Went to G3 on Saturday...

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather

Great to see Satch and Vai standing next to each other on stage!
It was a good show, the playing was flawless but the sound really made it hard to enjoy as much as I should have enjoyed it. Wa too loud and not alot of seperation in the mix. I have seen both Satch and Vai on seperate occasions before and the sound was WAY better. Shame really but it was still great since it was the first time G3 has been to New Zealand.
I did notice that Satch used Marshalls for his set, no Peavey in sight. All of his Ibanez had single coil pickups in the neck position too. I dont follow him like I used to so I was not aware he was running different gear, oh well.

Any one else seen a G3?

Satch is actually using the Marshalls for 2 years or so at least, he is just getting a signature Marshall head.
First pictures I saw looked like a purple version of the JVM 410 with a Noise Gate.

He talks a bit about his Marshall in this vid. Its fairly old so i don't know how true that is to the current version but interesting none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about lukather?

??? Same here. I saw G3 back in 2001 with Satch, Vai, and Petrucci. I was really interested in this particular incarnation as I would love to see Lukather in a guitar only context - I've seen him with Toto back in 2003, but never as a solo artists live.

Fucking love the Luke, much moreso than Satch; check out from 4:07 to the end in this:

Now that is how you improvise a goddamn guitar solo, so much spontaneous energy and passion in the playing, especially when he really starts letting loose around 4:50

Anyway, hope it was a good show despite the sound!

Last edited by a moderator: