It's confirmed! Yngwie on G3...

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
It should be Vai - Malmsteen - Petrucci. JP is a great player, alot better than Satch. More virtuostic, more of a "shredder". Vai rules! No one can play like him even if they try to immitate him. Not so much of a 'shredder' as such (but can still play some seriously fast shit). But the way he plays is unbelievable. Malmsteen is the 'father' of shred, needs no introduction. I hope he plays Blitzkrige (sp?) and Far beyond the Sun. They're his best songs IMO.
Will they come to Australia? I hope so. I think the popularity between Satch, Vai and Yngwie is enough to fill a decent sise venue.

They gotta do a DVD of it. !!

I agree,they should make a DVD, I have the one with Eric Johnson, Vai and Satriani but, you know, it was fun for the first five listens, but eventually got boring(except for Erics Manhattan and most of Vais stuff).
Now, with Yngwie`s appearence the sceneshow will be a whole different story, plus the fact that he`s more known than say Eric J probably willl make the cd appeal to a larger audience.

the way that you guys imply that "a guy for modes would be vinnie moore r satriani" seems strange, i see what you mean, but i cant think of any guitar players that dont use modes...

at best i could see that maybe you are making a comparision between TONAL and MODAL music, but even then i still dont see exactly the need to phrase things the way you did...

well, i guess im being an ass... i see what was meant :)

the way i see it, i dont belive joe satriani understands modes anymore than other guitar players: yngwie and vai and etc etc...

his music is motly made up of MODAL progressions that involve modes of the major scale, and rarely does he employ other modes from other scales, ive heard maybe the harmonic minor scale and its 5th mode (phrygian dominant) in his music...

i think romeo is even a player who uses more modes than satch, though romeo sticks alot to harmonic minor (and a few of its modes)... he tends to go through many modes when putting together a solo (r song)...

guys like AL dimeola use ALOT more scales (and its derived modes) than these players, even if sometimes AL's music tends to lean towards TONAL harmony and not MODAL harmony...

then you have a guy like ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, whose modal stuff is on an extremely advanced level, and whose compostions will run through many modes (some scales that dont even complete themselves in 1 octave)... he has 10+ scales for every chord...

Sorry to ruffle the feathers of the Satch fans out there. Maybe sucks was too harsh a word. His playing and music just bore me to death though. Saying he taught Vai is a silly argument to try to say he's a good guitarist, considering that they were teenagers at the time still learning Led Zeppelin songs...plus I could also say Satch taught Kirk Hammett :D

for ALLAN, get:

METAL FATIGUE
WARDENCLYFE TOWER
SECRETS
SAND

i love all of these,,,

I wasn't really saying Satch is the master of modes... it's just interesting how he applies them sometimes is all. And yes, I do know about modes.

Man, it would rock to see Romeo on G3... it would get Symphony X some much deserved exposure, that's for sure.

Holdsworth's stuff seemed too misconnected to me, I kept on losing his point.

I listened to "Metal Fatigue" and "Water on the Brain" only, is there a way I see the method behind the madness?

Back to the topic, Vai's a little boring in the studio.
And if Satch's music bores you, well - sorry dudes, it OWNS, open your mind and play "Surfing with the Alien" album in your CDs.

you are right Satriani did teach Kirk Hammett. But, I have a hard time hearing that. You might think his music is boring, but you have to see the talent. I have to be in the mood to listen to him. I borrowed a live video of his show in S.F. I watched about half of it. He is so structured live. I see where people are coming from with their beefs of him. He is not for everyone, let's put it that way.

Is there anyone else hear that thinks Tony MacAlpine is a genius and doesn't get the credit he deserves!! I'm listening to Planet X right noe, it's amazing. He should be on the tour!