Symphony X > Dream Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
arglebargle said:
The new album is pointlessly weird.

I like the first album, but they're trying too hard to be OMG EXPERIMENTAL on the new disc.

I do admit that the new album could use about 15 minutes of editing (out of a total 76). Mostly I could do without some of the meaningless ambiant parts that close and open a few songs. But overall, I think this is a brilliant release. It took me a few listens... unlike the first album... it's definately less accessible and more progressive. I'm a big fan of the inclusion of horns and saxophone.

...Why can't everyone just realize that both bands are made up of better musicians and songwriters than anyone here, so we really have no business ripping on either of them. With all the time we spend bitching here, we could be out listening to music (or doing anything else productive... no wait, just music).

And do you really think the guys in SX or DT really give half a shit? I'd just love to see someone go up to Petrucci and say, "Hey! Symphony X is better at ____ than your band!" He would probably reply, "So what?" Honestly, they both have completely different styles that they're both very good at.

New rule: Every time you rip on an extremely talented musician, you have to spend three hours practicing so you can someday justify your whiny little criticisms.

Victory is mine said:
I've noticed that a fair few people on this forum appear to think that Dream Theater are even in the same league as Symphony X, let alone (God forbid) better! I think that Dream Theater are in fact very talented musicians, it's just that everything they can do, someone from Symphony X can do better...

Petrucci's a good guitarist but i can't help feeling that they've gone downhill slightly in Train of Thought from the days of Scenes from a Memory and 6 Degrees. It's just unecessarily heavy and all the songs are very similar and a chore to listen to. Plus their name's spelt the wrong way.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.. I hardly listen to Dream Theater anymore, but I liked them before Symphony X, It just makes no sense to listen to Dream Theater, when as you say, "it's just that everything they can do, someone from Symphony X can do better..."

Yeah, I can totally see Symphony X pulling off Lines in the Sand or Trial of Tears. The emotional level that Dream Theater reached with those songs (especially Petrucci's solos) could easily be topped by some incessant double bass drumming and guitar arpeggios. Symphony X have a complete monopoly on good music.

What a tool...

OR some funky Tool-like lyrics I've been working on:

Lock this thread
Lock this Thread
watccchhhhh itttt
Lock this Thread
Lock this Thread
watccchhhhh itttt
Lock this Thread
Lock this Thread
watccchhhhh itttt
watccchhhhh itttt(x10)
Lock the thread

Liquid Shadow said:
Yeah, I can totally see Symphony X pulling off Lines in the Sand or Trial of Tears.

Now in ALL seriousness, I'd love to hear what Symphony X would do with "Under a Glass Moon". The style is perfectly suited for them, and I'd really enjoy hearing the original embellishments they'd put on it. I was actually thinking about that recently when I was listening to Images and Words.

Yeah, that would be interesting to hear. A Fortune in Lies would be another cool song to hear SX play, as would a lot of the WDADU material. Afterlife comes to mind too...

Given the direction that this thread is going, it better be locked pronto. I love both of these bands, and threads like these, while entertaining to some (yeah, for a grand total of three seconds), totally is a waste of cyberspace(excuse the pun) for others, including myself.

I absolutely don't get why people like comparing apples to oranges.
Totally Neanderthal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.