circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Jumbo’s Killcrane – The Slow Decay
Crucial Blast – October 26th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

JUMBOSslow.jpg

Kansan outfit, Jumbo’s Killcrane, have bludgeoned back into the metal scene with The Slow Decay. The band have a few albums to their name already such as Scratch, II Cadavers Eccellente, Carnaval De Carne, and Split EP with Rumpelstiltskin Grinder (how many bands use the word “grinder”?), but The Slow Decay should give the group much-needed exposure. Because: it’s good.

The ambient “Intro” is the first track to spew forth from the speakers. Though the title is highly unoriginal, the members’ instruments are exploratory and thus form an interesting introduction. “The Slow Decay,” however, is where the Eyehategod-esque instrumentation is first heard. The group prefers it slow and gravelly, which is a good thing in this case. The veterans also don’t hesitate to increase the pace, and “Brown” – conversely – is a testament to the reversal of the former statement. Speaking briefly about the production, it’s pretty good and oft reminds me of Mastodon’s Remission for perhaps inexplicable reasons. “Locust Blanket” is insanely fast when compared with the previous compositions. The key to enjoying The Slow Decay is taking time to listen to the songs and not going about it in a hurried fashion. “Coital Abyss” utilizes a sludge-filled riff with some drumfills for piquancy. “Die, Stabbed” is practically immovable in some places as the pace is slowed down to an almost nonexistent pace. Jumbo’s Killcrane are relatively efficient at twisting the audience’s attention and providing rousing material at the same exact time. Out of nowhere, the song lifts at the 2:30 minute mark into a quasi-lead.

The Slow Decay is perfect for the times when you’re down-and-out. This isn’t as accessible as most likeable albums tend to be, but Jumbo’s Killcrane are proficient, inspired, and good songwriters. The aforementioned record is the evidence. I rest my case.

8/10

Official Jumbo’s Killcrane website
Official Crucial Blast website