Just a question about Sonata

rainmaker_2413

Shadow I am
Sep 23, 2006
Ok, first off, I apologize if this has already been discussed in another SA topic but since Glenn announced the band early does this mean SA will be going on a North American tour in 07? I know it was said that would be the only way a headliner would be announced early but is this really the case or did SA just want to be announced early? I would really love to see them on their own tour and at PP next year. Thanks in advance for any replies.

He said he was asked by the band's management to make the announcement. I never read anything that suggested it was because they were planning a full tour.

He said he was asked by the band's management to make the announcement. I never read anything that suggested it was because they were planning a full tour.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. It would still be nice if they did go on a tour though.

Ok, first off, I apologize if this has already been discussed in another SA topic but since Glenn announced the band early does this mean SA will be going on a North American tour in 07? I know it was said that would be the only way a headliner would be announced early but is this really the case or did SA just want to be announced early? I would really love to see them on their own tour and at PP next year. Thanks in advance for any replies.

They will most likely will be doing a tour. Their early announcment is definitely a factor in that. Their last two tours (headlining and supporting Overkill) did really really well. I even heard that promotors called up their management asking for more 2006 shows but the band was in their pre production stages.

Also if you look at the Jaxx page it has SA listed for upcomming shows.

My guess? Of the PP lineup (so far), Firewind (since it was announced that the Allegiance tour is a 'world tour' so we've yet to see if this Prog Power appearance is just a stop on their tour or if it *is* their US 'tour') and Sonata Arctica will be doing US tours (maybe even together). The rest will be exclusives.

Ok I'm curios about Jaxx....I live about 5 hours away and have noticed that they get ALOT of really good shows and they all seem to sell out, like the Blind Guardian show....Personally, I am going to see BG in Charlotte, NC and I'm kinda doubting it will sell out there. So is Jaxx just a really great venue, better promotion..what? I'm not too knowledgable on this type of stuff so I'm just kinda wondering whyalot of the times that place gets hit up so often by so many great bands. I guess that if Sonata goes there and not NC, I will go see them and that would make my first trip to Jaxx.

Ok I'm curios about Jaxx....I live about 5 hours away and have noticed that they get ALOT of really good shows and they all seem to sell out, like the Blind Guardian show....Personally, I am going to see BG in Charlotte, NC and I'm kinda doubting it will sell out there. So is Jaxx just a really great venue, better promotion..what? I'm not too knowledgable on this type of stuff so I'm just kinda wondering whyalot of the times that place gets hit up so often by so many great bands. I guess that if Sonata goes there and not NC, I will go see them and that would make my first trip to Jaxx.

This is my theory. Jaxx is the only decent place that has these kinds of shows, but serves a fairly large, well-populated area - basically the entire of D.C-Baltimore area. Also, Jaxx is not a very large venue, thus only so many tickets. However, I've been to some shows with pretty big names, such as Gamma Ray and Stratovarius, which did not sell out. If I recall, I don't even think the Evergrey/Nevermore show sold-out (although it was crowded as hell, though). Sometimes, the 9:30 club has an occasional show, such as DragonForce, and which I hear is a larger venue - but I've never been there myself, so I don't know what it's like (plus I hear it is in a pretty bad part of town as well). At least Jaxx is in a somewhat decent area and relatively easy to get to as well.

This is my theory. Jaxx is the only decent place that has these kinds of shows, but serves a fairly large, well-populated area - basically the entire of D.C-Baltimore area. Also, Jaxx is not a very large venue, thus only so many tickets. However, I've been to some shows with pretty big names, such as Gamma Ray and Stratovarius, which did not sell out. If I recall, I don't even think the Evergrey/Nevermore show sold-out (although it was crowded as hell, though). Sometimes, the 9:30 club has an occasional show, such as DragonForce, and which I hear is a larger venue - but I've never been there myself, so I don't know what it's like (plus I hear it is in a pretty bad part of town as well). At least Jaxx is in a somewhat decent area and relatively easy to get to as well.

I would say that you're right. I've wanted to go to many many shows there but up until about a year ago, I didn't have enough money to fund my trips so now I'm planning on goin to Jaxx every so often when shows skip my state. I didn't know that it was around DC though, that really explains alot.

A few notes:
Jaxx is easy to get to with much lodging nearby -a Plus
They get a lot of good shows - a Plus
I'm in Raleigh ad it is not a bad drive up - a Plus
Better to go when a show is not sold out as their total capacity includes the back room, so, when sold out it is miserable. - a Big Minus
Saw BG their last time...well, heard them anyways...tooooo freakin' crowded and I avoid it when i think it is going to sell out, hence why we are doing the Charlotte show instead (though this is my first trek to Tremont).
Also, sound is not as good at Jaxx as in other clubs I have been to.

9:30 club is a pretty nice club, though a pain in the ass to get to and back out of if you are not well versed in downtown DC driving. Have cabbed it from Crystal City though getting that ride home one can wait at times for a bit.
Neighborhood is not great but have never had any problems.
Much better sound here than at Jaxx.

Depending where you are The Norva in Norfolk is a great club (think 9:30 club on steroids), just does not get anywhere near the good shows Jaxx gets.

9:30 club is a pretty nice club, though a pain in the ass to get to and back out of if you are not well versed in downtown DC driving. Have cabbed it from Crystal City though getting that ride home one can wait at times for a bit.

Neighborhood is not great but have never had any problems.
Much better sound here than at Jaxx..

Thanks for the rundown on the 9:30 club. I've never been there before either, but as bands move up the food chain (e.g. DragonForce), I might have to consider going there.

What Metro stop is it near? If SkiBumMSP goes up there, I might bum a ride with him. Best bet for us would be to park at the Franconia-Springfield stop and take the Metro in.