Michael Romeo vs. Michael Romeo

vfrex

Nov 15, 2003
Yeah, another vs thread. I'd like to see your opinions as to where Romeo is superior. It seems to me that whenever rhythm guitarists are talked about, lone guitarists like Romeo & Petrucci never get mentioned. So:

Romeo the Rhythm Guitarist vs. Romeo the Soloist

Obviously, I am going with the rhythm. It might just be that i've been addicted to cool rhythms recently. I've been listening to Eyes of Medusa nonstop for a week or so now. :worship:

I don't believe he is superior at one over the other, but he is just so awesome that he can do both equally well. I would think that skills at one would make you better in the other, you know? Romeo's riffs tend to stand out to me more. I love riffage, and he rules at it.

i think he's a good riffer, but i prefer loomis in the riff department. also in the solo department for that matter, but that is not to discredit romeo (i know the prog snobs are going to be on my ass for that, but shut the fuck up). as for romeo vs romeo, it totally depends on the song. for songs from the odyssey, riffs rule. for stuff from V, it's about the solos. doesn't fucking matter really. still, loomis = god.

The sounds of Romeo's riffage really drives me. However, the ease at which he does off-the-wall-crazy sweeps, string-skipping, tapping and large ranged runs is just incredible, and sounds even cooler.

Okay, I'm done.

I would have to say I really prefer the riffs to the solos. The riffs and layering of rhythms is really what makes Symphony X sound so unique and powerful. The solos to me feel like added texture in most songs, especially on V, used to support the piece rather than stand alone. Then again there are a few solos such as on Communion and the Oracle or Smoke and Mirrors that really stand out as unique and amazing. Basically, MJR is just an amazing composer because everything works together so cohesivly to add to the quality of each song as a whole.

I like both rhythm and solos. All of work stands out to me. Every song has very unique riffage that gets in my head. That Evolution riff is killer, it's like a solo riff or something lol.

The intro to Smoke and Mirrors is awesome. Pure Romeo for you.