First JSX Test

Nice clips. EMG has a bit of nasality compared to the JB imo. Could be a good thing in a full mix but I prefer the JB. I think the overall sound is slightly dull. How about a bit more treble?
Anyway, your playing is excellent. Congratulation. I wish I could play that tight.

DSS3, I've read through your previous posts about the 5150 head.

After testing those amps, which one do YOU prefer ? (JSX or 5150)

From what I listened to, I like the JSX better.
But, maybe you just improved yourself in the way you recorded, tracked and mix everything :)

fuck, you're only 16 and already got 2 of these huge valve amps. Already 22 and I still never owned one of them.... its gonna happen

I easily prefer the JSX - tighter, more responsive, cleaner sounding overall, way more versatile, and a clean channel!

I sold the 5150 to purchase the JSX, though, so it's not here anymore.

I'm going to try an 85 in the bridge today or tomorrow and see if that gives a nice, even mix of the two. I'll also combine the tracks and see what blending the 81/JB sounds like.

I suppose the issue with same settings but different PUs is that different PUs demand different settings on the amp.

On that second slew of clips, I can't really say the 81 is blowing my mind or anything. The JB seems to have a lusher tonality, whereas the 81, whilst still retaining that rhythmic superiority, just has a hollow, nasal quality to it.

Having said that, adjusting amp EQ accordingly could change the situation.

Cheers for actually doing these shootouts.

That's great dude. I guess these are as much for your own benefit as ours? haha.

I like the 85 take, but it's a bit too pronounced seemingly around the 400hz mark, which makes it sound a lil boxy and 2 dimensional. Some of the quad track takes seem to suffer from this also, but generally the 81 and the JB seem to mesh quite well don't they?

I think the 81 and JB sound kinda off for some reason, maybe its just me.

I've got to do some more recordings of this 85, though. After tweaking the settings properly, this thing is crushing the other two! Tighter than the JB, but not as metallic or harsh as the 81, and an insane lead voicing!

I got it 2nd hand - didn't come with the stock pre's, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a shitty Sovtek in the PI, and wasn't all too thrilled with the GE's in all three slots, either.

Haha I see my opinion is not valid around here...
It seems to be a pretty common whine about the JSX. It isn't exactly a gate that you can use in a Mesh'gah cover/ rip off band, thats for sure.