Symphony X > Dream Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luis said:
I agree that in terms of technique Rudess is a great player (I love the way he plays the piano) and he also has developed new stuff in the keyboard world, but he doesnt understand that playing 10 notes per second is not everything .

:err:

I can assure you that he's perfectly aware that speed is not everything. On Train of Thought, Petrucci wrote those rediculous unisons in This Dying Soul and In the Name of God. Rudess thought they were pointless and never bothered to memorize them...he had the music in front of him while he recorded. Rudess knows that speed =/= quality.

Oh the things you learn when you are in contact with people who know him...

I think that songs like Vacant and The Spirit Carries On also display that he can slow down just fine when he wants to.

Ok I'm starting to regret posting this thread, since it seems to be a common topic for this forum. Nice to see some rational and mature discussion though...

argle bargle said:
- Topics like this are fucking stupid.

Insidious Tangerine said:
- Everyone who's replied to this thread is a fool.

god I can't believe how much I rule. But still not as much as Dream Theater.

I guess taking this further would be flogging a dead horse. Case closed?

karelrulez said:
I'd like to see a 'The Mars Volta vs. Dream Theater' poll over at the DT boards. My god they're obsessed with that band over there.

I know, you know who else they're obsessed with? Natalie Portman. I mean come on. shes hot but shes not that hot, i can think of tons of chicks that are hotter than she is.

Liquid Shadow said:
:err:

I can assure you that he's perfectly aware that speed is not everything. On Train of Thought, Petrucci wrote those rediculous unisons in This Dying Soul and In the Name of God. Rudess thought they were pointless and never bothered to memorize them...he had the music in front of him while he recorded. Rudess knows that speed =/= quality.

Oh the things you learn when you are in contact with people who know him...

I think that songs like Vacant and The Spirit Carries On also display that he can slow down just fine when he wants to.
they also say that if they let him, jordan would compose twenty part string arrangements for their songs, so I don't really think it's a problem of composition, or him wanting the sound to be heavy.
I also think of DT as being progressive rock, and therefore hard to compare to a band of a different genre, but if you disagree with me, that's great because I'm not going to respond to you.

Vocals: Both singers are great. Both times ive seen DT live Labrie was spot on all night, however i have heard live recordings where he does lose it a bit. Ive seen SX once and russel was also spot on. Personally i prefer Labrie by a longshot, but Russel does have a lot mroe charisma i give him that much.

Drums: Portnoy and Rullo are both great drummers. Rullo however might be ahead of him in terms of chops. When it comes down to it though i enjoy listening to Portnoy more and i think if i had to choose which one I would like ot play in a band with, i owuld have to go with Portnoy.

bass: Myung seems much mroe solid to me. Sure Lepond and Miller show off their chops more, but i would stack myung against either of them any day.

Keys: KEvin moore was a great player and an even better songwriter. Sherinian is obviousley a great player (moreso on his solo projects than with DT) but made no real contributions to DT. Rudess is the best of both worlds. Personally, i love what he has done for DT and he is an amazing player/musician. Pinella does nothing for me. Not that his solos are bad, but i dont find them particularly impressive. They are neutral to me, and i wouldnt be terribly upset if i didnt hear his solos when i listened to SX. Great player and all, just not my thing.

Guitar: Romeo is a great technician no doubt, writes some of the coolest riffs in metal, and definately writes some killer solos. It seems to me though that he is limited mostly to neoclassical shred and metal. This could very well not be the case, but he hasnt shown is much else. Petrucci on the other hand is very diverse in his playing style. In terms of technique they both get the job done and then some. Nothing leads me to believe that one is better than the other. I think Petrucci has more of a groove and feel to his solos whereas Romeo's are more calculated i guess you could say. They are both among my greatest influences and im not gonna play favorites here. however i do give bonus point to MJR for being a really nice guy (had the pleasure of meeting him once)

Luis:

Dream Theater used to be an amazing band but all their magic died when Jordan Rudess arrived. Rudess is a veteran sesion musician that will never write a song like "Space Dye Vest".

Yeah, no kidding. "Space Dye Vest" really pulls at the heartstrings...and I love those audio clips he picked out for it, too.

Metropolis:

Allen is also one of the most gruffiest singers in Prog Metal

He can be...but he can also turn that aspect off completely, too. ;)

Jax:

c'mon, someone flame someone else so I can close this stupid thing already.

Sorry, I can't help you there. ;)

Jax said:
c'mon, someone flame someone else so I can close this stupid thing already.

k.

Lets see...Meedleyx10 you suck, MC Pee pants you suck, wayne you suck, Beelzebub you suck, arglebargle you suck balls, Luis you suck, Shokai Shimizu you're cool, Metropolis Pt 2 you suck balls, Rose Immortal you suck

is that good enough Jax? :lol:

Yngvai X said:
k.

Lets see...Meedleyx10 you suck, MC Pee pants you suck, wayne you suck, Beelzebub you suck, arglebargle you suck balls, Luis you suck, Shokai Shimizu you're cool, Metropolis Pt 2 you suck balls, Rose Immortal you suck

is that good enough Jax? :lol:

YAY! i don't suck. :Smokedev:

I thought you guys might like this. It was from the "new dt album cover" thread on dt boards..

(I hope it is not totally inappropriate)

6inches.jpg

All it boils down to is Symphony X is getting better with every consecutive album they put out. Dream Theater are going in the opposite direction, having already peaked ..... they could both prove me wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.