Symphony X and Dream Theater

While both Petrucci and Romeo are shredding maniacs, Petrucci usualy plays slower, yet effective solos. Romeo though usualy plays at blinding speed in his solos. His sound/tone is also different 'cause of the heavier music he plays.

Also, Petrucci chops on a standard tuned 7 string.
Romeo wields a 6 stringer tuned down one whole step.

Petrucci uses some techniques such as tremolo picking more than Romeo.
Romeo finger taps much more than petrucci.

Because they both are progressive, and from what I've seen, they are the most popular in their respected different genre's.

No, after listening to them for a while, they don't sound similar, but those who are new to the scene, often name them as the first progressive metal bands they ever heard, as in my case.

I've wondered this very same thing myself.

My guess is that Symphony X and Dream Theater tend to be the first bands that new fans find in the progressive metal genre, so even though they don't really sound similar, the newbie fan has nothing else to compare them to.

My guess is that they're at the top of the prog genre (even though I wouldn't put SymX in the prog genre)... No one comes close to SymX except DT, and no one comes close to DT except SymX. Basically, because they both kick a whole lot of ass.

And Romeo and Petrucci are VERY different guitarist. Petrucci is more into defined, alt-picked lines, but Romeo uses more legato. Petrucci uses scales more, Romeo uses arpeggios. They're really different, but both really good. I'd love to see them jam.

Manga-San said:
The Mirror sounds a lot like a Symphony X style song...

Songwise, that's about it...
I used to think so but as I became more familiar with SyX i realised that it didn't. The opening guitar riff is heavier than usual for Dream Theater, but the connection pretty much ends there.

It's the unwritten rule that every progressive metal band must be compared with Dream Theater, the be all end all of the genre for those without much exposure to it...this dubious custom was mocked at length in the legendary "101 rules" thread.

i dont think they sound the same either and really comparing is pointless because theres no competition there. theres room enough to enjoy both of them for their individuality

I'm not saying I'd compare them to see which one is better. It's interesting how they can be so similar in some ways, but be opposites in others. For example, Romeo and Petrucci are like OPPOSITES, but they're both on an equal skill level. I find that awesome.

The Metal Chick said:
There are a couple times when Romeo sounds a bit like Petrucci in some of his leads, but not really often.

Part of his solo in "Whispers" reminds me of John Petrucci. Other than that, I don't see any similarity between the two, either (except for the fact that they're both awesome guitarists).

I agree with Demonspell on the fact that all prog bands are compared to Dream Theater. They're the big daddy of the prog metal genre, and Images & Words is the benchmark album (I love that 101 rules list).

I prefer Symphony X, mainly because they don't always overplay (see ALL of DT), their keyboard solo patches don't sound like shit (see Rudess), and their bassist plays BASS and doesn't always double the lead guitar line (see Myung).

WEll, there has been 4328101348 threads comeparing the two, but not many saying how stupid it is to do so. It is simply because they are the two most popular in the genre. SyX is now one of the more influential and popular prog bands around and DT is (by far) the most popular prog band out there. So it's logical that they are compared.

And EVERY, i mean EVERY prog band in the world is compared to DT, so beleive it or not, SyX doesn't get as much DT comparisons as some bands do!

MorphineChild205 said:
Part of his solo in "Whispers" reminds me of John Petrucci. Other than that, I don't see any similarity between the two, either (except for the fact that they're both awesome guitarists).

One of the leads in "The Odyssey" really reminds me of Petrucci. I think it's a great lead. But I really think Romeo has his own style of playing, which I prefer.

1. Morphine Child, chill with your DT bashing
2. With the whole Symph X, DT thing, doesnt there exist some sort of beef between the two bands? If there isn't, they should undoubtedly play a tour together, oh man, I could die after seeing that show.

joeshabadoo said:
1. Morphine Child, chill with your DT bashing
2. With the whole Symph X, DT thing, doesnt there exist some sort of beef between the two bands? If there isn't, they should undoubtedly play a tour together, oh man, I could die after seeing that show.

1. I'm not 'bashing" DT...I own all their albums and I like them quite a bit. There's just some things about them that get on my nerves from time to time.

2. Not that I know of. In that one interview with Lepond, he said he'd love to tour with DT, since they're always touring with metal bands and not progressive ones. Maybe a tour will be in the works in the future.