Journey

HeavyMetalLiker

New Metal Member
Feb 14, 2004
Tucson
I've been doing alot of bashin' since I joined the forum, (ac/dc,Rolling Stones, Incubus) but not this time. Journey is rather under rated for their musical ability, first of all lets ignore the fact that at the time they were considered pop and also that they only sang love songs. To make it really interesting I'll compare them to Symphony X. Steve Perry's vocals are unbelieveable, I'm even going to say that they are better then Russel Allens, but the only problem is that Perry needs to try the evil voice. The fact that I am comparing these two is going to piss people off but I'm still gonna do it. Neil Schon is one of the most versatile guitarist I have ever heard, he can do ultra intense speed like Romeo but he can also slow it down unlike Romeo, I'm not saying he is better but I am saying that Romeo just likes to show off alot. Jonathan Cain the Keyboardist of Journey may not have the speed ability but he wrote most of their hits. The rest of Journey sucks so I am not going to even try to compare them.
If you want some proof of their ability download the live version of Wheel In the Sky and be amazed(if there is not an intense solo at the end you got the wrong one)

Where to Start, oh where to start....
Yes Journey still is a great band, but you still are bashing them by calling the rest of Journey as "sucking", which that alone indicates you know very little about Journey. You probably don't know that their first three albums are Prog Rock, or that their first singer was Keyboardist Greg Rollie. But the rest of Journey sucks?!
Bassist Ross Valory, Randy Jackson(yes that American Idol Judge) have no musical skills? is that what you're saying?! You're telling me that Ansely Dunbar and Steve Smith are terrible drummers?! Go back and do your homework (ESPECIALLY about Steve Smith)
I've always considered Neal Schon to be the first shredder, and when you hear him play you can say "hey that's Neal Schon" so yes he does have a distinct sound when he plays. But I would never compare Schon to Romeo just because "Romeo doesn't know how to slow down" bullshit excuse. I like the two just the way they are. As for Romeo showing off, now Yngwie HE shows off by overplaying every little thing at his shows, but Mike he just keeps the flow of the song going, and I have yet to see him over indulge himself while just playing rythyme.

As for Comparing the 2 bands, god why bother? I still listen to Journey as much as SX because they ARE NOT the same, If you wanted to compare each member' skills to each other, like I said do some more homework and give examples, if that kind of thing floats your boat.

HeavyMetalLiker said:
To make it really interesting I'll compare them to Symphony X.
Very interesting indeed... :confused:

Some threads you might start next:
Abba and Symphony X
Beatles and Symphony X
Rolling Stones and Symphony X
Britney Spears and Symphony X
Michael Jackson and Symphony X
... to be continued...

Lord Of The Snow said:
Very interesting indeed... :confused:

Some threads you might start next:
Abba and Symphony X
Beatles and Symphony X
Rolling Stones and Symphony X
Britney Spears and Symphony X
Michael Jackson and Symphony X
... to be continued...
Uh..or not..

;)

Go listen to Tony MacAlpine's first album "Edge of Insanity" and then come back and tell us that Steve Smith sucks.

Aynsley Dunbar also played drums on the s/t Whitesnake album, so there you have another point of reference.

They only sang love songs?!?!?!

...once again, do your homework.

I think every member Journey ever had has been extremely talented. If you want to see Neal Schon burn, watch The Making of Hear 'n Aid.

Romeo can slow down as well. What in god's name makes you think he can't? I think a lot of this has been pulled out of your ass. I like journey, and i think steve perry is god, but there is no way you can compare the two. Bah.

Here's some advice: Bash either Metallica or Dream Theater around here, if anyone - You might actually gain a little following by doing that. ;)

Another piece of advice would be to not bash at all - And just enjoy music for what it is.

Journey as "sucking", which that alone indicates you know very little about Journey.
Since your dumbass didnt get it, I will explain it for you. I put that because compared to Rullo and Lepond yes they do suck. And the old keyboardist guy didnt do shit compared to Jonathan Cain

theodyssey said:
Romeo can slow down as well. What in god's name makes you think he can't? I think a lot of this has been pulled out of your ass. I like journey, and i think steve perry is god, but there is no way you can compare the two. Bah.

It just seems that even in slow songs they speed up the tempo so he can do a intense solo thats all, I am not saying he cant he just doesnt. Candlelight Fantasia for example.

i disagree, but let's go with a fast example. Romeo can show more emotion through his guitar playing than most "slow" guitarists... speed doesn't stop him here. for example the song off the ayreon album that russ sings on and romeo does the solo, he does a prety slow solo (followed by a blazing solo) and the solo has some fast licks in it, but it has tons of emotion.

i'm with the people above that said romeo can slow it down and show emotion in his solos. Also, when he's not playing a solo he's playing exactly whats right for the song and not "showing off" at all. Take the accolade, accolade II, communion and the oracle, fallen, egypt, rediscovery, the edge of forever, TDWOT, the odyssey..... u know what... take just about any song and it's proof that he can "slow it down" and show emotion whether it's in a solo or just a melody or even rhythm part. and heavymetalliker... have u made any posts or started any threads that arent totally obnoxious yet? i wonder what kindof reply you'll have for me....

ok here is one for you odysseus. first if all I never ever listen to V so maybe I should. Second I am talking solos and not melodies. And third did I mention emotion in any of my post I dont think so. I relize I am an asshole I have been for the last year or so. I think its a phase I am going through, my brother did the same thing at my age and now he is an overly sensitive guy so maybe I'll be nice in a couple years. So I have a big annocement to make I am not going to post threads anymore because no one can handle anything close to negitivity towards symphony x and I get really angry because everybody trys to correct me instead of putting there opinon so I am only going to comment on other people's threads and defend anything LonnieTateForearm's has to say.

HeavyMetalLiker said:
Since your dumbass didnt get it, I will explain it for you. I put that because compared to Rullo and Lepond yes they do suck. And the old keyboardist guy didnt do shit compared to Jonathan Cain
Disagree all you want, but do it with respect for the people here..no insults allowed. Play nice or play elsewhere.™

What the hell even started this thread? Did anyone even mention Journey in a bad way so you had to rush to their aid? You just started randomly ranting about Symphony X and Journey (two pretty much unrelated bands).
And you're calling regulars dumbasses at a forum you just started posting at. Man, you're really getting off on the wrong foot, what with the lying post and making new threads on topics that are already being discussed... chill out a tad.

Plus, I wouldn't say any of the members of Journey sucked unless I could do better. And I can't, and I doubt you can, so lay off of them - they were all pretty damn good.