Just another rate my tone thread

Salvation 13 said:
Clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=3848359&key=3593B8ED-5

Nevermind the drums and the bass sound, how do you like the guitar tone?
This is 4 tracks unnotched and 2 notched on the crunch channel of my cobra, boosted with bad monkey.
your amp really growels! that aspect sounds awesome to me. however it sounds like some point in your chain might be being pushed a bit too hard, there isn't a lot of pick attack coming through with the dirty tone. too much gain somewhere perhaps.

Salvation 13 said:
Thanks. I guess it is the bad monkey, it makes the sound smoother but also looses a bit definition. I had my gain at 1 o'clock.
does your head have separate "master" and "output" knobs? if there's a level knob before your final output volume knob, that one might be too high. I've had this problem with my mesa preamp.

what were the bad monkey's settings?

Salvation 13 said:
Nope, only channel vol and master vol. The settings on the bad monkey were: vol=full, bass&hi at 1 o'clock, gain=0.
yeah that's got to be it. try putting the bad monkey at 12 o'clock max for volume. leave the gain low but it doesn't have to be off. don't worry if it sounds like you don't have enough gain when you're playing...once you double or quadruple those tracks you'll have plenty.

Here's a new attempt:

http://download.yousendit.com/5428C1140AF2811B

This time I used the mesa cab with the 57 on it's usual place and the cobra cab miked with a NT1A. The clip is from the beginning to about 0:37 boosted crunch channel and from there without the boost. I also upped the presence a bit on the unboosted one.

What do you think? Is the low end too boomy? Do the guitars sound distant when compared to commercial recordings?

Salvation 13 said:
Here's a new attempt:

http://download.yousendit.com/5428C1140AF2811B

This time I used the mesa cab with the 57 on it's usual place and the cobra cab miked with a NT1A. The clip is from the beginning to about 0:37 boosted crunch channel and from there without the boost. I also upped the presence a bit on the unboosted one.

What do you think? Is the low end too boomy? Do the guitars sound distant when compared to commercial recordings?
the guitars do sound a bit distant. did you have your amps turned up very loud? you could also add a boost post recording somewhere around 10khz to the guitars to give them a more up-front sound.

cranking your amps always helps..however that NT1A might not be able to handle a fully cranked head.

I'm tending to like the unboosted sound a bit more on this sample...it has a bit more movement to it...the growling is more apparent, if that makes sense. but it's not a huge difference imo.

overall I think it's sounding pretty decent man...but I can't comment on the bass because I'm using crappy headphones at work..hehe

Carrier Flux said:
the guitars do sound a bit distant. did you have your amps turned up very loud? you could also add a boost post recording somewhere around 10khz to the guitars to give them a more up-front sound.

cranking your amps always helps..however that NT1A might not be able to handle a fully cranked head.

I'm tending to like the unboosted sound a bit more on this sample...it has a bit more movement to it...the growling is more apparent, if that makes sense. but it's not a huge difference imo.

The master volume was set at 12 o'clock. I like the unboosted more too, it has more definition. I'll have to play with the mic placement more.

I had the 57 4.0 cm (1.57 inch) away from the grille and the NT1A 8.0 cm.

Salvation 13 said:
The master volume was set at 12 o'clock. I like the unboosted more too, it has more definition. I'll have to play with the mic placement more.

I had the 57 4.0 cm (1.57 inch) away from the grille and the NT1A 8.0 cm.
wow the NT1A must have some serious SPL capacity. I have an NT1 and I hear mic distortion with my 20 watt mesa poweramp not even coming close to full volume.

keep it up!

Ok, here's a new attempt. This time I used 2 cabs, the mesa mic'd with a 57 and the cobra cab mic'd with a NT1A. Now it has a lot more high end and is more open sounding. But the guitars sound still kinda distant, what the hell am I doing wrong?

(I have the mic pre set to 1 o'clock, the 57 is on it's brightest point, the amp's master volume is at 12 o'clock, presence=1, hi=2, mids=2 and the bass is at 10 o'clock).

I panned the guitars like this: 2 tracks hard left/right and 2 tracks to 50% left/right. This helped a bit, but didn't get rid of the problem completely.

Here's the song:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=3848359&key=4AE2C53A-C

Edit:

Seems that a single 57 just sounds better than having multiple mics. Here's a version with only the 57:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=3923293&key=565C31BC-A

if one 57 sounds best to you, go with it. personally I'm a big fan of mixing mics. I can't get what I want out of one 57. but many here use only one 57, so clearly it's a good option if it works for you.

and yeah your recording lacks presence. although I couldn't listen to the last soundlick option you have on there...have to register or something..bleh..

I'm having much of the same problem with presence. what I've been doing lately is adding a huge spike in the EQ at around 10khz to the guitars (I guess I mentioned that before, ah well). if everything was mic'd well and you're using good gear (which you are) you can add a lot of EQ without sending the quality into the gutter. Sonic Foundry Sound Forge EQ works well for this. I've been using that in sonar as a DX effect.

the guitars sound alittle muffled in the first recording, but they still sound pretty sweet, very crunchy. the second clip sounds better to me though, its a bit fuller sounding. kinda opeth esque in sound.

Salvation 13 said:
The second clip is just that. I added a 3dB spike to the guitars at 5kHz and a 3 dB spike at 8kHz in "mastering".
sounds pretty good man. still sounds to me like the input stage is getting choked with too much gain or level boosting, killing some of the transients; but maybe that's not a big deal for this song..just something I noticed.

I think the guitars are sounding pretty good though.. horns up ;)