Michael Romeo vs. John Petrucci

Who is your favourite guitarist out of these two?

• Michael Romeo

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • John Petrucci

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
they are equal, they both play fast,they both play with feel and both write great songs.romeo's are a bit heavier and fantasy based while john's are more laid back and introspective.i think the reason this is always brought up is because these are the two best bands out today

shredmaster said:
PLUS, the JP - MJR thing you said is absolutely correct........only OPPOSITE!
Actually, Michael Romeo's playing is quite formulaic. Most of his riffs are just a manipulation of the Bm melodic minor scale. Every solo involves super fast harmonic minor runs. I would really like you to back up your statement that Michael Romeo is more versatile. It's not true. He plays neo-classical metal. And that's about it.

I specifically said:"MR doesnt do many different types of music....." My point was that even though JP plays music from more genres than MR, they doesnt sound very good,which means that it`s not much of an advantage towards Mr, who is better than JP at everything HE plays.While John Petrucci only plays some of the basic stuff from different kinds of music.

i know im bringing this one back from the dead... BUT, why do people assume technique is everything? people here are saying JP is better because he plays prog? huh, michael arranges most of the material for SUYMX, he also orchestrates most of the material, he comes up with most of the progressions, riffs,

people MIKE = SYMX

JP is awesome, but i just think people need to realize it doesnt all come down to sweep picking and tapping...

Bet maybe it's true mike composes most of the music, but thats like saying, the others dont do shit. i mean cmon maybe he tells them the progression but all of them have to help out

and ur also implying that JP doesnt contribute much to the band's music, i dont know about that though

Have anyone seen Petrucci's Rock discipline? I think that say's it all. He's a complete guitarist. Mike Romeo is too much about tapping and sweep's. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy his playing but he can't compare to Petrucci.

JP does contribute alot, he even produces the albums along with potnoy... i wasnt trying to bag JP... the thing is most people who replied here are to caught up in sweep picking and tapping, and fast and etc etc...

they are both technically amazing, and both have lines that the other doesnt seem to play much... BUT

about romeo, he appears to arrange and orchestrate alot better than JP IMO, he is a total musician, ad people here are missing that point because of sweep arps and tapped licks, those are great... but, Romeo is way more than licks, the music really is MJR, again IMO...

you can replace anyone in the band, and it WOULD chance, but take romeo out and the band is over...

to me that question of who is better: JP or MJR, is a very stupid question.. grow up and realize the fact that at that level of virtuosity, the only thing that seperates the two of them is their style. MJP can play anything JP can play, and vise versa. i just saw JP last night with dream theater and it was amazing and of course his technique was beyond perfect, and the same goes for MJR when was five feet away from him at a symphony x show. personally i prefer MJR over JP, only because of his style, but that is the only reason, JP and MJR are equall in talent, IMO, but i am quite sure of it.

I think they are both exceptional guitarists, but I give the edge to John Petrucci. I think b/c I like his solo's a lot more. And I've also been a DT fan for over 10 years and just got introduced to Symphony X earlier this year so that may have something to do with my decision as well.

MorphineChild205 said:
They're my two top guitarists right now, but it's no secret that Romeo is technically superior to Petrucci.QUOTE]

uh, have you heard anything off of Train of Thought? I think JP might have the technical edge by just a hair over Romeo. But they still both rock my ass off! Dt tour with Symphony X! SOMEDAY! PLEAsE GOD!!!

There's no doubt in my mind that technically Michael Romeo is much better, however I dont see Michael Romeo playing something like the Explorer's Club "Fading Fast" solo and that's why I vote for Petrucci.

Petrucci's technique on the new album is three times as good as ever before, just in case you guys are basing your opinions on previous Dream Theater CDs. He practiced technique a LOT for Train of Thought, and some of the solos are just plain sick...

I think JP and MR are equally good, but specialize in different fields. John is better than Mike at odd time signatures/very proggy stuff, and probably also better at alternate picking. Mike might pick faster than him in terms of linear stuff, but when it comes to picking more awkward passages, Petrucci is the man. Mike is more of an orchestrator/composer, extremely skilled at arranging and harmony, but more in a classical/less proggy vein than Petrucci. He's also a bit better at sweeping, tapping and legato.

To illustrate my point about their styles, could you imagine Romeo writing "Metropolis pt. 1"? Or Petrucci writing "The Odyssey"?

This thread is really cool. Obviously it's been done so many times before but it's interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions without it breaking into flames.

My favorite of the two is Petrucci, but I don't really think one is "better" than the other. I respond more emotionally to Petrucci - his playing, especially his solos, really move me.

Plain and simple, Mike is original and plays very technical (Key word of the day comming up) "MELODIC" stuff. Nowadyas Trucchi just wants to amaze you with him boring stolen steve morse licks, and hin 1/2 ass jason becker arpeggio attempts...

Both of these guitarists are in my top ten. Technically they are both so advanced that I will never touch them. Stylewise, their styles vary quite a bit. Michael has a stronger affinity for classical elements, which in my opinion there is nobody else who touches him in this department. Petrucci, uses more jazz and blues elements which give him a lot of attitude when playing. I will just enjoy both players' styles and just say that they are in the upper eschelon of guitarists.

Favorite Romeo solo: Into the Dragon's Den - I just think that his approach is cool. Sure he's done faster solos, but this is is number one in coolness for me.

Favorite Petrucci solo: Under a Glass Moon - This one has attitude, and incorporates almost every advanced technique in one solo.

guitarguru777 said:
Plain and simple, Mike is original and plays very technical (Key word of the day comming up) "MELODIC" stuff. Nowadyas Trucchi just wants to amaze you with him boring stolen steve morse licks, and hin 1/2 ass jason becker arpeggio attempts...

The fact that you don't even know how to spell PetruCCi makes me doubt your judgment in this matter. He is no more a Steve Morse ripoff than Mike is an Yngwie clone (which he isn't, although the influence is there). Check out Voices, Under a Glass Moon, The Glass Prison and Fatal Tragedy, and then say what you just said... :err:

@guitarguru777: Sorry mate, I take that back. Just read your reply in the other " 'trucci" thread, and I guess you'd know a thing or two about him after all :D

I still stand by my JP: Steve Morse / MJR: Yngwie Malmsteen analogy though. There's more to both of them (JP & MJR) than just their heroes, and I think they both have highly original styles.

Peace.