Michael Romeo vs. John Petrucci

Who is your favourite guitarist out of these two?

• Michael Romeo

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • John Petrucci

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
i disagree big time!
LTE II is the one with a lot more improvising...songs like chewbacca make it obvious
even from reading the liner notes they mention how much more improvising goes on with LTE II...on the first disc its just 3 minute warning and a couple of fillers...but there is straight up jam on a lot of the tracks of "the blue disc"

As for LTE you have to keep in mind that I've only heard one song, and without even knowing who it was, I immediately thought, "this totally sounds like DT." I'm sure that if I heard more, I would understand.

Anyway, I listened to Awake today, and I had forgotten how much I liked that album. I listened to Petrucci very carefully, and I gotta tell ya, his riffs just did not stand out. Yes, they were really awesome (Erotomania totally kills) but on most of the songs I really had to listen hard to even tell what he was doing. But his solos were beautifully clear. I think maybe Romeo's riffs stand out more to me because SymX is heavier than DT. I don't want to start an argument of that now, but that's my impression after today's listen. I think tomorrw I'll listen to Falling Into Infinity.

Overall, it´s got to be Petrucci, because I can hardly imagine Romeo playing Reggae-stuff like Petrucci did in the live version of "Learning to live". Besides, J.P. is more versatile, I think. However, Romeo´s style appeals more to me.

The Metal Chick said:
I think tomorrw I'll listen to Falling Into Infinity.

if you like heavier stuff i recommend you to listen to Dt's first album: "When Dream and Day Unite", that album is awesome and it has one of the best DT's riffs...speccially in Ytse jam...gotta listen to it!

Yngvai X said:
I think CC Deville is better than both John and Mike at wearing makeup, but Homer Simpson is DEFINATELY better than all 3 at eating donuts. So in the end, I think I vote for Dani Filth.

lol.gif

I vote Petrucci.

Yngvai X said:
I think CC Deville is better than both John and Mike at wearing makeup, but Homer Simpson is DEFINATELY better than all 3 at eating donuts. So in the end, I think I vote for Dani Filth.
:lol: This is the kind of stuff everyone should post everytime this thread comes up. :D

Avathar said:
if you like heavier stuff i recommend you to listen to Dt's first album: "When Dream and Day Unite", that album is awesome and it has one of the best DT's riffs...speccially in Ytse jam...gotta listen to it!

But Dream and Day Unite is so primitive sounding, like it doesn't even sound like the same band if you compare to their later stuff. Of course there are great songs on it. I think Awake is more heavy than that, maybe just because of the sound difference...who knows.. :loco:

For me it was a simple choice, Michael Romeo is far better than John Petrucci technically, i can definitely see MR doing JP`s stuff, but NOT opposite!
Plus, speaking of diversity, JP may DO a lot of different stuff, but it`s more of the basic stuff (the things you learn at once) from the different kind of genres. Plus, listen to Silent man on the live from New York DVD when he does that "country" stuff! Surely everybody can hear how bad it sounds, the first bend isn`t right at all!I think this proves that his versatility is highly overrated, i`m not saying he`s not good, but his versatility is not his biggest strength IMO, his strength lies in his technique, and also there MR is his superior. MR doesn`t do many different types of music, but in his solos there are for example many bluesy licks that sound great!
Anyway, if you guys really want to hear versatility you should check out the norwegian guitarist Mads Eriksen, he plays extremely many types of music, but his neoclassical songs are best, listen to 2Storyteller"!

John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola are thie kings of versatile guitar playing. They can play jazz, rock, flamenco, classical, and more.

I think I made it clear at the start of the thread that this was not a technical battle. Also, the guitar work in "the Silent Man" isn't country. John Petrucci doesn't really like acoustic. But compare the two players on electric guitar, and John Petrucci makes Michael Romeo look like he plays the same thing in every song.

I wouldn't say Romeo is technically better. but out of th etwo, I definetly take Romeo. Althought they play different styles, Petruccis is more of a progresseive metal guitarist, where Romeo is a neo-classical guitarist and doesn't require all the things Petrucci does.

Romeo is a super clean player, and his solo album is incredible.

ApocalypticOceansRising said:
I wouldn't say Romeo is technically better. but out of th etwo, I definetly take Romeo. Althought they play different styles, Petruccis is more of a progresseive metal guitarist, where Romeo is a neo-classical guitarist and doesn't require all the things Petrucci does.
Never assume that a guitarist is more technical simply because he plays progressive music. John Petrucci can't sweep pick well, but Mike is a master of it. Mike also has much better tapping/legato skills.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola are thie kings of versatile guitar playing. They can play jazz, rock, flamenco, classical, and more.

I think I made it clear at the start of the thread that this was not a technical battle. Also, the guitar work in "the Silent Man" isn't country. John Petrucci doesn't really like acoustic. But compare the two players on electric guitar, and John Petrucci makes Michael Romeo look like he plays the same thing in every song.

The woed i forgot after "country" was "rock", and it IS country rock, that bend is used a million times by mostly all countryrock guitarists, i would know because my brother is one, and has several videos with other known ones.
PLUS, the JP - MJR thing you said is absolutely correct........only OPPOSITE!

I've always felt that it's somewhat pointless to compare guitar players once they've reached a certain level. Is Satriani better than Vai? Is Vai better than Yngwie? Is Yngwie better than Stevie Ray? It all comes down to style and sound, and what appeals to the individual listener.

Personally, it's hard for me to gauge John's playing, as I don't listen to Dream Theater. However, that has nothing to do with John, and everything to do with the fact that I find LaBrie's voice to be one of the more annoying sounds on this planet. When I saw John play at G3 I thought he was brilliant. Whenever I've seen Michael play, I've found him to be equally as brilliant.

GZ