Behemoth ENGL Powerball Clip!

poidaobi

Held in Hollows
Mar 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
First Clip.

Conquer All

Updated Version: I tried to add some highs. The bass I didnt really try and fix yet.

Conquer All Highs

Amp is an ENGL Powerball with a 1960 Cab (GT-75's)
Drums are Battery
Bass is Some Bass program came with Cubase.

I dont really have any good recording equipment.

It was just a Shure SM57 into my Motherboard Soundcard.

The thing i dislike the most about the tone is the gritty coarsey sound if ya understand what im saying.

hey Peter, welcome to the sneap forum.

That clip wasn't bad actually. It's kind of hard to tell with that quality of mp3, but as per usual with home recordings, its lacking a bit in highs. I think you need to add a bit of excitement to the entire thing. The low end is a bit muffled and sludgey, maybe try to control the low end a bit on the guitars, make sure the bass isn't conflicting with the bass drum. More highs!

Moonlapse said:
hey Peter, welcome to the sneap forum.

That clip wasn't bad actually. It's kind of hard to tell with that quality of mp3, but as per usual with home recordings, its lacking a bit in highs. I think you need to add a bit of excitement to the entire thing. The low end is a bit muffled and sludgey, maybe try to control the low end a bit on the guitars, make sure the bass isn't conflicting with the bass drum. More highs!

Cheers for the reply. I basically agree with everything you said. But whether I can rectify those problems is another thing.

Im from Melbourne aswell! :headbang:

With "more highs". It's best to try and get that with mic positioning? Rather than boosting later on?

Sorry to hijack......Im new to micing amps here so please forgive me....

I have a sm57 and an audiophile card. Is there an adapter or some shit to hook up the sm57? I tried running the mic into my guitarport and that sounded like complete ass...I guess I need a preamp huh?

//end hijack

LIstening with some shitty monitor speakers but sounds pretty damn good...

....tune sounds like Be All End All by Anthrax...

I think a solid pre-amp would def. give you a better sound cameltoe, there are other ways i guess, but like that toneport hookup, it's probably going to sound like ass..

poidaobi said:
Cheers for the reply. I basically agree with everything you said. But whether I can rectify those problems is another thing.

Im from Melbourne aswell! :headbang:

With "more highs". It's best to try and get that with mic positioning? Rather than boosting later on?

Hey, yeah I know you're from Melbourne. Luke sort of introduced us over the net way back. You did the JMC short course with him. You also post on Melband... I'm Ermin.

Anyhow, with more highs, try to do what works. If you like the character that the mic in a certain position gives you, shifting it more to the center will give you more highs yeah, but at the expense of that character. Maybe try adding some highs on the amp itself, or as a last resort boosting it afterwards when you're mixing.

With the drums a simple high shelf on most elements will make your mix sound more lively.

Also as I said, I'd really recommend cleaning up the low-end a bit. Just make sure the guitars aren't boomy and conflicting with the bass, and make sure the kick isn't conflicting with them either.

By the way, your updated 'all highs' version sounds much better to me. I think the guitars could use to be a little bit darker, and perhaps have a little more mid-range... comparing to the actual Behemoth track. It was mainly the drums I was thinking about with the highs. Getting more of that attack sound of each drum in there helps differentiate them from one another.