It's confirmed! Yngwie on G3...

theodyssey said:
Satriani taught kirk hammett... and look where kirk is now!!! :lol:

by the way, no disrespect to satch... just couldn't help it.
To be fair, Hammet plays some pretty damn fast solos in Metallica's earlier stuff. He was playing at a jazz/blues bar near here with Satriani once, and they played some great stuff. Satch is clearly the superior, but I was surprised by some of the stuff Hammet pulled off. He deserves a little respect, the rest of Metallica doesn't. Burton does, but he's dead.

shredmaster said:
Don`t tell me you really think Satriani is better than Malmsteen?
Satriani's music is way better, IMO. Even in technical skill he wins, with the possible exception of sweep picking. Yngwie's top speed is about 16 notes per second. Satriani has little trouble reaching 19 notes per second. Yngwie just shows of his skill all the time. I prefer Satch because he concentrates on writing good tunes, and he doesn't shred pointlessly.

For those who think an artist is better because he has more skill, i suggest you get into sports. In that case those players who are more skilled are the best ones.

To the point where you think Satriani has the best songs i can`t deny you your own opinion, everyonr has their own taste(Although i prefer Malmsteen`s playing a lot more than his). But there is NO WAY that Satriani is better technically than Yngwie that`s not just an opinion from me, that`s a fact! Malmsteen`s picking hand is far beyond the level of the one of Satriani, he both picks and sweeps MUCH faster while Satriani keeps his focus mainly on the legato side since he hasn`t developed a competent right hand. Joe may be able to hit a few notes on one string sometimes, but when it comes down to fast triplets when shifting strings and such he just can`t in a matter of technical skill.

The Yngster said:
You sure about that?
It was published in Total Guitar magazine and the article was called "the top 10 fastest shredders" or something like that. Anyway, it was complete garbage, they picked only the name players and listed stuff from their earliest albums, without actually explaining the criteria they used in measuring "speed". Pretty pathetic which doesn't suprise me, since that magazine is right up there with Guitar World in terms of accuracy.
Oh yeah, Hammet won the 3rd place. :lol:

Yeah, maybe he could do a 3-note tapping pattern at 16 nps, but it's not that amazing. Aren't you Satch fans always the ones saying speed isn't important? :)

And I do think Yngwie has emotion, even with his shred. Meh, I like both players.

It's true that I don't really think speed is important, but I just felt like pissing some Yngwie fans off. They always act as if Yngwie is the most skilled guitarist of all time just because he's the biggest show-off of all time.

I saw Malmsteen open for Dio a while back and I was not too excited about his live show. Sure, it is Malmsteen, but I was not too into it.

As far as I am concerned, the only Malmsteen album worth owning is Concerto Suite.

You know, I'm very sad to read that such guitarist is good because he uses more modes than that other. hell, a solo is good because it sounds good on the context, not because it uses more modes than other. This songs are composed, so there isn't any need to make the solos in a specific mode. I really take it as a lack of creativity to compose in a mode. If they were improvising, it would be understandable, since you have to think it in the moment, and it's easier to do so.
listen to music guys, not to scales

No one ever said a guitarist was better because they know more modes. Still, you have to give people credit for knowing their stuff. Guys like Satch and Yngwie spent a lot of time learning that stuff - that's WHY their solos sound good in the context of the song.

As I say, to each his own. Someone like Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot) does not spend a lot of time with musical theory, yet he writes killer songs (at least in my opinion). I think it all depends on the player really. Like I said, to each his own. If people want to learn it, great, if they don't, that is just as great. Because someone knows musical theory does not make them anymore of a player than someone does not (at least in my opinion).

Ahh well, it is not worth getting into a big debate over this.

Oakenson said:
As I say, to each his own. Someone like Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot) does not spend a lot of time with musical theory, yet he writes killer songs (at least in my opinion). .

I share your opinion. Thomas isnt a virtuso like Romeo or Malmsteen, but his style is the perfect combination between technique and simplicity. I also think,Thomas should teach many guitarists how to play on the acoustic guitar.