Jonas and Rikard discuss Inner Circle, North American tour and future plans

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
not sure how many of you saw this... but i just saw it today... so i thought maybe you would enjoy reading it

http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=12980

EVERGREY – North American Tour Update [Hot Flashes - 04.04.27 14:32:40]

Swedish dark power proggers EVERGREY are currently touring North America with CHILDREN OF BODOM and headliners ICED EARTH. Thus far, all bands have been enthusiastically received and about two-thirds of the dates have been sell-outs.

“We drink a lot,” laughs drummer Jonas Ekdahl, when asked how they are coping having both Evergrey and Children Of Bodom on one bus. “No, all of them are great guys. Iced Earth too. They're all cool guys, really friendly. The audience is kind of different here compared to Europe. Because almost like 80% of the audience that we play to every night has never, ever heard of Evergrey. But still, they're just going nuts. And mostly the crowds in Europe don't do that.”

The tour is in support of the masterful new album, The Inner Circle, a concept album about cults and child sacrifice. “It's definitely darker and heavier and not as fast as Recreation Day, but I think it’s got a lot more emotion,” notes Jonas, keyboardist Rikard Zander adding that, “it's like we worked it through a little bit more. Recreation Day had excellent songs and everything, but we were in too much of a hurry to complete it. Afterward, there were a couple of things we thought we could have done better, so that's why we took a little bit more time on this album. We really worked the songs through so we would be happy with it; I think we succeeded with that.”

It was Jonas that had to work most closely with the string quartet hired and put to classy use on the record. “Yes, you could say that I guess, because as the only guy in the band with music theory, I had to write down the notes that they were supposed to play. And since I haven't done that in three years, it was kind of hard in the beginning. But they were so great, they picked it up really fast.”

Finally, Jonas reveals a side project simmering menacingly in the wings. “Yes, we have one side project. Me, Rikard and Henrik (Danhage – guitars), we've been working on, and it's called DEATH DESTRUCTION, a death metal band, a power trio. We've been working on some stuff there and we're probably going to record something in the summer and fall. No label plans yet.”

For more on Evergrey, see www.evergrey.net