It's confirmed! Yngwie on G3...

KBR, seriously - about an year ago I was shredding my ass of on the fretboard when I was supposed to play solo. That was because that was the way I felt it. If you have ever played a musical instrument (in which I doubt) you'd KNOW that your ultimate quest as a musician is getting your point across.

And if you want to express anger or internal rising force or something like that you truly CAN play fast without being labeled as a "wanker", because that's the way you FELL it.

I started thinking that you're over here just to insult us. :err:

If you want to get banned, just ask, I'm sure the moderators will aprecciate it! :D

In KBR's defense, I suppose it's all subjective, but I still think that those slower, melancholic solos are more effective in expressing emotion. I know for myself I was really moved when I first heard Gary Moore's live version of Parisienne Walkaways. That's why him, David Gilmour, Steve Rothery etc. are still among my favorite players.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
KBR, get your facts straight. Just because someone plays fast doesn't mean they're "wanking" or "showing off". It's just showing that they choose to execute the idea with skill. Just because you think Yngwie's a wanker doesn't mean he is, take a chill-pill.
John Petrucci is one of my favourite guitarists. He plays fast. But the crucial difference that annoys me about Yngwie but I like about John is that Yngwie shreds all the time and sacrifices songwriting for it, while John shreds when appropriate.

Zax666 said:
KBR, seriously - about an year ago I was shredding my ass of on the fretboard when I was supposed to play solo. That was because that was the way I felt it. If you have ever played a musical instrument (in which I doubt) you'd KNOW that your ultimate quest as a musician is getting your point across.

And if you want to express anger or internal rising force or something like that you truly CAN play fast without being labeled as a "wanker", because that's the way you FEEL it.
I have played the guitar for over four years. I went through the "shred phase" also. Hell, I even bought Rising Force. At that time all I could think about in terms of guitar was increasing my speed.

But a few months down the line i realised that the purpose of music is to express your emotions, not to play random licks at blinding speed just to impress people.

I realise that blinding speed can be used to express feelings like anger or disorientation (hear Dream Theater's "Beyond This Life"), I think Yngwie is just trying to impress people most of the time. Or maybe he's just angry all the time.

To summarise, I don't automatically all players who shred as "wankers". But Yngwie Malmsteen shreds constantly (and pointlessly) and sacrifices songwriting for it. This is why he earns the "wanker" label from me.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
I think Yngwie is just trying to impress people most of the time. Or maybe he's just angry all the time.

To summarise, I don't automatically all players who shred as "wankers". But Yngwie Malmsteen shreds constantly (and pointlessly) and sacrifices songwriting for it. This is why he earns the "wanker" label from me.

I don't think Yngwie is trying to impress anybody. That's not his personality, and he really doesn't need to.

I find Yngwie's "shredding" to very much have a point, and find it extraordinarily melodic and effective. I find it more beautiful than angry, and don't know any cases in which he has sacrificed songwriting for it. Like I mentioned before, I think his songs are great. It's a matter of taste, I suppose, and some people get Yngwie and some people don't. And unfortunately, a lot of people hop on the bash Yngwie wagon for mostly emotional reasons.

And if you think Yngwie shreds "all the time," you really need to actually listen to his catalog. Some of the greatest and most emotional slower playing I have ever heard has been done by Yngwie.

Someone who says Yngwie shreds all the time sounds like he or she has listened to very little of Yngwie's music, and hasn't put forth the intellectual effort to really listen. I'm not saying that that's the case with you, but I'm saying that that's the impression that is given.

And limiting the purpose of music to merely expressing one's emotions eliminates 90% of the range of possibilities with music. Music that is chiefly to express emotion (whether slow or fast) is usually highly self-indulgent and whiney. That's the TRUE wanking.

OK it looks like this Yngwie argument is going nowhere. I've said pretty much everything I have to say on the matter. Maybe I haven't heard enough of Yngwie's songs to formulate a fair opinion.

But I strongly diagree with your statement that emotional music is whiney and self-indulgent. I suggest you check out Björk if you think this.

