Judas priest new album

Well, all they have to do is be vague in their lyrical concept and they should pretty much cover it...."In the year of the hamster, watch to the north for the broken saddle. It will boil the peas! Many will suffer...."

Anyway, I still can't really get into Angel of Retribution. We'll see. A concept could set them on a better path.

If Lochness is of any indication, this one will be the cheesiest metal album ever. Which is absolutely cool in my book, as long as the songs aren't 14 minutes long just for the sake of being "epic". I think everyone expecting mature lyrical content from Priest gave up in the late 70s anyway.

I really liked AoR, by the way. An excellent "coming home" album by JP.:kickass:

As many of you know, I have a bit of a fixation on concept albums. My collection is rife with them. Oddly enough, it has nothing to do with the "concept" as I pay very little attention to lyrics.

I couldn't care less about the story, yet most of my favorite albums are concept albums or rock/metal operas. What kind of sense does that make? Plenty, actually.

I like concept albums best because the MUSIC is usually better. Concept albums aren't rushed. They are usually well thought out and created over a long period of time. The music needs to be adjusted to the lyrics, and vice versa. Songs are polished and fine-tuned to perfection. Extra nuances are added, like choirs, symphonies, random effects. Concept albums demand versatility in the songwriting and the performers. You can't have a one dimensional concept album, it must convey the gamut of emotions: anger, sadness, love, happiness, etc.

That said, I'm not holding my breath on the new Judas Priest. They've never been known as a "deep" band and I question whether they have the talent to write this story lyricly, and then match it to some great music. I'll be watching, but I won't be holding my breath...

...unless it's the year of the hamster...

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
That said, I'm not holding my breath on the new Judas Priest. They've never been known as a "deep" band

Sad Wings through Stained Class? Incredible lyrics (most of the time, hehe) and awesome atmosphere, especially on Stained Class.

The album is going to be performed in it's entirety via a theatrical show. That could be great fun to watch even if the aalbum is not amazing.

Jean-Pierre said:
Sad Wings through Stained Class? Incredible lyrics (most of the time, hehe) and awesome atmosphere, especially on Stained Class.
Granted, that period was their most creative and thought provoking. But the lyrics were still pretty simplistic, especially by today's concept album standards. This time they have to write a story, not just a few profound verses here and there. I'd love to hear them go back to the atmospheric sounds of Sad Wings and Stained Class though. That's my fave Priest!

NP: Rage - Unity

I couldnt come to terms with shelling out cash for Angel when I heard it and I dont miss not owning it. Its good party music but i was looking for a little more.

The idea (albeit not original) is cool. Most definitively will have to check upon release.

As for AOR was a moderated comeback unworthy of the legend of JP but has it's moments for sure.

NP: Rival - 'Insane'