Just a random thought.

the_lone_bard

Sep 7, 2010
So, i finally got my waiting in the wings, and it's different to the mf/tge that i've heard...
for the most part i'd have to say you guys have steadily gotten better but the final song on the album, pieces... now i know that it's your music and i love it, and would NEVER question what you make...
with that said, i'm going to question what you make :D

So basicly my only question, why is it you guys havn't done any ballads like this since witw? i mean i love the ones you have done and one last goodbye is probably one of my all time favourite songs, but this is just... well you guys pulled it off so well....

So just a heads up, if you thought people didn't like them, i know for a fact i do!

They didn't make any ballads like this again because 'Pieces' was a last minute improvise thing (imagine if they'd really taken the time and thought this one through....:D )

Kyrt's reaction about the making of (taken from the 'Keyboard Sheet Music?-thread'):
About Pieces, that song ended up like a last minute thing, the last night in the studio during the witw sessions. We wanted to have an extra song for a possible japanrelease and Tommy had some chords he showed me.
I spent maybe an hour to jam and then we recorded a couple of different takes, and kept the one witch is on the album.
What i mean is, it was not prepared at all, and i didn't have any notesheet.. i just improvised..
When we play Pieces live, it sounds a little different every time, since i dont remember exactly every note.." busted" :heh:

All fun aside, I think the song is amazing. The fact that it's not that 'thick' -using all instruments - gives it that special feeling.
I just love the simpleness and pureness of it!

Fantastic lyrics, by the way:
"You're watching the world
While she's falling to pieces
But still you smile
And every time your babies cry
You hold 'em tight
So tell me
Who's the fool when the curtains fall?
And the future is gone"

Mother Earth is dying, but we keep on smiling and pretending.....

WAIT A MINUTE....
:hotjump:...........:yow:

Nah, it can't be.

WAIT A MINUTE....
:hotjump:...........:yow:

Nah, it can't be.

what? let me know! :D

anyway, Pieces is a wonderful ballad, even if it was conceived as a "filler". In TGE we have plenty of "piano-voice" slow parts, so maybe it was useless to have another piano-voice ballad. My opinion. ;)

i think what he's hinting at is the same as what i thought (bearing in mind i heard it LONG AFTER i'd stuck tge 'song not album' on repeat for about a month straight)
it sounds like a freaking intro to the song... i'm dead serious, if you stick that infront of tge and maybe got a 5second transition from keyboard to the guitar it would easily be one song...

anyway, i wasn't meaning specifically piano voice ballads, what i meant was, why is it that with the exception of one last goodbye there isn't any straight up ballads other than smaller sections of larger songs (See: the intro of break the silence, the latter part of alley cat, etc, etc.) i mean, seventh wonder do everything great and this is no exception, and if it was just a last minute thing imagine what could happen if they planned it... my prediction is that every other band would just turn around and say "know what, screw it, they win, lets go home guys, no more ballads, these guys have beaten us before we even tried."

Really cool, and it's quite a nice transition between the two. I guess it's a reoccurring theme for the guys, what we do to Mother Earth. We also have Wiseman in the same lyrical theme.

well, we have Long Way Home which is an amazing ballad..... don't need anything else ;)

Probably my favorite SW ballad! The final chorus where Tommy and Jenny stretch that last note out is amazing! I love One Last Goodbye too, but the voiceovers in the bridge kinda kill it for me.

Not to mention the first few minutes of TGE in which Tommy probably has his best singing ever!

i didn't really like the first part of tge to be honest.
it's not BAD or anything, it's just not really my thing, personally i would have prefered it were done like the intro to break the silence.
lone way home, while great i don't think it is strictly a ballad so much as a 50/50 split between ballad and slower seventh wonder song.
as for one last goodbye i guess i've just zoned out of hearing the voiceovers unless i'm trying... i have the lyrics in the background memorized along with the rest of the song but i can't for the life of me remember what the voiceovers say... and that's saying something considering i literally just heard that part of the song while typing this...

but in conclusion seventh wonder does everything great even i can see that about certain songs that i don't personally like. but above all there is just something about certain songs that stand so far above the rest for no discernable reason, IE: dining on ashes from tge, break the silence intro and chorus, pieces, star of david... to me they just stand so far above any other musical piece i've heard before and i can't for the life of my tell why.