G12K-85 first test

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
Might not be the best settings/mic placement ever. I did this real quick after I mounted them in the good old Harley Benton.
But honestly, this is about the sweetest tone I have heard in person.
I need to test them further but they might end up in my Mesa cab very soon.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2973685/nogod.mp3

(ts808/6505/G12K-85/single SM57)

Thoughts?

Yup 85's (they were renamed G12K-100 eventually).
Thanks for the comment.
I definitely think I scooped the mids too much but they have a lot of potential.

It's not terrible by any means, but it's not amazing either.
Whatever mastering chain you're using and the lack of separation in the low end and lower mids has pretty much 2 dimensionalized the whole affair.
Definitely didn't mid scoop it too much at all. Compared to any of my favorite production references, this definitely has too much mids and some tonal junk that rob the vocals of breathing space. Needs less high mids and perhaps a little more upper mids to compensate.
I would be interested to hear this after some EQ-ing, a bit less of full force mastering chain settings and some clean up in the low end and lower mids.
Sounds like the speakers may have some good potential.

Ermz, is that you? :loco:
:D

Thanks for the comments guys.
Harry, like I said, it's just a rough first attempt inserted in a pre-existing (yet not great) mix. Not even the type of sound Peter (bloodsoaked) is going for. There's no space carved to fit the other instruments other than the usual HP/LP.
That being said, I'm intrigued by the mastering chain comment.