I'm not saying that emotional music is self-indulgent and whiney. What I said is that "music that is CHIEFLY to express emotion....is usually highly self-indulgent and whiney." There's a huge difference. (Maybe I should also clarify that I mean music that is chiefly to express whatever emotion the performer/composer is feeling at the time, not music that is attempting to paint a picture of a specific emotion.) Great emotional music isn't necessarily about venting one's own emotions.

It's like in baseball, there's a difference between just swinging the bat wildly with all your might because that's how you feel, and a clean, powerful, focused, and beautiful swing. The first is a self-centered expression of emotion that produces nothing but a silly and pathetic figure, but the second produces an emotional connection with elements outside the player that brings fulfillment to both the batter and the spectator. There is emotion involved in both, but the second is about creating something deeper and larger than just personal emotions.

That's why I think that the wankingest wankers of all are those who are constantly going on and on about how their music is an expression of their emotion, their pain, whatever, blah, blah, blah. (See most recent Metallica release, for example.) Emotional abandon gets in the way of the intellectual elements that are required to create great music. Emotion needs to be in there, of course, but it has to be the servant, not the master.

"Launched in 2000 with the express purpose of promoting the underground scene by trying our best to drag it above ground, UM.com has grown to not only be a comprehensive 'zine, covering all corners of the metal 'genre', but also one of the largest metal/music communities online."

Umm...

Uhhh...

Hmmmm...

Polyeidus said:
"Launched in 2000 with the express purpose of promoting the underground scene by trying our best to drag it above ground, UM.com has grown to not only be a comprehensive 'zine, covering all corners of the metal 'genre', but also one of the largest metal/music communities online."

Umm...

Uhhh...

Hmmmm...

Uhhhh, did someone delete the segue?:confused:

Hyoukinmono said:
Uhhhh, did someone delete the segue?:confused:

Umm, I don't think so...?

My last post was in response to a general lack of respect for others opinions and to certain comments I found irrelevent and demeaning to clearly wonderful musicians, enjoyed by hundreds of thousands.

Just irritated me.

Sorry...:erk:

some of the people here seem to jump at conclusions, and not understand a whole lot about music, and art as a whole...

just because you think playing fast is dumb, or that knowing modes is "trying to hard to compose" doesnt mean these things are true...

people here have already confused modes with listening to scales...

when i talked about modes, i meant hearing the modal qualities of certain musical passages... each mode has its own flavor and so on...

playing a dumb lick fast to show off is worthless... to compose and or play a line that has the emotive substance that you want to get across is very much an important skill on guitar... and any other instrument...

actually modes arent really scales, modes are dirived from scales, but thats a technicallity... as long as people understand how modes work, i dont think anything else is to important, besides being able to identify them by ear...

Hahaha, we're back on the mode thing. Oh well, I'll go throug this again - they fascinate the hell out of me.

Also, anyone who says Yngwie sacrifices songwriting needs to listen to "Eclipse" and "Far Beyond the Sun" right now. Both extremely technical, both damn good songs, and very melodic.

I think Yngwie is proof that you can be playing 12 notes per second (for example) and still be playing a melody. That's all I can really say. If you don't like him, it's cool with me - I can see plenty of reasons not to.

Bet23 said:
actually modes arent really scales, modes are dirived from scales, but thats a technicallity... as long as people understand how modes work, i dont think anything else is to important, besides being able to identify them by ear...
Sorry, but you got it bass ackwards dooder. The most popular scales in Western Civilization were "derived" from the ancient modes. The major and minor scales.

Alot of traditional music, i.e. Scottish, is reffered to as modal because it doesn't follow the conventional minor or major scales. Scales that came from ancient modes. But, in the middle ages, the Church adopted the minor and major scales, made them ascending, instead of the Greek descending method and renamed them modes.

The history and reasoning behind it all can get quite cornfusing if you don't have a really sturdy foundation.

Look. What are you playing when you play the Ionian mode? C scale

Phrygian? E scale.

Modes are scales.

i had a big thing written here, but i wont argue your point, i see what youre saying, and i cant seem to put into words why I believe that modes shouldnt be considered THE SAME as scales...

overall, like i had said, its only important to understand how modes function... and how they sound...

where did you study music? Im interested in talking about how you view some ideas in functional harmony...

got MSN r ICQ?