Michael Romeo vs. John Petrucci

Who is your favourite guitarist out of these two?

• Michael Romeo

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • John Petrucci

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters

Kate Bush Rules!

Kali Yuga
May 17, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm sorry if this has been done before, I wouldn't know because I'm not an old schizooler.

Anyway, who is your favourite guitarist out of these two?
This is not a technical battle as we all know that Michael Romeo is superior technically.

My favourite is John Petrucci pretty much because I prefer his sound. He is much more tasteful and his riffs are not formulaic at all.

i think they're equal in the technical stuff...but i have to say petrucci coz he has much more influences in many many music genres, and he mixes them up in an almost perfect way to create unique music, i'm not saying that michael isn't good, he's right behind john, but the thing i admire most in john is that he's never predictable, he always finds the way to fuck with ur head and u love it...but, BOTH RULE SUPREME! :hotjump: :hotjump:

I think both have very differnt sounds and styles of playing, both of which I like very much. Both can totally shred too! :headbang: But I pick Mike, maybe because I think his riffs and melodies stand out to me more. When I think of Pertucci, I just remember his shredding solos. When I think of Romeo I remember a lot of different elements.

The Metal Chick said:
When I think of Pertucci, I just remember his shredding solos.

that happens when u don't pay attention to guitar players...listen to him very carefully...then that picture in your mind about john will be changed... :)

*sigh* I'm sorry I don't please you. Is it a bad thing that Romeo's riffs stand out more to me than Petrucci's? I don't know how to prove to you that I truly believe Petrucci is a great musician. You could just take my word for it ;)

They're my two top guitarists right now, but it's no secret that Romeo is technically superior to Petrucci.

However, I can listen to them both for hours on end. I also love it when Romeo plays some of his more "Petrucci-style" solos ("The Accolade", "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy")...it shows that he can do more than just super-tap and sweep-shred.

I picked Romeo, but they're both incredible.

tough question...

they are both really good...to the point where i can barely comprehend it

i would say Petrucci has the technical edge over michael romeo...

but most of the time i prefer listening to michael romeo more..because of the songs he writes. they just sound better, and bring more interesting things to my imagination.

but whenver i listen to dream theater or LTE i am never thinking.."hmm this isn't good enough i wish MR was playing" or anything...lol!

so i didn't answer the poll

they both ROCK!

by the way i think a lot of MR's best guitar solos aren't even with symphony x...
he really dazzled me on
Ayreon- Dawn of a million souls
and
Rush tribute- analog kid

my jaw was dropped for a long time after i heard those songs!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHAGHGHGGHGHGGHGHHHHHH!!!!!
Not again...............:erk:

I'm srrey to say, it's been done 1000000000000000000's of times. It's not really your fault as you are a newbie but it has. there are no spesific thread called "ROMEO VS. JP" but it happens so much with heaps of threads. Just like SyX vs. DT.

The Metal Chick: I have both LTE albums and I must say that I love these guys, especially bassist Tony Levin(yup, the legendary Tony Levin). Do check out "Paradigm Shift" and "Acid Rain".

on topic: Petrucci is a well-rounded guitarist, but Romeo can go toe-to- toe with him--try listening to the interludes in "The Edge of Forever", for instance. It just happens that more people are familiar with Petrucci than Romeo.

Of course I think that they're both incredible guitarists (and the whole SX vs. DT competition always seems a little silly to me--for me it's not either/or, but is this AND that), but since this is a poll about our FAVORITE of the two, it's easy for me to say Michael Romeo.

I love Petrucci's music, but Michael Romeo's work resonates with me more deeply than almost any other guitarist. The playing of certain guitarists just somehow connects with me at what might even be considered a visceral level. Michael Romeo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker, and Uli Roth are probably the ones whose melodies (and that's what it always comes down to--the melodies) connect with something in me the deepest.

My eyes are starting to glaze over and I'm waxing introspective, so I better leave it at that.o_O

I can't belive I picked John...

I wanted to say it's Mike, but when I think of him, I think "Wow, this guy blow me away with his skills" but John has made so much diverse stuff that I just can't ignore. And he does it damn well too. Not that Mike isn't diverse. Just not as much as Petrucci. Although I preffer SX over DT.

The Metal Chick said:
I heard some LTE on ytseradio today. It just seemed like cool instrumental DT to me. I don't have any of their CD's, but I might get some, because I liked it.
I have both LTE CDs and they're pretty good, but they're not like an instrumental Dream Theater. They're more jamming and indulgent, with a sense of humour.