zach's and Chris' solo efforts. I mentioned this before, but what a great Savatage album(s) we could have if you put best songs from each one of their solo efforts?

You never will hear me argue that Paul O'Neill and Jon Oliva had a chemistry like no other writing team. :erk: I think they about killed each other at times while making records, but they sure came up with some classics! :worship:

~Brian~

I agree the O'Neill-Oliva tandem of songwriting is unbeatable. Though the last Savatage album Poets & Madmen is not most fans' favourite, I feel no Oliva album, no TSO album, no Caff album or even Doctor Butcher album can touch it. Oliva is a great writer on his own, but together with Paul O'Neill, he is the best.

I agree the O'Neill-Oliva tandem of songwriting is unbeatable. Though the last Savatage album Poets & Madmen is not most fans' favourite, I feel no Oliva album, no TSO album, no Caff album or even Doctor Butcher album can touch it. Oliva is a great writer on his own, but together with Paul O'Neill, he is the best.

Ditto that, love all the Savatage albums from Hall of the Mountain King all the way to Poets & Madmen. P&M is my fave Savatage album, and probably in the top 3 fave albums of ALL TIME for me. I'll agree, that album is untouchable, although Streets and Gutter Ballet come close... oh, and Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan too.

I love all of the JOP albums as well. They may not quite be on par with the Sava-classics, but they still outshine most other bands out there. Jon's songwriting just sings to my heart, alone, and especially with O'Neill. While I enjoy Caff and Zak's efforts, the songwriting just isn't there for me.

P&M is my fave Savatage album, and probably in the top 3 fave albums of ALL TIME for me.

I have no idea why P&M gets so much flack from "fans". The P&M era is when I got into the band, being the reason why I've never witnessed a "true" Savatage live show. :erk: I agree with you, it's a great album. Morphine Child and Commisar are worth the price alone! :headbang:

~Brian~

I like P&M a lot as well. I like everything from Streets on. And some of the older stuff, but the albums as a whole weren't as polished. Though each did have some great songs.

Being pretty much a power metal purist, I don't like this CD as much as MR, but I certainly appreciate the variety of muscianship/songwriting/composition on this CD. Much like PoS - I respect their talent, but just can't get into it. It's pretty clear the current state of the world weighs on Jon, but it does seem to be escalating. Kinda reminds me of John Lennon; it ate him up.

Chris :headbang:

Jon Oliva's Pain along with the new CD "Global Warning" will be
featured tonight @ 9 pm on the Boneyards XM satellite radio Channel 41and streaming live online via the XM website.

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage.xmc?ch=41

Circle II Circle will also be a featured artist as well!

Tune in!

:headbang:

thanks for the head's up! :) I usually try to catch the show each week. And I'm listening as they're playing the CIIC track right now (9:40PM). What's cool is that Kevin mentioned the tour this fall! Bad ASS!!! :kickass:

There's still time to tune in folks! JOP is yet to come!

I had downloaded some tracks while waiting for Independent Records to get my copy in, but as it was just a few tracks I decided not to listen until I can have all of them in the proper order (just weird like that I guess).

So first impressions - lots of variety - I think JO mentions bands like Deep Purple and Zep in the liner notes - and there is definitely that "feel" on some of the songs - but it definitely is the work of Jon Oliva. I am really digging it - most albums don't "grab" me right away - so I expect to like it more and more over the coming months.

This cd is making me even happier that I got selected as a Sponsor for JOP for this Progpower. Not only do I think the band is continuing to grow & gel as a unit - but I think they'll be fun guys to get together and party with :)

Bring on September, :headbang:
Jeff