Jon Schaffer: Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe Jon and Matt are family by marriage.I think Matt married Jon's sister or cousin or something like that.I think I read that on either the Pyramaze website or IE's website when the explanation of why Matt was coming back was announced.Like I said,I may be wrong on this,so somebody help me out if I am.
Jon is Matt's BiL. Matt is married to Jon's sister.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe Jon and Matt are family by marriage.I think Matt married Jon's sister or cousin or something like that.I think I read that on either the Pyramaze website or IE's website when the explanation of why Matt was coming back was announced.Like I said,I may be wrong on this,so somebody help me out if I am.
They are. But being someone's brother-in-law and being friends aren't necessarily one in the same.

Zod

When IE toured Europe the last time with Tim, they were playing to much smaller audiences than the tour before. The European promoters flat out told Jon that IE would continue to draw less and less unless they got Matt back.

However, Jon is also a guy in his mid-40s, with a wife and a kid. For him to view Iced Earth as something other than a business would be foolish.

This.

If Jon is going to continue to do the band full time, he has to protect it as he does this family. Matt showed interest in coming back. It would make for a more enjoyable experience for Jon, probably both on the road and in the studio. Maybe the family thing was a factor.

Once again, Ripper certainly knew and accepted his status as a hired gun.
Not sure why so many folks are shocked by Jon's comments.

I REALLY liked both Ripper fronted albums, and thought he did a good job live fronting the band. Though at the end of the day, Barlow is THE voice of Iced Earth. Period.

I REALLY liked both Ripper fronted albums, and thought he did a good job live fronting the band. Though at the end of the day, Barlow is THE voice of Iced Earth. Period.

The first time I heard Matt's voice,I knew I had found a band I was definitely going to enjoy listening to for a long time.I had been listening to them for about 2 years when Matt left and I was devastated since he had become one of my favorite voices in metal.But,luckily I was also a fan of Ripper since his Winter Bane days,so I felt good about him taking over.But I agree that Matt is the voice of the band and ultimately how or why Jon took him back is irrelevant to me.I love every album Iced Earth has put out.Of course,I have my favorite songs from all the albums but there are not many bands that I enjoy every album like I do these guys.

The first time I heard Matt's voice,I knew I had found a band I was definitely going to enjoy listening to for a long time.I had been listening to them for about 2 years when Matt left and I was devastated since he had become one of my favorite voices in metal.But,luckily I was also a fan of Ripper since his Winter Bane days,so I felt good about him taking over.But I agree that Matt is the voice of the band and ultimately how or why Jon took him back is irrelevant to me.I love every album Iced Earth has put out.Of course,I have my favorite songs from all the albums but there are not many bands that I enjoy every album like I do these guys.

I most definitely & heartily agree w/ you about Iced Earth & Matt & Ripper btw! I started listening to IE back in 2000, when Horrorshow came out, BUT it was the awesome redone collection of "Days Of Purgatory" that made me a long time IE fan ever since!!! I too loved Ripper as well, but from the 2 previous Priest cds, especially "Demolition", which kicked major ass imho!!! Iced Earth have ever since become one of my all time fave Metal bands along w/ Iron Maiden & Judas Priest!!! & Matt Barlow has also become one of my all time fave Metal singers ever since then too!!!!!:headbang: