It's confirmed! Yngwie on G3...

Oh my fucking god!! Really, MacAlpine is one of my fav' guitarists! He should get a set too! it should be G4!

Hell, tony is a genius (I'm not afraid to say it) and IMO, should be taking Satch's place. IMO, he's better than Vai and Yngwie put together....in all styles( Jazz, fusion, neo-classicalism, prog, metal...he's done it all)

shredmaster said:
I agree,they should make a DVD, I have the one with Eric Johnson, Vai and Satriani but, you know, it was fun for the first five listens, but eventually got boring(except for Erics Manhattan and most of Vais stuff).
Now, with Yngwie`s appearence the sceneshow will be a whole different story, plus the fact that he`s more known than say Eric J probably willl make the cd appeal to a larger audience.

The G3 DVD is a solid release. I'll pop it in just to hear the EJ set once in awhile. Vai had a really good set but Phillip Bynoe got most of my attention during Vai's set. :cool:

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Oh my fucking god!! Really, MacAlpine is one of my fav' guitarists! He should get a set too! it should be G4!

Hell, tony is a genius (I'm not afraid to say it) and IMO, should be taking Satch's place. IMO, he's better than Vai and Yngwie put together....in all styles( Jazz, fusion, neo-classicalism, prog, metal...he's done it all)

I love Macalpine too. I've been listening to him since 1986.

and I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but according to vai.com, Tony will be playing keys and guitar in Vai's band, at least in Europe!

http://www.vai.com/News/tourdates.html

I just don't think he fits in with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. His music is just so dramatically different from both of them. And you know he's going to ruin every concert by starting shredding contests.

I don't know about you, but I like musical music. I'm not really impressed just because a guy can move his fingers really fast.

It is possible to be moved by a fast solo, but in my experience those solos which are slow enough so you can actually hear the notes and melody are the most effective ones.

From what I've seen and heard from Yngwie, all he seems to care about is showing everyone how skilled he is.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
From what I've seen and heard from Yngwie, all he seems to care about is showing everyone how skilled he is.

How can you second-guess someones guitar playing like that? Did you climb inside Yngwie's head and look take a look at why he plays fast? Perhaps that is how he best chooses to express himself. Yngwie plays with tons of fire and conviction and passion. Maybe not everyone hears that because they just hear fast notes and dismiss it as showing off. You don't have to enjoy his playing, but I think its not right to second guess *why* he plays fast and say "he just cares about showing off".

Okay... I don't see why everyone thinks Yngwie has such an ego. "He's going to start shredding contests." Probably not. He's not an unprofessional youth anymore. He's a mature musician. You guys don't know Yngwie, so don't start about his rumored ego. Also, he respects the other guys a lot, and they respect him.

And if he does start a shredding contest? Symphony X has a key/guitar duel in like every song, so you guys can't be against it that much. Some people here act like they're against shred, yet Romeo shreds in just about every Symphony X song (and it's heavily Yngwie influenced).

They're probably planning it to be a shred-off; it will be AWESOME! Live Vai/Malmsteen guitar duel? I'd die happy.

I still can't wait for the tour.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
It is possible to be moved by a fast solo, but in my experience those solos which are slow enough so you can actually hear the notes and melody are the most effective ones.

First off - I was wondering if MacAlpine was going to be in Vai's band. WOW! That is going to be something to see.

Second - Icarus, Brothers, Marching Out, Sorrow, Like an Angel, Dreaming, Crying, Blue, Majestic Blue, Overture 1383, Vivace(The most breath-taking, emotional moment in song I have ever heard.), Black Star... I could go on forever here. Yngwie's greatness comes from his unpallelled ability in combining slow chilling melodies peppered with "the" vibrato, with jaw-dropping virtuosity. Anyone who thinks it's just about speed has no idea what they are talking about - again NO idea what they're talking about.

IMO Yngwie has two peers. Jimi and Eddie. That's it. He was the last person to turn the entire guitar community on it's collective ear. And I for one am forever greatful he did.:p

KBR, get your facts straight. Just because someone plays fast doesn't mean they're "wanking" or "showing off". It's just showing that they choose to execute the idea with skill. Just because you think Yngwie's a wanker doesn't mean he is, take a chill-pill.

I can hear the notes and the melody in Yngwie's solos, as well as those of
Paul Gilbert, Chris Impelliteri, and other fellows who play really fast.
I thought that anyone who couldn't either wasn't a real metalhead, or was my mom. :D

But seriously, the reason I've been a hardcore Yngwie fan for two decades now is specifically BECAUSE OF the melodies he writes and plays. Sure I get tendonitis just listening to him sometimes, but it's the beautiful, emotional, majestic, powerful, and often very melancholy melodies that I see as his real genius. Whatever it is, a connection was made the first time I heard Yngwie (on the first Alcatrazz album), and the connection has stuck.

And I always figure that some guitarists just aren't talented enough to play both fast and slow AND move people with the melody AND the speed and technique. Playing slowly is often rationalized with this thing about "playing with emotion," but emotion is pretty well over-rated. Everybody has emotion. I want something more.
It's about all emo bands and other whiners have, and it's not pretty!

I love the songs that Yngwie writes, though, most of all. The whole neo-classical/baroque-n-roll thing might not be for everybody, though. It was exactly what I had been looking for ever since I was a little kid, though, so I'm hoping that he keeps it up until we're both dead.