JSX tone test

Hey. I think you're on the right track with the tone, but on the whole it's a bit hollow. It needs a little bit of upper-mid richness to it, to really fill out to frequency spectrum of the mix. If the amp dials work anything like a 5150, the 'Presence' knob would do the trick right there.

Also, evidently the tone needs a bit of post-EQ. Some low-mid cuts, and high end/high mid boosts (unless those are done at the amp).

Good stuff!

This thread makes me happy... thank you... I just aquired a JSX myself and have yet to spend some serious time tweaking/recording it...

I get to dive into that this weekend...

again, your tone makes me very happy because its close to what I hope to achieve with mine...

How did you mic the cab and what were the setting on your 808?

Also, evidently the tone needs a bit of post-EQ. Some low-mid cuts, and high end/high mid boosts (unless those are done at the amp).

When you say cuts and/or boosts, do you mean +/- 15db or just slight changes? Also what are the frequency ranges I'm looking for to cut or boost?

Good job, great tone considering it's a 2x12.

Thanks Kazrog! Actually the Avatar 2x12 seems a bit over-sized and gives you almost that 4x12 feel.

ok, so here is my XSr (he he) test clips... Marshall 1960BV *two g12T75's, two V30s*

Mic'd the V30, of course... straight on where the cap meets the cone

I did the same 60/12k pass on all three tracks... no other eq

Setting 1: Pres 7, Res 6, Treb 4, Mid 4, Bass 6, Gain 4, Master 6/6
Setting 2: Pres 7.5, Res 7, Treb 5.5, Mid 0, Bass 7, Gain 5, Master 6/6

Test 1:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test1.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 ( 0 drive, tone@noon, ballance@noon) >
(4 tracks Setting 1) > Presonus DigiMax LT

Test 2:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test2.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 >
(2 tracks Setting 1 panned 80% L/R) >
(2 tracks Setting 2 w/ 808 @ drive@9oclock, tone@noon, balance@noon panned 100% L/R) > Presonus DigiMax LT

Test 3:
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/AudioPhile777/XSr_test3.mp3

Schecter Hellraiser 81> maxon 808 >
(2 tracks Setting 1 panned 100% L/R) >
(2 tracks Setting 2 w/ 808 @ drive@9oclock, tone@noon, balance@noon panned 80% L/R) > Presonus DigiMax LT

I have to say, I fuggin love this amp... so versatile...

Duuuuuuuude, Seriously love how that 81 sounds. I'll have to try that setting with the mids cut out. I'm swapping pickup positions on my hellraiser tonight. The gibson sounds too tinny with the 81 in the bridge, but that sounds badass in the c-1.

On the whole, the amp sounds very 'In Search of Truth', going from those clips. It has that 5150 saturation element, yet the hollowness of the sound reminds me of the dual and triple rect.
I'll be convinced when I actually hear one sound like that in the room.

I really think the JSX needs the right combo of a good sounding guitar (wood) and the right pickups to sound good. A quality boost also helps.
What I mean in saying that, is that it seems to me like a guitar/ pickup combo that are slightly dull, scooped and have a decent, tight lowend fit well with the JSX as it makes the active EQ easier to tame, hence the nice tone available from the 81.
A tight cab like the Marshall is apparently a great fit for the amp too.

Swapped pickup positions and put the 81 in the bridge and my Hellraiser now sings. Much more clarity. I'm going to work on something tonight hopefully and post it using Audiophile's settings.

On the whole, the amp sounds very 'In Search of Truth', going from those clips. It has that 5150 saturation element, yet the hollowness of the sound reminds me of the dual and triple rect.
I'll be convinced when I actually hear one sound like that in the room.

I'll totally throw some mics in my room (the room sounds like shit) but it'll still show off the guitar tone... I'll post all the mics in their separate wavs... wont be able to until this weekend...