Michael Romeo vs. John Petrucci

Who is your favourite guitarist out of these two?

• Michael Romeo

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • John Petrucci

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
yeah, guitarguru did say "nowadays", but I disagree with the mindless show-off shred solos in ToT. Yes, they are all technically amazing, but the reason why he seems like he went crazy speed shred on so many solos is in response to St. Anger when hetfield said "we're gonna take this album back to a straight classic metal album, no solos." Petrucci was appalled by this statement and wanted to make a point to metallica that solos are a part of classic metal. but alos, listen in to these solos on ToT more, under the mind-boggling speed, you'll find alot of interesting note chioce and counter-point.

@guitarguru, you said that Petrucci's just showing off in his solos on ToT, but you expressed your very positive feelings for it as you ranked it #1 on your albums of 2003, hmmmmmm

i like both. petrucci is more flexibel and so better than romeo. but this is not important. both are great composer and guitar player and they use their good technik for their songs. the song has priority.

petrucci on older albums. is not the speed that i love in his soli, it is the strukture the melody, the harmonies.

I enjoy Michael Romeo's neoclassical style more than John Petrucci's use of "blue notes" and chromatic runs.

Keep in mind that I've not heard as many DT songs as maybe I should before answering this question, but going by what I've heard so far... Mike seems to be the better guitarist.