Symphony X and Dream Theater

The Stormbringer said:
Their singer (Andy Kuntz) is actually being heralded as the German Dokken.
That's what I noticed. The song (can't remember the name of it) had that Back For The Attack-era Dokken vibe, especially in the vocals and riffs department. Which albums would you recommend me to get?

The comparisons also come from Symphony X "borrowing" so to speak, certain musical ideas from Dream Theater on numerous occasions.

Theres always the inevitable comparison in The Death of Balance to The Mirror...exact same riff and feel. The rhythm is the same.

One that I discovered recently is that the opening keyboard line of Looking Glass is basically identical to the opening keyboard line of Surrounded. Same key and everything.

ELPsteel said:
The comparisons also come from Symphony X "borrowing" so to speak, certain musical ideas from Dream Theater on numerous occasions.

Theres always the inevitable comparison in The Death of Balance to The Mirror...exact same riff and feel. The rhythm is the same.

One that I discovered recently is that the opening keyboard line of Looking Glass is basically identical to the opening keyboard line of Surrounded. Same key and everything.

TDoB is only similar to The Mirror in that they both use metric modulation. The riff is different. Different key, and the rhythm shifts when the meter modulates. Dream Theater didn't invent metric modulation, this is a common composition technique.

Through the Looking Glass, although shares the same 4 notes, its also a slightly different pattern thats in 5/4 (surrounded is in 4/4).

AFAIK, the only member of SyX who's a big Dream Theater fan is Jason Rullo. Romeo composes the bulk of SyX's stuff, and I think its pretty documented how "old school' (Rainbow, Sabbath, Priest, Rush, Kansas, Yngwie etc) his influences are. Any similarity between SyX's stuff and DT's stuff is just cause they share many influences.

Is there a power metal fan (I'm talking Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray and early Helloween here) in SymX? From the first song I heard (Evo) I can't escape that feeling...

I remember the first time I was told about Symphony X. I was talking to a friend of mine and he's like, 'You like Symphony X?' I said that I didn't know who they were. He was suprised because I listened to DT and didn't know who Symph X was. I have been listening to DT pretty much since Images and Words came out and I didn't hear about Symph X until late last year...........I don't really find any similarities.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Why do people contantly compare Symphony X and Dream Theater? They sound nothing alike.

I think it's just because any prog fan knows DT and not everyone knows SyX. So if I wanted to describe to someone what SyX sounds like, I'd say it's kninda like DT, but while DT is more like prog rock with metal edge, SyX is more like prog/symphonic power metal.

I agree though that DT and SyX don't sound alike and the only similarity is the similar lineup (unlike, say, Opeth).

-GK

Romeo and Petrucci and beyond what we would defind as "World Class" Players. Anyone here would love to have an ounce of their talent in their fingers to even come close to playing the way they do. Romeo seems to play as if he was just messing around, without a care in the world, no effort what so ever. John is the same way. These guys without a doubt are the standards of which all future players will be measured. Yet these two guys are not given their due in this world full of inebit hearing critics. I live in So Cal, u would think that we would be so open to such diversed music, we our so far from reality that it kills me that such bands that come to town do NOT have the slightest bit skill if it was for their gain know cranked to 11 to hide their inability. To see and here Allan Holdsworth talk about JP at the Universal show this past month, talk about how he has heard him play but never got the chance to see him playh live was all I needed to hear from this guitar GOD !!! Now the question remains, will these bands ever get the chance to do a tour together? God willing, in my life time, I WILL ge to see this AWESOME event !!!!!

Hmmmm....Symphony X and Dream Theater at the same show....now, there may not be any bad feelings between the bands, but I know there are some hard feelings between die-hard DT fans and die-hard SymX fans. I personally don't think putting the two bands on the same bill is a good idea, not only because of fan friction but because they really don't go together musically. Isn't that what this thread is all about? I think a while back there was some discussion about how people at the DT board or some place like that where bashing us over here...eh, whatever. I love both bands, but not at the same show.

All of the above =IMO