Romeo in G3????

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
people barely knew who Petrucci was on that tour...

Am I the only one here who thinks Satriani, is incredibly boring, lame, cheezy and cliche? :confused:
Yup. :D

Originally posted by shredguitarman
Not ordered Snow yet - the reviews so far have said it the Beard's masterpiece.... tell me what u think when u get it..

I've already downloaded the entire two albums....
I'm most certainly going to buy this record.
The first album is much vocal oriented and sometimes they rock harder...
It too has some great vocal performances on the tracks Devil's Got my Throat and Long Time Suffering

The second album is more instrumental and features two songs sung by Nick as lead vocal (Carie and Looking for Answers)

Some really crunchy sounding Saxes in the album :D

Definetly is a masterpiece amd worth the buy

Greetz

*smacks self* there is no hope...

I have surfing with the alien, over processed tone, and one good song. The extremist, just boring, can anyone not listen to summer song and just cringe?! Engines of Creation...the only satch album I sorta like, cuz it wasnt riddled with bad lydian 80s cheezy guitar lines. Crystal Planet is the other album I used to sorta like, I really dont like it anymore, except for the title track. I have given Satriani chance after chance, and he just bores me beyond beleif, someone on the Petrucci forum said it best once "Satch is just a blues player with a whammy bar" Steve Vai annihilates him in creativity, phrasing. texture, and basiclly ballziness and soul...Vai doesnt sound artifical and over processed. IMO Satch would be a decent lead player in a band he didnt write songs in, ala his protigee Kirk Hammett. I own the double DVD set, I bought it in a last ditch effort to get into this guy...best part of the whole DVD was Stu Hamms bass solo. I can see why people like Satch though, and i think he is a competant player, he just makes muzak. I like instru,mental players with soul and balls...Steve Morse, Vinni Moore, Tony Macalpine etc etc plus Andy Timmons does what satch does 1000 times better, not to mention far mre innovative shredders such as Freak Kitchen lead guitar player Mattias Eklundh...Listening to Satch, he sounds dated, and bland. Engines was a suprising turn, although it was shunned by almost everyone. The capper was seeing him at G3, and actaully falling asleep, the last straw of me trying to get into this guy for almost 5 years now. Ill end my rant, with, hes not my ting, I drathe rlisten to Vai and Im not even much of a vai fan (Passion and Warfare, Sex and Religion, Fire Garden, all timeless pieces)

end rant.

:D

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
*smacks self* there is no hope...

I have surfing with the alien, over processed tone, and one good song. The extremist, just boring, can anyone not listen to summer song and just cringe?! Engines of Creation...the only satch album I sorta like, cuz it wasnt riddled with bad lydian 80s cheezy guitar lines. Crystal Planet is the other album I used to sorta like, I really dont like it anymore, except for the title track. I have given Satriani chance after chance, and he just bores me beyond beleif, someone on the Petrucci forum said it best once "Satch is just a blues player with a whammy bar" Steve Vai annihilates him in creativity, phrasing. texture, and basiclly ballziness and soul...Vai doesnt sound artifical and over processed. IMO Satch would be a decent lead player in a band he didnt write songs in, ala his protigee Kirk Hammett. I own the double DVD set, I bought it in a last ditch effort to get into this guy...best part of the whole DVD was Stu Hamms bass solo. I can see why people like Satch though, and i think he is a competant player, he just makes muzak. I like instru,mental players with soul and balls...Steve Morse, Vinni Moore, Tony Macalpine etc etc plus Andy Timmons does what satch does 1000 times better, not to mention far mre innovative shredders such as Freak Kitchen lead guitar player Mattias Eklundh...Listening to Satch, he sounds dated, and bland. Engines was a suprising turn, although it was shunned by almost everyone. The capper was seeing him at G3, and actaully falling asleep, the last straw of me trying to get into this guy for almost 5 years now. Ill end my rant, with, hes not my ting, I drathe rlisten to Vai and Im not even much of a vai fan (Passion and Warfare, Sex and Religion, Fire Garden, all timeless pieces)

end rant.

:D
Another example of 'you can't please em all.' :p

I like Satch up to Time Machine. After that, I was too far gone into liking really technical players and altered harmony after that. I still have a soft spot for The Extremist and Time Machine, and Surfing With The Alien will always be important since it is one of the CD's that got me playing guitar in the first place.
But the other albums were too minor pentatonic-intensive for my liking.

Know what you mean Ulitma,

Satch got me started off on the more techinical side... upto hearing him I was playing blues and standard rock fare.. he kinda made me realise what you could be playing on guitar with his legato runs in Lords of Karma and cool voicings in Echo...

But then I heard Dream Theater/Symphony X....

And I guess that was the ultimate for me...BANDs with cool guitar players - actual songs with words!!! And every song being totally different.... and then appreciating every instrument - not just the guitar..

I'm still in awe of Petrucci/Romeo now..... guess it's their alternate picking that holds the biggest draw still... I've studied Satch for years and can pretty much play all his stuff but there is still that mysticism with Petrucci/Romeo....

monkeyface.jpg

monkeyface!