ENGL Fireball Clip

Carrier Flux said:
btw I think you just solved a riddle for me. I've been listening to the new Defleshed album non-stop lately, and wondering about the guitar rig. After checking out your clip then throwing in "Reclaim The Beat" I think they're using the same [or same manufacturer at least] rig as you.

Glad to be of service! :headbang: I'll have to check out the new album as well!

Have a good one.

Yes. Indeed. \m/ Those are just beautiful sounding rhythm guitars, dude.

This once again proves my theory...

All Germans love David Hasselhoff.

and that every ENGL clip I have heard is just fucking good, period.

wow ..... damn, that's a fucking nice rhythm sound.
the clean tone is not my kind of thing. never liked the v-amp anyway.

but you will definitely like the savage 120.
if i would buy an engl amp it would be that one.
recorded our last album with a 5150 I and the savage 120.
best engl ever.

CJWall said:
Awesome, this is what I needed. ;) yes, the arrangement does need work. This is the difficult part for me personally. Actually all 3 parts are recorded on totally seperate days and kind of spliced together.. The lead, ahh the lead in the first part, yes, that would be the effect. I have this VST plug-in that I like to use on my leads, but I may have went to heavy on it in that part (and overall as well), as it actually adds those phasey out of tune notes and dirtys' up the sound quite a bit, I always felt there was something wierd about that part, now I think I know what it is.

I actually never recorded my cleans through the Fireball because of my lack of effects but now that I really think about it, I could use VST effects and or just use the V-Amp solely as an effects unit, hmm.. thanks for the specifics.

Don't get too frustrated with your tone search man! 14 years? wow! <looks at liscense> I'm only 21! haha. I actually had a 5150 for a few years but was never really satisfied with it. Sent it off to Voodoo Amps to get modified and when I got it back I still didn't dig it. It did sound very good, but was wayyy too dry! Very VHT-like. I then proceeded to sell the Voodoo 5150 to fund my ENGL. Good luck man and, thank you again!

alright man, Rule #1:

Good tone first. cheesy effects second. sacrifice effects before sacrificing tone. And yes, there are a HOST of VST plugins out there, in fact your DAW probably already has them. You don't need a phaser with 17 knobs to make your guitar sound good.

try this: instead of fooling around with your V-amp trying to get a solid state clean tone to sound good, record a nice sounding clean with your Engl, double the take (pan left and right or something along those lines) and then apply simple stuff. try chorus and delay. lots of it if that makes your naughty bits tingly. but you don't need tons of effects to make a nice soupy, rich sounding clean guitar. chorus and delay are a good place to start, and I would almost guarantee better results than whatever you're going to get going straight through your V-amp.

the simple stuff works a charm when you have a good source feeding it. and you have a great source with that engl.

fuckamutha!

That sounds really thick and freakin heavy! i love the tone.. actually, it sounds so good, it kinda sounds too good to be mixed with the drums to me.. i would love to hear this with the real deal, or at least DFH1 or DFHS.. i think it would suit you just fine...

What pitchshifter did you use for the bass by the way? waves soundshifter P?

:worship: great tone!

Black neon bob said:
fuckamutha!

That sounds really thick and freakin heavy! i love the tone.. actually, it sounds so good, it kinda sounds too good to be mixed with the drums to me.. i would love to hear this with the real deal, or at least DFH1 or DFHS.. i think it would suit you just fine...

What pitchshifter did you use for the bass by the way? waves soundshifter P?

:worship: great tone!

Thanks man! I am a very big fan of your production/song writing ability. I actually used one of your tunes (among others) to A/B with this :headbang:

I am semi-happy with Andy's Samples themselves and how I got them to sound, BUT I hate the way I have to go about buggeirng with FruityLoops and such as it is VERY limiting and tends to want to make everything sound like a machine. I was considering getting DFHS.. Do you think I would benefit soundwise from it? I don't want the typical Meshuggah type sound alot of people are abusing IMO (even though I am a huge fan), is it versatile? I do like that you can control the bleed and toggling different mics and such though.

