Romeo or Petrucci?

Originally posted by HallowedOne
Agreed on that. Listen to "Learning to Live", "Scarred" or "Lifting Shadows off a Dream", or even better, the "Goodnight kiss" solo and tell me you don't find any emotion in that. Most of the people who say that have just not heard enough of DT to judge properly. They're IMHO the only band on the same plane as SymX, but it seems it has become the trend lately to bash them as they're becoming quite popular and their latest album was mediocre.

Back to the issue at hand. It's a tight match. I agree with the comment regarding that they can both play anything off each others recordings: that we haven't seen them do certain techniques doesn't mean they can't or that they couldn't nail them down with little practice. Petrucci can sweep very nicely, listen to the "Fatal Tragedy" solo. Listen to some of his improvised solos for some nice tapping too and don't tell me doesn't have a good legato technique. I'm also sure Romeo could play "Erotomania". Both are excellent technical players; about that I don't think anyone can disagree. What I think Petrucci does better is creating variety; Romeo is definitely "the riffmaster", but he does stick too much to the same style for my tastes, while Petrucci has explored more ground throughout the DT discography. I don't think I can say one > other. Hard question to ask.

My 2 cents. Cheers.

People need to stop mentioning the Fatal Tragedy solo's sweep when they talk about how great a sweeper John Petrucci is. He NEVER pulls it off live...... watch the DVD (and I also saw him blow that sweep live on tour with Satriani).

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
People need to stop mentioning the Fatal Tragedy solo's sweep when they talk about how great a sweeper John Petrucci is. He NEVER pulls it off live...... watch the DVD (and I also saw him blow that sweep live on tour with Satriani).

Ok man, he pulled it off live in Toronto I guess you didn't see that post. Also he did the Scarred solo in Toronto sweeps at the end perfectly. Also look at LTE sweeps, they are crazy!!! Look at THEM!!! Look at the fast tapping in Lie!!! Look at it!!! Look at the sweeps in The Glass Prison...Crazy alternate picking on LTE 2 (Another Dimension)..etc....DAH!!!

Originally posted by mark_bwaite
Ok man, he pulled it off live in Toronto I guess you didn't see that post. Also he did the Scarred solo in Toronto sweeps at the end perfectly. Also look at LTE sweeps, they are crazy!!! Look at THEM!!! Look at the fast tapping in Lie!!! Look at it!!! Look at the sweeps in The Glass Prison...Crazy alternate picking on LTE 2 (Another Dimension)..etc....DAH!!!

The tapping in Lie is nothing. Thats just simple EVH stuff. The stuff Romeo does with string skipping and using his right hand finger like its an extension of his left hand as opposed to a nervous hammer just trying to play eruption as fast as they can. And Petrucci's legato is pretty simple Satriani type stuff. Romeo's legato is like Shawn Lane's, way more advanced patterns and lines. And Petrucci has never done any really crazy sweeping. You want crazy sweeping listen to Jason Becker. Id like to see Petrucci play Serrana, HA. Honestly, the only thing JP has going for him is his alternate picking. That, I agree, he is insanely phenominal at. At everything else, he is average. He's great but way overrated. Like I said he couldnt touch half of what Romeo does but I bet Romeo could do everything he does.

Yes, Petrucci is more varied than Romeo. You people have to realize that they are COMPLETELY different kinds of players with completely different aspirations in their playing. You can tell by looking at their influences. JP was influence by Steve Morse, Vai, Lifeson, Dimeola. Aside from Dimeola, none of those guys are in the technical cream of the crop, though they are all very skilled players. Romeo was influenced by Yngwie, Shawn Lane, Holdsworth, Gambale, Becker. All shrapnel caliber guitarists. Romeo is totally geared towards shrapnel shred guys and Petrucci is geared more towards inventive, creative, very technically profficient guitarists. So I wish people would just stop comparing them, its like trying to compare Eric Clapton to Andre Segovia. You can't, they just have two very different ways of playing. But on a pure technical aspect, without regard to how much "feel" or "emotion" you get out of them, Romeo is more profficient than Petrucci.

