For Musicians

1. Comparing Petrucci and Romeo is like apples and oranges.
2. Satch is a great player too with no doubt but he doesn't tap or sweep like insane.
3. Tehnique is all about expressing youself. If you choose to play fast or slower it doesn't degrade your rate of "musicianship".

Not all grow up!

p.s. I don't think a 17 old shreeder should inform you about this one. I think you should have realized it so far.

I like Dream Theater myself but not too much, really, while Symphony X are in my top 3 of fav bands. Having said that, I must admit that Dream Theater are probably the more technical band (though not by much). Not only is their playing insane at times, but they do it with absolute perfection, while SX are generally a bit rougher and don't use so many 'exotic' outside influences like the jazz/fusion stuff or the more 'progressive' progressive music that DT seem to be so fond of. Having said *that* I must say I greatly prefer SX, not only for the much more interesting lyrical themes, IMO, but also because as others have said they're not being progressive or technical for the sake of being progressive or technical. That's a feeling that does sneak up on me when I listen to Dream Theater.

SymX seems to be much more straightforward and in-your-face than DT. Though that's just why I like them. :D

I can't honestly say which band is better when it comes to just technique, since a band is more than just a sum of its parts. If I want to hear virtuoso playing just for the sake of it, I listen to Vai or Bozzio. :p

I think SX is more subtely complex, where they first worry about the song and then the technique involved...where as DT plays a more "HEY LOOK AT US, WE CAN PLAY IN ODD TIME!" kind of style.

and I think DT's song writing has really benn shitty since 1997, where as SX gets better and better IMO.

How many solos on SFAM are far, far too long?

I'd probably count around 12 of them.

I love Romeo because he shreds everyone but he never feels the need to solo for 8 minutes straight like some fat swedes.

.I think this question is kind of hard to truly answer accurately. Obviously because I don't think any of us know either guitar player personally, and we can only judge by the material they have put out. But, if you asked me for my opinion, I love Symphony X far more than Dream Theater, and even Liquid Tension Experiment... I think Symphony X is much more technical than Dream Theater, but certainly not LTE, even though they both have similarities.
But as far as a better guitar player between Romeo and Petrucci... I truly can't say.

I don't think Romeo is better than Petrucci, i mean, sure he can shred scales alot faster and cleaner...
But to me, Dream Theater provides much more feeling, and skills...
But that's just me though... (a die hard prog fan)

:hotjump: :hotjump:

'Shuggah said:
If I want to hear virtuoso playing just for the sake of it, I listen to Vai or Bozzio. :p

WRONGWRONGWRONG!!!
The only people who think Vai plays just for the sake of being a virtuoso have NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!
listened to an entire album of his...
A few good examples, listen to one of these:
Sex & Religion (Townsend really sings so brutal on this one that it doesn't rally fit into Steve's style but... worth cheqing out)
Fire Garden (really soulful stuff believe me)
The Ultra Zone (nice with a little ethnic influence, but just enough to keep it cool)

Zax666 said:
WRONGWRONGWRONG!!!
The only people who think Vai plays just for the sake of being a virtuoso have NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!
listened to an entire album of his...

Okay, I may have trolled a bit in that last post. I've listened to Sex & Religion quite a lot, and yes, it's not just playing for the sake of playing. On the other hand, Vai has some tracks with certain self-ironic sublevels, such as Juice on Alien Love Secrets, ("Shut up, we know you can play!" :D ) that may have lead to me developing an image of Vai as "The technically unrivaled player that plays just for technique". I think it's time to revisit my Vai records with a little more thought. :)

Well, I like DT pretty good, But I LOVE SymX!!
Its not the "who's better", Its all on how they make you feel, right?
Too many times I see Symx, being compared to DT, and they are totally diff. "IMO".. So "why" do we have to keep comparing them?? Symx has their own sound, I don't believe either band is trying to be like the other. So its kinda wrong to compare them.. Its just taste, of what you like better.
Thats just the way I see it..:)

SYMPHONY X RULES!!
headbob.gif

underullospell said:
Well, I like DT pretty good, But I LOVE SymX!!
Its not the "who's better", Its all on how they make you feel, right?
Too many times I see Symx, being compared to DT, and they are totally diff. "IMO".. So "why" do we have to keep comparing them?? Symx has their own sound, I don't believe either band is trying to be like the other. So its kinda wrong to compare them.. Its just taste, of what you like better.
Thats just the way I see it..:)

You're absolutely right, I agree 100%.
Two different music styles
Two different bands

You can't, nor should compare them. :)