JUMMPY POP PUNK !!! RATE MY MIX!!!!

Apr 23, 2011
Heres a band i started recording a few days ago. im personally pleased with the mix but i would like to have some feedback from you guys

trial 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29987738/the longest yard e1..mp3

Note: a few drum parts will change and the cymbals are going to be turned down a smidgeeee

Trial 2 ( i kinda think the drums sound worse haha let me know what you think)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29987738/fight for every yard e1.mp3

Trial 3: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29987738/Fight For Every Yard.mp3
( i have messed up some tom hits but yeah...)

MY biggest problem i feel now is snare tone....eeekkk ( always something )

tracked 2nd song on ep today

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29987738/Tempo Chages of My Life.mp3 ( i like how this song is turning out)

really compressed, the snare is smashed to hell. sounds like your eq'ing isn't that bad.

its weird you would mention compression because i didn't put a compressor on anything accept the drums .

and what do you mean by the snare is "smashed" maybe i can figure something to do with the snare.

thanks for your input :)

that's what I meant by squashed is that the compressor is working way to hard. Do you have one on the overheads as well?

i believe so. my starting point for the drums was a preset on addictive drums then i slowly eq'ed some things to my liking however, i really didnt notice how bad the compressor was working.. some things are compressed 6:1 .. ill pull the compressor off the overhead then lighten compression on the kick and snare.. also the snare had a distortion on it lol so i took that off and its sounding better.. ill re upload it tonight or tomorrow and you can tell me what you think about it then...

Over all what do you think!? ive been doing this probably like 5 months now and i think is a wild improvement from my 1st day lol!

(thanks for the follow through! :) )

You're definitely on the right path here the guitars are sounding pretty good I think once you fix the drums it'll really help the over all mix out. Keep it up man, looking forward to the upload.

ill have it up tomorrow for sure! im recording vocals wednesday and im kinda nervous ha...

as far as space in the mix, do you feel like i have that room for vocals?

as far as space in the mix, do you feel like i have that room for vocals?
It's impossible to tell - there aren't any vocals.
In the new version the drums are still too compressed. Just listen to how the kick, works with the cymbals at 2:17. Pumping all over the place. I'd also prefer to turn down the whole drums, esp. the cymbals. And there's too much of the low end on the toms, at least on my monitors. You could high-pass them more.

Guitars and the bass sound fine.

haha drums will be the death of me !! thanks for your input however! im going to be doing intense drum editing soon

yeah imma do that tomorrow morning

with addictive drums, each individual drum has some compression on it along with the whole kit compressed under a "master bus" should i just take the master bus off and compress the kit pieces accordingly or the opposite?

The compressor in AD is good for starters but I'd rather turn it off and set up a new one on the individual channels in Cubase.

interesting! ill have to figue out how to send each drum as its own track and add the cubase compression to each drum ( if that makes since lol im horrable at recording termanology) drums are such a big deal to me however so i have to get this right!

even though it can be frusturating at the time of editing, its all still fun at the end of the day :)

is it unheard of to use slightly different drum tones on different songs in the same ep? or should i be shooting for the same kit and every setting for every song?

You can use slightly different drum tones depending on the vibe of the song. Every mix is different but when you'll get those drums to sound less smashed by all the compression going on, you'll be good to go. I also started with AD but try blending some samples with the kick and snare and see the results. There's definitively room for vocals but give more air to your drums so you won't have to compress too much the shit out of your vocals.

okay sweet thanks... check back here with in the hour because i will be re-uploading the song... i think i killed a lot of the drum compressions!!!! but i don't have that fully trained ear yet to tell completely so you all can tell me if its in a improvement.