Romeo is just a good a picker as Petrucci is, plus he's better at legato, tapping, sweeping, and is a way better rythm player to. Thats why Symphony X have cooler riffs then dream theater IMO

Don't get me wrong. Petrucci is a big influence on me when it comes to picking, and he is fantastic at it, but i just like Romeo better because he is :)

I think that they're both great composers without doubt. But they're both playing different kinds of pregressive metal and they are both perfect, each on his teritory :)

you know what.. you guys are morons. and really big ones too.
and this is like.. 20 or 30th time that thread like this one showes up. and every time finishes the same way - unfinished ;). and you know why? cuz music is not sport and you cannot take two perfect musicians and say that first one is better than second one. and even if you could i'm pretty sure that not a single one of you is as half as good as those two (you're comparing) are, so to be honest you are not really competent to talk about that.

Hey I tried to prevent this thread remember!!! And I think I'm at least half as good as both of them. (Don't worry I'm not saying they won't smoke me right now). But I'm improving.

vedr4n !

You're acting like this is some kind of crminal act talking about those 2 guitar players :)
We're not here just to fight, but maybe to learn something more about Romeo and Petrucci.
Yes, it's true, probably none of us will ever be as good as they are, and how you say it, probably Romeo and Petrucci are the only one competent to talk about that !
Sorry, but how you say it, we all probably shouldn't talk about anything at all on this forum... :) :) :) :) :)
Well, to be a god guitar player, also includes a lot of practice, talent, will and a lot of energy as in sport, and in the end, there is always someone who is better than the rest of us ! :)

Originally posted by mark_bwaite
No plz...plz not this again. I posted this exact thread on DT forum and got scalded for it. Every thread has to recur at least once I guess. :eek:

Here's your answer:
-They sound different.
-They play different guitars.
-They have different set-ups.
-They are prog, but have different styles.
-They have different opinions.
-THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! NOW STOP COMPARING THEM!!!
THEY ARE BOTH GREAT!!!!!
Yeah!!

Originally posted by vedr4n
you know what.. you guys are morons. and really big ones too.
and this is like.. 20 or 30th time that thread like this one showes up. and every time finishes the same way - unfinished ;). and you know why? cuz music is not sport and you cannot take two perfect musicians and say that first one is better than second one.
Agreed.

Originally posted by Yngvai X
The tapping in Lie is nothing. Thats just simple EVH stuff. The stuff Romeo does with string skipping and using his right hand finger like its an extension of his left hand as opposed to a nervous hammer just trying to play eruption as fast as they can. And Petrucci's legato is pretty simple Satriani type stuff. Romeo's legato is like Shawn Lane's, way more advanced patterns and lines. And Petrucci has never done any really crazy sweeping. You want crazy sweeping listen to Jason Becker. Id like to see Petrucci play Serrana, HA. Honestly, the only thing JP has going for him is his alternate picking. That, I agree, he is insanely phenominal at. At everything else, he is average. He's great but way overrated. Like I said he couldnt touch half of what Romeo does but I bet Romeo could do everything he does.

Yes, Petrucci is more varied than Romeo. You people have to realize that they are COMPLETELY different kinds of players with completely different aspirations in their playing. You can tell by looking at their influences. JP was influence by Steve Morse, Vai, Lifeson, Dimeola. Aside from Dimeola, none of those guys are in the technical cream of the crop, though they are all very skilled players. Romeo was influenced by Yngwie, Shawn Lane, Holdsworth, Gambale, Becker. All shrapnel caliber guitarists. Romeo is totally geared towards shrapnel shred guys and Petrucci is geared more towards inventive, creative, very technically profficient guitarists. So I wish people would just stop comparing them, its like trying to compare Eric Clapton to Andre Segovia. You can't, they just have two very different ways of playing. But on a pure technical aspect, without regard to how much "feel" or "emotion" you get out of them, Romeo is more profficient than Petrucci.

I was never a huge Vai fan, but I would definately put him in the cream of the crop technically. I don't think there is anything that dude can't do.

WELL you know I think that the shreditude of the player is equally proportionate to the poofitude of the hair so the answer is obviously Vinnie Moore circa 1986
LMAO!!!!!! That's awesome!!!! It's all about poofitude...

:D

Speak for yourself there, buddy, I'm in the process of reaching their level of technical ability.

Do You really think that their technical ability is all they have to offer ?
There are thousands of guitar players who have their technical abilities, but not many are as good composers as Romeo and Petrucci ! :lol: