Symphony X > Dream Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metropolis Part 2 said:
I think Dream Theater is miles better than Symphony X, you know why?

...in my book...

And I like Dream Theater's style better, so yea..
see above emphasis for the most important part of your pretentious post.

edit: Oh, and please do enlighten us all with those 10 bands that are better than SX. if they're that good i'd sure like to hear them.

Would it ever be possible to go into a music forum without having these pointless X v. Y polls? <searches for small animal to sacrafice to the forum gods>

I love music, plain and simple. Both bands provide something unique for me.

My point-by-point comparison:

Vocals: I love both singers. LaBrie was getting pretty weak live for awhile, but now he's as good as ever. I saw them a year ago and he was slightly off on one note during A Change of Seasons...completely flawless for the rest of the 3 hour show. Insidious Tangerine, I have no idea what you're talking about with him not being any good live, unless by "now" you meant 4 or 5 years ago. But yeah...I like LaBrie, although he does tend to strain himself just a little too much every now and then. I think he really shines in his middle range, where he sound comfortable, and his voice is amazing on slower songs. Russ is a great singer too, but I have yet to see him live. He seems much stronger with his upper range than LaBrie, and can also do more with his voice (rough metal vocals, soaring operatic stuff, quiet emotional singing, ect). Both singers are great to my ears, and they are both an integral part of their respective band's sound. Neither group would be nearly as good without the vocalist that they each have.

Tie.

Guitar: Romeo has the technical edge here, but Petrucci has versatility going for him. Victory is Mine...versatility =/= lots of weird techniques. Versatility is being able to play a variety of different styles convincingly and be an interesting player through it all. Petrucci has much more versatility than Romeo, who tends to stick to neoclassical stuff almost exclusively.

+1 for Dream Theater

Bass: Myung is great, but he seems to be somewhat limited in DT. I have his instructional video, where he does a fantastic bass solo at the end, and I really think that DT could benefit from giving him a little bit more room to work. I've also heard that he does a lot more in the Jelly Jam stuff, but I haven't heard any of it. But when he does get a chance to shine in DT, he really does shine. The SX guys get more of the spotlight though, and their basslines seem to play a bigger role in the music.

+1 for Symphony X

Drums: Portnoy's only weakness is his lack of dynamics in his playing...something which Rullo is also guilty of. I find Portnoy's drumming to be much more interesting than Rullo's, and he can lay down one hell of a groove when he wants to...6:00 for example. Both are very talented, but Portnoy appeals to me much much more.

+ 1 for Dream Theater

Keyboards: All the DT guys as well as Pinella are ranked in my top 5 keyboardists (along with Jens Johansson), and I really can't pick favorites here. They have all contributed great things to the bands that they are or have been a part of.

Tie.

Songwriting: Dream Theater have a wider variety of material to choose from, and they seem much more unpredictable to me. Symphony X have great songs, but after long periods of listening to them, the songwriting can start to sound very monotonous. DT are one of the very few groups that I can listen to for what seems like forever and not get tired or bored of their music. I do have to say that SX's orchestral stuff is fjooking awesome.

+1 for Dream Theater

Lyrics: Dream Theater wins. If you require an explanation for this, then you have my condolences.

+1 for Dream Theater

So DT wins for me, although I love both bands, and they are both among my absolute favorites. It's pretty clear that some of you are heavily biased towards one side or the other, which is a shame...I think that both groups have great things to offer.

on a logarithmic scale of 1 to 10,000 given dream theater's coolness equation of x²y+zx²-(4xc2z)&#8319;, and SX's equation of k(e&#8730;xy²z)&#8804;J,

i can conclude with certainty:

that i don't really give a fuck :tickled:
seriously. i agree with weenur. a lot of you guys are getting your panties all twisted up comparing bands like they're two armies and you want to predict the outcome.

Ok Here we go with 10 bands:

Fates Warning
Savatage
Watchtower/Spastic Ink
Queensryche
Pain Of Salvation
The Flower Kings
Angra
Vanden Plas/Abydos
Spock's Beard/Neal Morse
Threshold

But I definitely love Symphony X though :D

This argument is, and will always be beaten to death...

each band has pros and cons to them...

and each band also has a select few super pretentious ultra closed minded fans that seem to think that their oppinions are law.

frankly I don't really care, because the concept of someone being better than someone else is really just so obviously subjective to begin with.

although one of my friends said something awesome yesterday:

"DREAM THEATER!? THAT'S NOT MUSIC!....IT'S SPORTS!"

ShokaiShimizu said:
This argument is, and will always be beaten to death...

each band has pros and cons to them...

and each band also has a select few super pretentious ultra closed minded fans that seem to think that their oppinions are law.

frankly I don't really care, because the concept of someone being better than someone else is really just so obviously subjective to begin with.

although one of my friends said something awesome yesterday:

"DREAM THEATER!? THAT'S NOT MUSIC!....IT'S SPORTS!"

I know what you are talking about hahahaha. Some Tool fan said that about my favorite band and me and my friend laughed at him for the whole day in class. Yea... I'm sorry I can't help it, Dream Theater is just better under my books.

Dream Theater used to be an amazing band but all their magic died when Jordan Rudess arrived. Rudess is a veteran sesion musician that will never write a song like "Space Dye Vest".

I agree that in terms of technique Rudess is a great player (I love the way he plays the piano) and he also has developed new stuff in the keyboard world, but he doesnt understand that playing 10 notes per second is not everything . I even prefer Derek Sherinian than Rudess...

It is hard to say this: (and maybe hard to accept) Kevin Moore :worship: was the mastermind behind Dream Theater.
Since Metropolis Part 2 the guys have been focusig in pyrotchnics and in making fast solos. The lack of counterpint with Rudess is remarkable (Listen to The Accolade and listen to Strange Deja Vu and see what i mean)

SymphonyX vs DT: If you want to compare each musican,i think we have two clear winners:

Romeo is much better than Petrucci (as a composer and as a guitarist) and Allen is the best singer in prog metal :worship: .

ProgMetalFan said:
The Mars Volta is amazing. One of the freshest sounds to emerge in recent years. The new album is a monster. The Mars Volta > Dream Theater

The new album is pointlessly weird.

I like the first album, but they're trying too hard to be OMG EXPERIMENTAL on the new disc.

I was hoping that this subject would not come up but heres what I think:

Dream Theater has a more diverse style while SX has the same style mostly all throughout. however SX is excelent at being consistant while DT somtimes fails at experimentation.

like I said I did not wish to compare the 2 but those are my thoughts

*yawn*

gee, what an original thread..

c'mon, someone flame someone else so I can close this stupid thing already.

I hate Dream Theater, therefore Symphony X is objectively the better band.

Right? Fellas? Am I right...?

...fellas?

:lol: a more productive topic would be to compare how many different words can be made from rearranging "dream theater" vs "symphony x". clearly that will show who is better, and thus give an answer to "what is the meaning of life?"

Status
Not open for further replies.