I believe I just used the pitchshifter in Cubase (blagh), BUT I will have to check that program out.. the one I'm using adds some nasty noise and such.

sounds awesome man, seriously damn :headbang:

That's it I'm getting a fireball :tickled:

From what I hear the fireball is similar to the powerball in respect to it's low-end and top-end, whereas the savage and blackmore are smoother and more midrangey, for your style the fireball sounds terrific.

And yeah dfhs is definately worth it, much easier than fruity loops (which is what I used for ages as well)

keep it coming!!

Congratulations man, I no longer hate the 75W Celestions! I think that may be the best tone I've ever heard from that speaker. How did you place the mic?

Disconnekt said:
Congratulations man, I no longer hate the 75W Celestions! I think that may be the best tone I've ever heard from that speaker. How did you place the mic?

Thank you my kind sir! I used Andy's typical mic placement as a starting point and only strayed from that by a very small amount to adjust for my particular situation.

Cheers!

CJWall said:
Thank you my kind sir! I used Andy's typical mic placement as a starting point and only strayed from that by a very small amount to adjust for my particular situation.

Cheers!

So very slightly off-axis, then?

Thanks man! I am a very big fan of your production/song writing ability. I actually used one of your tunes (among others) to A/B with this

Haha.. wow.. well i just had another listen, and A/B'ed with my mix as well.. and guess what CJ... you really surpassed it bigtime.. i mean, the guitarsound is just mean as hell.. i am amazed that this is coming from a home studio project.. it could easily be slapped on to anything metal modern day, and i would be convinced it's the real deal with bill mcneal!

Really.. this has inspired me to go out there, and get a real amp as soon as i can.. be it a mesa, peavey, or an ENGL.. i am convinced that it sounds so much better then anything digital at the moment..

About DFHS...DFHS is too cool for school!
i dont know what host you have to record everything with and mix with, but it works good with almost anything out there.. DFH1 might be a good choice as well though, for a small amount of bucks, i still hear people raving about it..
However, DFHS has many options... like you said, bleed and mic control.. there are quite some drums to choose from.. i would not worry about it sounding too much like meshuggah, the drums come dry out of the box, you can EQ, compress, verb everything just like you want.. and if you have a drumreplacer program and some samples, you can easily get rid of the standard DFHS sound if you want too..
You will need good specs on your PC though..

FL studio eh?... wow, i just love the piano roll/sequencer in that program.. way better then the nuendo one!

anyway, can't wait to hear your project in a whole CJ... :headbang:

Disconnekt said:
So very slightly off-axis, then?

Actually no, more like half an inch or so more towards the outer edge of the speaker, but basically the same as Andy's. What I actually remember doing is putting it in Andy's spot and then using the "Loudest Hiss" method using headphones (Amp all the way up, guitar volume down) and just moved the mic carefully until I found the loudest spot and viiola!

cheers

Black neon bob said:
Haha.. wow.. well i just had another listen, and A/B'ed with my mix as well.. and guess what CJ... you really surpassed it bigtime.. i mean, the guitarsound is just mean as hell.. i am amazed that this is coming from a home studio project.. it could easily be slapped on to anything metal modern day, and i would be convinced it's the real deal with bill mcneal!

Really.. this has inspired me to go out there, and get a real amp as soon as i can.. be it a mesa, peavey, or an ENGL.. i am convinced that it sounds so much better then anything digital at the moment..

Really cool to hear this coming from you man! I've actually recorded this song a few weeks ago but the more I listened to it, the more I started to second guess how it sounded, you know? I figured it was finally time to let others besides my buddys take a crack at it. At least now I know I AM doing something right :)

I'm glad I can give inspiration to people, because god knows a few of you here have made me want to strive harder after hearing their mixes. Good luck to you in your amp quest man! I'm sure any respectable amp from either of those companies will do you just fine, I just have one rule:
Crank the F out of the amp when you are recording.
I had my master volume at 12'oclock when I recorded this song (mind you, my amp is only 60 watts, so it was LOVING that).

Thanks and have a good one!!